Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nostalgia vs. reality.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nostalgia vs. reality.

Old 09-24-20, 07:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Yeah, but you were a Marine. They were looking for a few good men, remember.
I think they still are...not sure I was what they wanted, but I met their needs at the time. Expendable, with enthusiasm.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-24-20, 07:16 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Looking through adds and articles in bicycling magazine at 15 years old, my dream bike was a 3rensho aerodynamics. Almost 40 years later I actually have one. I must say the nostalgia lived up to the reality!
I didn’t even know there were bike magazines back then.

Second-hand Popular Science and Popular Mechanics were my mainstays, along with Time, Newsweek, and US News & World Report, two weeks old from the library.

I didn’t see an Italian bike until I was about 20. Didn’t recognize Campagnolo until about age 27, and I thought indexing was “really cool” when I first saw it in 1987. I bought an STI-equipped Ironman in 2004, promptly determined “these don’t work,” and took it to a shop, where she calmly shifted the chain back and forth and said “they work” with a straight face and handed the bike back.
Old 09-24-20, 07:32 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
My dentist was upstairs over a candy store, the Ben Franklin downtown.
He pulled teeth for $5 cash, fillings were $10. Numbing? What was that?
He kept his tools in an aquarium that seemed to be steamy. It had some cool name. Clavicle?
The chair was a Ritter, black onyx with leather pulley straps or belts. Not high speed. I think they used them in prisons, too.
He used a pedal switch. No clamping things open, no assistant, just "hold steady," and "OK, spit."
He had Parkinson's and would shake until he got to your mouth, and then got steady.
You got very used to it, and it was actually comforting. As a child, I had no clue; thought it was normal.

Today, due to hyper-sensitivity, no numbing, maybe gas if it's not strong.
Wisdom teeth, then several root canals, no anesthetic. One took 4 hours.
I've learned to "go to another place" during these, but one guy only took 20 minutes, so I was barely "there."

As for bikes, my paper route Columbia 2-speed (kickback) was a tank and I would rather walk to the pool than take my paper route bike.

My '76 Bicentennial Free Spirit remains the most beautiful and fastest bike that I or anyone else has ever ridden.
And I'm not about to alter that with reality.
My first visit, at least the first one that I remember didn't end so well. This was back in the days when many families only had one car and ours was such a family. My father worked at a factory and frequently worked "double shifts" in order to make enough money to support our family which included 6 kids. And my mother didn't drive. She learned to drive at 16 but she was in an accident that really shook her up and she never drove again.

So getting back to the story, I was dropped off at the dentist for a check-up and it was determined that I had several teeth that needed filling, The person who had taken us to the dentist took my mother back home, leaving me there alone. I was 9 or 10 years old probably. Different days. Now mom would be brought up on charges or something. Anyway, after receiving 8 fillings, all of my molars I guess, I began walking home. Took me about 2 hours to get there, and every step was causing my teeth pain. I guess that's why I remember it!
Old 09-24-20, 07:43 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
On the subject of nostalgia, there are three bikes that I vividly remember from my childhood. One I've written about somewhere here on the forum and was a Raleigh Chopper, stick shift and all! I was so jealous! Another one was a yellow Schwinn Lemon Peeler. The front suspension was killer. And the last one was a yellow Schwinn road bike. I don't know what the model was, but it had 10 speeds, drop bars and I was cautioned not to touch the shifters because I might accidentally "strip the gears".

Meanwhile, I owned a hand-me-down bronze-colored bike with one speed. I eventually painted it with day-glo spray paint in a resplendent pink and green. I used masking tape and came up with a striped pattern which was pleasing to my juvenile eyes. I also swapped out my front tire for a super-skinny slick. I guess that was cool at the time. Or maybe that was the only cheap tire we could find? I rode literally every day and never really did any maintenance other than airing up the tires. Couldn't kill that bike. Left it outside, all year round because I didn't know any better.

Ah, the good old days....
Old 09-24-20, 07:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
He pulled teeth for $5 cash, fillings were $10. Numbing? What was that?
He kept his tools in an aquarium that seemed to be steamy. It had some cool name. Clavicle?
The chair was a Ritter, black onyx with leather pulley straps or belts. Not high speed. I think they used them in prisons, too.
He used a pedal switch. No clamping things open, no assistant, just "hold steady," and "OK, spit."
He had Parkinson's and would shake until he got to your mouth, and then got steady.
You got very used to it, and it was actually comforting. As a child, I had no clue; thought it was normal.

Today, due to hyper-sensitivity, no numbing, maybe gas if it's not strong.
Wisdom teeth, then several root canals, no anesthetic. One took 4 hours.
I've learned to "go to another place" during these, but one guy only took 20 minutes, so I was barely "there."

As for bikes, my paper route Columbia 2-speed (kickback) was a tank and I would rather walk to the pool than take my paper route bike.

My '76 Bicentennial Free Spirit remains the most beautiful and fastest bike that I or anyone else has ever ridden.
And I'm not about to alter that with reality.
This is not a time I want to go back to. I almost cut my right little finger off on a broken ketchup bottle when I was 5. I still remember picking up the broken top bottle and putting my finger in it but nothing after that. My mother said that the doctor had to have 5 men hold me down while he stitched up my hand and the memory of it bothered her all her life.

The same doctor attempted to stitch up my knee when I was 9 after I tried to put a handlebar brake clamp through my knee. My dad made him numb it before the stitches because he knew what his wife would say if I had to endure that again.

I have a couple of bikes that are old(ish) but I’m not tied to keeping them original.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-24-20, 08:00 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
BITD my 3 speed columbia (shimno 333 hub, steel rims) was the greatest, even got my bicycling merit badge on it. then I got my first 10 speed...an azuki and have never looked back
A silver Azuki was the first bike I bought with my own money back in 7th grade. I might have ridden it longer, but it was a 23” frame and in a few years it was just too small. I eventually gave it away to a friend.

Then I bought a 25” Witcomb frame and built some tubular wheels and rode the heck out of that. I still have the frame (just repainted the second time) but I haven’t been riding tubulars lately so the wheels are just hanging up in the garage.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-24-20 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-24-20, 08:29 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
This is not a time I want to go back to.
The "good old days" weren't.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-24-20, 09:48 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts
I didn’t even know there were bike magazines back then.

Second-hand Popular Science and Popular Mechanics were my mainstays, along with Time, Newsweek, and US News & World Report, two weeks old from the library.

I didn’t see an Italian bike until I was about 20. Didn’t recognize Campagnolo until about age 27, and I thought indexing was “really cool” when I first saw it in 1987. I bought an STI-equipped Ironman in 2004, promptly determined “these don’t work,” and took it to a shop, where she calmly shifted the chain back and forth and said “they work” with a straight face and handed the bike back.
It was very similar to me. I never physically touched a piece of Campy until I was over 21. That was about the time SIS was in full swing. I wanted nothing to do with Shimano in those years.
Old 09-24-20, 11:28 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
It was very similar to me. I never physically touched a piece of Campy until I was over 21. That was about the time SIS was in full swing. I wanted nothing to do with Shimano in those years.
I had a similar mindset in the late 70s (mid-teens for me). Once I got the Witcomb frame and built up tubular wheels, I wanted the bike to have good components, which tended to mean Campy if I could afford it. Although the bike ended up being a (very nice) mutt, with Campy seatpost and FD, Suntour brakes, DT shifters, RD and pedals and first gen DA cranks.

I actually still use several of those parts, though on a lowly Schwinn frame which has better pedal clearance with big platform pedals. The Witcomb is waiting to be built back up into a bike. 😕

Otto
Old 09-24-20, 12:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
My dentist was upstairs over a candy store
That's a brilliant business model.
Old 09-24-20, 12:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I don't know if I'm nostalgic for any bikes I used to own. I regret selling my 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport which I did after I bought a Peugeot PXN10LE. But the idea of having more than one bike hadn't dawned on me yet. Luckily I now have a Raleigh Super Course and a Raleigh International which are both close enough to the Gran Sport.

I rode my 1982 McLean with a Campagnolo Nuovo Record group for many years. I've since rebuilt it with a 3x9 indexed drivetrain and newer wheels. I wonder if I'd enjoy it with the old stuff on it, but I sold too much of it to try, and I don't want to go through the expense and trouble to experiment.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-24-20, 01:04 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
That's a brilliant business model.
I totally missed that!
Old 09-24-20, 01:38 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
In the '80s, Macon's loudest band that probably did the most dangerous mind-altering substances had a rehearsal loft downtown, located in the former Morris Chemical Testing Laboratories facility, directly across the street from the Macon Police Department's detective division, and directly above the Baker Hearing Aid company. It was clearly meant to be.

All these years later, my right ear still rings from the time their guitarist decided to demonstrate just how loud a Rickenbacker can be through a Marshall stack.
Old 09-28-20, 04:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Nostalgia is what you think you did.
Reality is what she says you did.
Old 09-28-20, 04:42 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
When I was a kid back in 1963 I got a shiny red Murray Missile for my 8th birthday and I have many great memories of that bike. Hence my choice of user name. I have long thought it would be great to have one for old time sake. Well, I got the opportunity to work on a virtually identical Murray built Sears Foremost from the same era....... I no longer want a Murray Missile for old time sake LOL and they can't come get this Foremost out of here soon enough. Once again I will let memories just be memories. 😎
As a kid, i had a bunch of different bikes, most were hand-me-downs from elder cousins or my sister <brrr>. I got my first own bike for my holy communion which was a 24" pseudo racer with five sachs Gears and Altenburger Synchron working (or rather: not working) on steel rims, but it had black (!) high flange (!!!) hubs. I loved it to death but i knew it was a ****ty bike the second i first time stole thehighly forbidden racer of my dad (Girardengo 1951) at the age of 14.
Old 09-28-20, 05:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
I don't pine for my early bikes, but I did get an at the time modern version of my first bike for my sister in 1977.
Raleigh Mountie.
Still in the family, so much easier to learn to ride on than the mod youth bikes. Something to be said for long trail steering.
Two years ago I did buy a sistership pf my first road bike.
the reprise was better than I remember.
Still have bike #2 , and #5
just bought a sistership of bike #3