Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

11-speed Freehub advice...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 12:57 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

2017 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon
DT Swiss R470db wheels w/Axis hubs.
OEM DT Swiss 11 speed 3-pawl Freehub (I THINK!) Freehub is unbranded but my research suggests DT Swiss OEM.
~5000 Miles. Tore it all apart to clean it. First time doing so, so I have some questions.
Bearings feel good in the hub and in the Freehub. Smooth.
Everything is now clean and ready to reassemble. Having a hard time finding Freehub specific grease locally. I have some Slick Honey which is thin grease. I think that would work. Any other suggestions? 3-1 oil? Someone at a LBS suggested motor oil!
Also, should I lube/grease the gears that are in the hub before I reinsert the freehub, or will the grease/lube on the freehub pawls be enough?
Thanks all
Old 09-29-20, 01:30 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
It is a freehub really does not need much lube as such nothing really constant like a chain or resistance. You could drop a few bits of light oil on it and that pawls. Freehubs normally don't need the attention unless you are always riding in rain and poor conditions.
Old 09-29-20, 08:59 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
If I was gonna lube either the pawls or the ratchet, I'd lube the ratchet. Use a thin grease if you want it a tiny bit quieter, but maybe not if you ever ride in freezing weather.
Old 10-02-20, 08:36 AM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Greasing the pawls is a good thing. But you don't want to put too much, or the pawls will get 'slow' to deploy, and may cause skipping when you accelerate. Oil will do nothing.

Old 10-03-20, 04:40 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I have used just about every grease known to man on freehubs over the years. Just about anything will work but the trick is not using very much at all. Rock and Roll Super Web Grease is kind of one of my favorites. Light enough to not stick the pawls if little is used yet tenacious enough to still be there in 10,000 miles.

I love the DA Shimano grease. The neon yellow looking stuff. A tiny point of it on the tips of each pawl is enough. Too much and there will definitely be a bit of drag in the system but the pawls will still actuate.

Slick Honey isn't tenacious enough. We used to use that in Alchemy hubs but it ended up being too light to prevent water infiltration in most of our applications. It's a good refill grease on cables and housings though is you can't replace them.