Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Topeak mountain morph pump o-ring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 04:50 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts

I have an old 20 years mountain morph and it quit working. I haven't ridden for a long time because of health and I worked on some friends bikes and was going to use it. It didn't work. When I took it apart the bottom had crud in it. After I put it back together it doesn't output much pressure. Because of it's age the rep at Topeak said they no longer support the pump and don't know what size o-ring fits the plunger.
Anyone out there happen to know which ring works. Like bikes there are a many standards for the rings.
When it is working it is the best frame pump you could ask for.
Old 09-24-20, 06:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I have an old 20 years mountain morph and it quit working. I haven't ridden for a long time because of health and I worked on some friends bikes and was going to use it. It didn't work. When I took it apart the bottom had crud in it. After I put it back together it doesn't output much pressure. Because of it's age the rep at Topeak said they no longer support the pump and don't know what size o-ring fits the plunger.
Anyone out there happen to know which ring works. Like bikes there are a many standards for the rings.
When it is working it is the best frame pump you could ask for.
There aren’t that many standards for O-rings. There’s just a lot of sizes. A good hardware store (not a big box) should be able to help.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-25-20, 03:48 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Harbor Freight sells boxes with an assortment of O rings.

Remember to use a little silicone grease when you replace it.
Old 09-25-20, 07:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There aren’t that many standards for O-rings. There’s just a lot of sizes. A good hardware store (not a big box) should be able to help.
Yep, Ace is the place. I'm trying to keep my LHS (hardware store) in business within 6 miles of two Home Depots and two Lowes. So far it's working.
Old 09-25-20, 09:39 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
If you have the old O ring then checking the bolt/screw multibox area for O rings, you may have to go to several
hardware stores or big boxes as restocking of these can be hap hazard but something close may be available.
The critical measurement is the diameter of the rubber itself, secondly the overall diameter of the ring, too small
just means you stretch it to fit and will reduce the diameter of the rubber itself. A bit of silicone lube is a very good
idea.
Old 09-30-20, 03:06 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by cyccommute
They carry rings for faucets. There are too many sizes for them to sstock.
Old 09-30-20, 03:09 PM
davidad

I found them on-line. If you have an older Combo Master-blsaster I have plenty of 0-rings for the plunger and brass check valve. Send me a SASE and I will send you 4 until they run out.

David