Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Norco Monterey

Old 08-13-20, 03:50 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Norco Monterey

I picked this up yesterday. I'm guessing late 80s. Looks to be a solid bike with forged dropouts, downtube shifters, and suntour/dia-compe components. It needs a good servicing and things like tires. Any info appreciated. Not a company I have seen before.

Old 08-13-20, 04:25 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Norco is a Canadian company and produced a wide range of qualities in road bikes. The bike shown is a mid level steed, at best, but will be a fun bike to clean up, lube up and ride. It seems to be in time bubble condition. If it fits, then it is a worthy project that will hold its value (unless the OP paid too much).

I have had a few Monterays pass through my hands, most were older than the OP's and none sported a uni-crown fork.
Old 08-13-20, 08:06 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
The best Norco Monterey to find is the Monteray SL. This bike has a frame built using Ishiwata EX tubing (triple butted) and it rides like a dream.
I built one for a friend about four years ago and he has been quite happy with it. The bike is completely modernized with 9 speed triple. dual pivot brakes,
Sora brifters and hand-built Mavic wheels

Last edited by forresterace; 08-13-20 at 08:09 AM. Reason: moved text
Likes For forresterace:
Old 08-13-20, 09:37 AM
kross57

Thanks guys. It was cheap and its my size so it was worth getting. Just not a company I've seen before. I was hoping there were no red flags with Norco.
Old 08-13-20, 10:19 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject Monterey appears to be circa 1987-1988. I'd classify it more entry level than mid-range. While the frame is butted CrMo, the stays and forks were typically hi-tensile. Other notable cost concessions are the 27" wheels, clamp style shift levers, nutted rear hub and an inexpensive steel seat post. It's a decent but basic bicycle and fairly heavy. .

During this era, Norco typically didn't offer anything above lower mid-range and the bicycles were sourced from various suppliers in Japan and Taiwan. Norco also offered Italian styled bicycles under their Fiori brand, designed and distributed Nishiki for the Canadian market and by this time had purchased and were distributing Sekai in the USA. Later, they would develop a considerable reputation with their BMX and ATB lines. Norco and their subsequent LTPS subidiary have been a major accessory and parts supplier to Canadian IBS for decades.

If you are interested, the serial number may allow me to determine the exact year and manufacturer.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-13-20, 10:55 AM
kross57

I appreciate the info. The labels like entry level, mid-range, top tier, are very subjective and really don't mean much to me, but thanks anyway. Doesn't seem like vintage Norco catalogs are available.I'm guessing this one is all stock.
Old 09-30-20, 11:42 AM
frogger72

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by forresterace
The best Norco Monterey to find is the Monteray SL. This bike has a frame built using Ishiwata EX tubing (triple butted) and it rides like a dream.
I built one for a friend about four years ago and he has been quite happy with it. The bike is completely modernized with 9 speed triple. dual pivot brakes,
Sora brifters and hand-built Mavic wheels
Rides like a dream on Gatorskins, that's saying something . Looks great. What crankset is that?
I have an 83 Nishiki International "designed by Norco", still original parts, very similar looking frame. Came with 700x28c tires.
Old 09-30-20, 04:16 PM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Hi Frogger
The crankset on the Monteray is a Stronglight Impact Triple (square taper JIS). It's a 48x38x28 set up. I have actually built three bikes with this crankset. I built two different Fioris for myself - the blue one
is Ishiwata EX tubing like the Norco and the red Firenze has Columbus tubing.

I bought these cranks from Ribble in the UK but they don't seem to carry them any more. I have read that this crank is actually made by Sugino for Stronglight. It appears to stll have some
availability in the UK from various dealers. It is also listed on Amazon but on back order.
I have been very satisfied with the performance of mine and I love the look. The crank is really quite inexpensive.

Doug
Likes For forresterace:
Old 10-01-20, 08:15 AM
frogger72

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Hi Frogger
The crankset on the Monteray is a Stronglight Impact Triple (square taper JIS). It's a 48x38x28 set up. I have actually built three bikes with this crankset. I built two different Fioris for myself - the blue one
I bought these cranks from Ribble in the UK but they don't seem to carry them any more. I have read that this crank is actually made by Sugino for Stronglight. It appears to stll have some
availability in the UK from various dealers. It is also listed on Amazon but on back order.
I have been very satisfied with the performance of mine and I love the look. The crank is really quite inexpensive.

Doug
Thanks, they look nice on your beauties and I've heard good things about Stronglight in general. My 83 Nishiki via Norco says Tange Champion No. 2 double butted on it.
Old 10-01-20, 03:29 PM
T-Mar

Hi Frogger

Doug
Stronglight was available in Canada at least as late as a decade ago, through DAMCO. I'm not sure if they still carry them or if they stocked the Impact.
Old 10-01-20, 03:43 PM
T-Mar

Norco catalogues are available. I've about 7 or 8, t spanning the early 1980s to the early 1990s.
Old 10-09-20, 08:29 PM
mr. mcgoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,
i posted a thread today on the vintage forum asking if anyone knew what the stock saddle and pedals would have been for a 1985 Norco Victory. Any idea?