Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Floor pumps....should we have to fix those, too?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-30-20, 11:53 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts

I have a cheap $9.99 pump from Harbor Freight. Difficult, no Presta, but it attaches/releases the Shrader/Presta adapter cleanly, and gets to the psi I need. I sort of hate it.
My lady has a nashbar pump that is at least 20 years old. It's never been serviced. It works fine, but the gauge is small and scarred and faded and difficult to see.

My main pump was a Topeak Joe Blow Pro. I thought it was great, until it needed servicing about 2 years ago. Now it stops at 80 psi.
Topeak doesn't service it any longer, but sent me a new head and O-ring, just in case the recent failure was the head or O-ring.
Turns out, the fitting on the pump body failed (leaked). It's about 7 years old. That sort of rules out Topeak.

To the Trek store (which was barren, by the way, two employees, maybe 10 bikes, no ability to browse with COVID),
despite vowing to never patronize Trek or Bontrager again. I'm a convenience *****. I say "I need a pump." They have 4 cheapo's and the Flash TLR.
I also pick up carbon rim brake pads--cork. (turns out they're howlers.)
I take the Flash TLR floor pump, able to inflate tubeless, etc with the charged cylinder. Digital readout. Accurate. Poor base, though.
I figure OK, now that I have 3 sets of tubeless wheels, maybe I can use this. I mistakenly figure price also equals quality.
Got it home, got it hooked up....the digital display is upside down.
I kid you not. In order to read it, I'd need to have eyes under my ass.
You'd think with my head up there, that'd be easy, but not for pumping tires.

Pump display is upside down. Back to the store.
"We don't have any more pumps."
"We don't have any other brake pads."
Whoopee. COVID?

No Topeak due to their inability to make a long-lasting pump.
No Bontrager since they apparently don't know up from down.
No Specialized.... I like the police.
The Harbor Freight model is a stroke-inducer above 60 psi.
My lady won't let her nashbar pump out of her sight.
I had a second-hand Silca that I'm now sure I should have held onto.
speedevil has a Lezyne that has a great angled head (thread-on).

What are folks using and why?

Is it normal to have to service your floor pump?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-30-20 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-30-20, 12:02 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I have a plastic bodied Zefal for about 20 years. My plan was not for this to be my go to pump. I got it at WalMart. But it works. I tried to remove the piston to re-grease it but the fitting on top is not threaded. The foot "ears" are small and also plastic so it doesn't have that solid feel. The handle is small and I really can only get one hand on it. The gauge is small but I can see it when I pump. I almost wish I had a problem with it so I can justify picking up a well used Silca Pista or something like it. It continues to work and I continue to use it despite it's shortcomings.
Old 09-30-20, 12:03 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
I have a black Lezyne that threads on, has a nice large accurate gauge, and a wooden handle. It was about $60 or $70. Never serviced it.

Old 09-30-20, 12:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
RobbieTunes

No real help here and I know this is probably a cold dead hands, tradition, etc. thing BUT how about a little (or BIG) compressor?

I have a 60 gal. to run air tools and can't imagine doing it oldschool unless that was out of commission.

I have a couple of old Silca's and a Schwinn that my kid found at the thrift store and gave me for Xmas for posterity that are part of the "collection".
Old 09-30-20, 12:11 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Air compressor and digital tire gauge at home - always.

Zefal HPX frame pump on the road.

It is unfortunate, but most bike pumps out there are toys at best.

Get a nice little compressor and spend way less time and frustration putting air into your tires.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-30-20, 12:43 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Second-hand Silca all the way. Usually get them for a couple of bucks at thrifts/rummage/garage sales.

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 09-30-20, 12:45 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
MEIDAI Top Super.

Never settle for less. These pumps will be around long after we're gone.

Get a presta chuck from SKS for your presta valves, or put on whatever head you like.

My grandpa got his in the '70s. He used it for bikes and cars until my grandma had her accident, then he used it for wheelchairs and cars. After grandma passed on and I went to college, he gave the pump to me. Now here I am, 15 years later, still using it. All it has required is a drop of oil now and then, and I just changed the rubber washer in the air chuck. For the first time ever.

The pump is nearly 50 years old. The gauge still works. The hose still works. The original leather is still in there. I pump my Honda Insight and SAAB tires up every couple weeks, because the rims are porous and leaky. I put 110psi in my Vitus 979's tires also. It's worked for me down to -20F in the Vermont winter and up to 110F in the desert. Indestructible and versatile are understatements.

My dad had one too. It gave 30 years of service, then met its sorry end. He blew the hose and doesn't do mechanical, so he threw it out. That was in 2012. He has been through three modern pumps since then. I still give him crap about this. He needed $3 of hose, but instead spent $150 plus countless hours trying to decide what pump to get next. Meidai meant it when they called this pump "top" and "super".

Last edited by scarlson; 09-30-20 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 01:33 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Park Tool PFP-3 - good but not great. Gets to 100+psi for road tires just fine. It's a little slow on MTB tires. Will probably need new grommets/inserts soon, as both presta and schrader fit a tad loose.
Park Tool PFP-8 - Best floor pump I've had. Noticeably faster than the PFP-3. Too new to judge it on longevity, but it feels solid. Huge easy to read dial. I stole this one at a thrift store sale for $5.00, with the $35.00 retail tag still in place.

I've always had good experience with Topeak's frame pumps; evidently floor pumps are not their strong suit.
Old 09-30-20, 01:42 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Kinda a big fan of Silca. I have two frame pumps and floor pump. The floor pump was bought at a recycle bike shop in Portland Or over 10 years ago. I use it to get past the 110 limit of my compressor. Very serviceable.

Your can see it in the bottom right of this picture
P1000598 on Flickr
Old 09-30-20, 01:43 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I may just get a monster compressor.
I can use the dryer outlet.
Old 09-30-20, 01:53 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I use an SKS Kompressor floor pump with a Hirame Yoko head. I bought it because it's simple and old school, and it was no longer possible to buy Silca or MDI pumps new when i got it IIRC. The stock SKS head is OK, but the Hirame is much better. It's super reliable and a joy to use.

In a bike shop, where the pumps get used all day long every day, pumps would have to be pulled apart to grease the plunger every so often. The rubber in the heads would need to get replaced periodically, especially with Silca track pumps. Really though, very little maintenance required for the old school all steel pumps. Might have to look at them every year or two? Multiply that by 10 for home use.
Old 09-30-20, 01:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I may just get a monster compressor.
I can use the dryer outlet.
The little pancake's like the roofers use are 120v and should do the job.

HF has a 6gal. 175psi on sale for $119 w/coupon.
Old 09-30-20, 02:04 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I have a Joe Blow(x2) and about a dozen bikes that are ridden on a rotation basis. I pump the tires on at least one of my bikes every week. I have the yellow one , I think it is the Sport . I wait until REI has their 20% off sale and pay only around 35 bucks for them(I have two as I ride from two locations) . Both pumps are great and work very well . I bought the first one about 5-6 years ago and the other one a year later 'cause I liked it. If I get another 2 years out of them I will probably buy another. The only complaint is the gage is down towards the bottom of the pump and my 65 year old eye balls can't see it, so I use the little limiter thingy for a mark. If I happened onto an old Silca I would get it if it were reasonable as I too have heard great things about them. They have to be better than their frame pumps! At my shop I have a really nice , large commercial style air compressor at my shop where most of my bikes are, but I choose to use the floor pump.
Old 09-30-20, 02:07 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I have a Joe blow for about 5 years now and have several bikes with latex tires so it does get a workout. Hasnt skipped a beat yet.
Old 09-30-20, 02:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 1,743 Posts
I have a $40 Lezyne Floor Drive, that I have been using for almost ten years now and am very happy with. Never serviced it. Do I need to?

I also have a Meidai, but I prefer the Lezyne.

Two years ago I bought a Lezyne Road Drive. Also $40. Was impressed. No more need for frame pumps, other than aesthetics.

Two weeks ago I bought a Lezyne Pocket Drive for mrs non-fixie. For just $30. Was even more impressed. No more need for CO2, other than fixing drinks.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-30-20, 02:16 PM
merziac

Tough crowd, not much love for Silca frame pumps.

I have at least a dozen of them, all work just fine and would get you down the road and home.

Many of them are giving up after 50 years of neglect just like us.

There had to be something to them for so many buyers to get them paint matched to so many frames fad or no.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-30-20, 02:17 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
I use a 35 year old Silca floor pump for the shop and Zefal HPX on the road.

Regarding compressors, I've used pancake types for running nail guns, the are very good but LOUD and as I age, heavier.

Several years ago I was buying nails at Pro-Mar in Chicago and they had this cute little 1 gal. 1/2 hp Senco for a little over $120.00. This is now my go-to jobsite compressor for finish work. It's lightweight and very quiet. It would make a perfect bike tire pump as well.

https://www.senco.com/tools/details-page/pc1010
Old 09-30-20, 02:41 PM
Splendidtutiona

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Competition, Guru Sidero, Soma Groove, Smolenski,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Pumps have to be serviced? Huh?

Anyway. i have something called an Ascent. No idea where I picked it up. I think it was the cheapest thing my LBS had at the time. It's at lest 15 years old and works great still. I think it has like 6 stickers from movers too. i had something before it (one of the major brands, maybe a Bontrager or something) that gave up WAY too fast, maybe a year? or two? Anyway, seems to me the cheaper the better.
Old 09-30-20, 02:57 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
My lady has a nashbar pump that is at least 20 years old. It's never been serviced. It works fine, but the gauge is small and scarred and faded and difficult to see.
Just saw you mentioned this! It is likely a Meidai Top Super. They were sold under the Nashbar name for years. Look like this?

Give the gauge plastic lens a polish with some Mothers mag and aluminum polish and you'll see clearly again!

You should get a Meidai Top Super and then you can have his & hers pumps.

Last edited by scarlson; 09-30-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 03:07 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 470 Posts
About 12 years ago, I picked up an INLINE floor pump at LBS. Solid plastic exterior, but has been good. The pump head went on me a few years ago and I found an exact replacement head (in China) for the grand total of 99 cents.
Old 09-30-20, 03:23 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by non-fixie
I have a $40 Lezyne Floor Drive, that I have been using for almost ten years now and am very happy with. Never serviced it. Do I need to?

I also have a Meidai, but I prefer the Lezyne.

Two years ago I bought a Lezyne Road Drive. Also $40. Was impressed. No more need for frame pumps, other than aesthetics.

Two weeks ago I bought a Lezyne Pocket Drive for mrs non-fixie. For just $30. Was even more impressed. No more need for CO2, other than fixing drinks.
Yep aesthetics, the most important consideration of all.
Old 09-30-20, 03:28 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
I am spoiled with pumps in every harbor.

A tough to kill Lezyne in the basement at home.

A forty year old Silca floor model in the garage.

A 30+ year old Silca floor pump at the cabin.

A Lezyne mini-floor in my Revelate frame bag.

Ya gotta love classified ads on the bike forums.

Maybe $60 total investment to cater to my laziness.

Oh yeah, Silcas are super easy to rebuild and they look cool. imho
Old 09-30-20, 03:37 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Specialized, as my lbs sells them. 16 years old. I have to service them?

I like the Police. I also like Black people. Go figure.
Likes For iab:
Old 09-30-20, 03:44 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
I’ve been very pleased with several of the less expensive Silca floor pumps like those thinktubes showed above, although I’ve replaced the hose and head with a Topeak smart head assembly - longer hose, very reliable head and more easily removed on Presta, OK on Schrader.

I also need to acknowledge Blackburn for their true lifetime warranty. I had a 20-ish year old model (no memory of which one, but it had a large diameter silver cylinder, gauge at the top). The internal check valve quit working, and no way to get at it. I contacted Blackburn and they sent, for free including shipping, a comparable replacement, a “Blackburn Piston 4”! Very nice big gauge up high, pressure relief button on the head. I don’t like it’s smart head as well as Topeak’s version since it requires greater engagement on Presta valves, but it does work well once engaged, including occasional uses on car tires when there’s a slow leak. Topping up a car tire is not an easy exercise with those Silca floor pumps.

I use the Topeak version of a Zefal HPX as a full-length frame pump on the bike with a pump peg (the flare of the Zefal handle rattles against my frame), and a surprisingly capable Lezyne Road Drive on the other, mounted with its clip behind a water bottle cage. The inline pressure gauge upgrade works quite accurately.
Old 09-30-20, 05:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by iab
Specialized, as my lbs sells them. 16 years old. I have to service them?
I like the Police. I also like Black people. Go figure.
As if I don't? People make assumptions.
I have Black friends and a Police friend who is a bike patrol officer, and a BF member. OMFG.
I really don't like anybody. People are fine but mankind is a nuisance to the planet.
Not sure how refusing to make/service police patrol bikes logically fits in with any positive change.
Someone else can make them, I'm sure. "We have the technology. Better. Stronger. Faster" - Oscar Goldman
I guess police horses have long ago become glue? Maybe the Segways are next, or patrol cars.
Perhaps crimes that are prevented by bike patrol officers should no longer be crimes.
Maybe crime really is OK. It sure seems to be in a lot of places.

Back to pumps.
The Trek store has no more of the pump I bought, so I guess I get a refund.
The place looked like the last few days of a going out of business sale.
If they can't get pumps in to sell, not sure how they can get one in to replace mine.
I have no idea how someone can install a digital gauge upside down and not notice it.
I'd like to find out if I can take it out and turn it around, and presto, a normal pump..... OR IS IT?
OK, it's a rectangle piece in a rectangle space,, and the assembler may not even know what it is.
Unlit, with the battery blocked on each side, there's no way to know from outside the pump.
I visited a Reebok factory and one part of it was making Wilson A2000 baseball gloves.
I doubt anyone on the assembly line knew or cared what went with what.
Stitch piece A to piece B and keep moving. Tough work. It's possible at that point.

Pushing the button immediately lights it up, upside down.
Perhaps they only test random samples.

I hope to make a few fun YouTube videos of it before I get my refund.
Sort of a "Go, Bontrager!"

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-30-20 at 05:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.