Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pump + Tube or sealant kit?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 03:53 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I wasn't sure what suited best.

Currently I've got a mini pump and a spare inner tube on each bike (annoyingly, all 5 bikes have different sized tubes - 20", 26", 27.5", 700x42c, 700x28c), though I don't really fancy having to replace and inflate a tube at the side of the road (especially my 700x28c road bike at ~100psi).
Does anyone have any experience of the tyre weld kits for bikes, like the Muc Off BAM? They sound like they'd make life a lot easier at the side of the road and saves having to deal with different tubes if I'm out with the wife/kids.
Old 09-29-20, 04:11 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
I use tufo sealant and have done for years now.
Never let me down. I presume they are all the same or similar.
Old 09-29-20, 08:11 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos;21718791[b
Currently I've got a mini pump and a spare inner tube on each bike (annoyingly, all 5 bikes have different sized tubes - 20", 26", 27.5", 700x42c, 700x28c), though I don't really fancy having to replace and inflate a tube at the side of the road (especially my 700x28c road bike at ~100psi).
Does anyone have any experience of the tyre weld kits for bikes, like the Muc Off BAM? [/b][b]They sound like they'd make life a lot easier at the side of the road and saves having to deal with different tubes if I'm out with the wife/kids.
It might make things easier in some circumstances such as a small glass cut or thorn where you may be able to remove the offender from the outside of the tire. Could create a nightmare when it's a larger puncture and what caused the puncture can't be seen from the outside leaving you with a tube leaking messy sealant that is now un-patchable not to mention the MucOff kit is fairly large taking up not much less space than a spare tube and repair kit. Personally I like to have a spare tube, patch kit and manual pump that hasn't failed me yet in 50 yrs. Not saying the MO sealant can is useless but it's not 100% that it will work in all situations so carry a backup. You could also just fasten the correct size spare tube to each bike so you don't have to fart around with carrying them yourself.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 09-29-20 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 10:29 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
A 700x28 tube can work as a spare for 700x42 tire, the tube will easily inflate to cover that. Personally, I like having a dedicated kit for each bike, but it's a bit of an investment. The kit consists of 1x multi-tool, 1x tube, 1xCO2 valve, 2x CO2, 1x patch kit.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 09-30-20, 07:21 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
IMO

- I have used sealants in seldom used ridden bikes that have lower pressure tires (wifes cruiser). I think they can have there use in these cases. I still make sure she has a spare tube etc...
-I do not like sealants on any of my bikes, they are messy and can be difficult to patch and can ruin a stem.
Old 09-30-20, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
This is where you need to go sit in a serene location and contemplate the direction you want to go. Both are just as equally viable. Some methods work better for some people and the other method works equally well for other people. And many of one side have bad experiences with the other choice. The two methodologies are much like religion and politics. You'll find yourself ostracized by many of the other group. <grin>

I've seen sealant that doesn't seal sometimes and I've seen patches that leak. With either there is some amount of skill whether it's picking the right sealant for your tire/tube or picking the right patch and installing it correctly.
Old 09-30-20, 10:41 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I use orange seal endurance in my tyres and carry a tube, pump, road bacon, and park tool tyre boot.
Likes For Elvo: