Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Someone explain to me the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Someone explain to me the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing

Old 09-28-20, 11:27 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
False equivalence - take a few minutes to read up.

If your only reason for wearing gloves is to protect the skin of your hand in a wreck, you should be riding in moto leathers to protect your body for that same road rash (or do you simply tip over at a stop too often?). And don't forget wrist protection, because if you put your hands out when you fall, the broken wrist is gonna be a much bigger issue than road rash.
Ah...moto leathers. That's a great idea. If only I could think of a way to shrink them down and protect my hands...and add pads to them for comfort.... I think I'll call them "gloves".

It's OK for you to just admit you don't want to wear them and move on.

Old 09-28-20, 11:44 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Ah...moto leathers. That's a great idea. If only I could think of a way to shrink them down and protect my hands...and add pads to them for comfort.... I think I'll call them "gloves".

It's OK for you to just admit you don't want to wear them and move on.
Scroll up to post 71: I have reasons that gloveless works for me, and that's what the OP is asking for .... so why "move on"? Feel free to use the link to the 2018 thread I started to see more about my story about losing the gloves after decades.

BTW - why don't you recommend wrapping the whole rider in this protective leather? Most riders that wreck end up with road rash from ankle to shoulder
Old 09-28-20, 12:13 PM
joeconn4

Bikes: serotta colorado lt (1992)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Been riding "adult bicycles" for over 40 years. I never rode huge miles, big years were post-college when I was racing triathlon and even then maybe 1000/month, 7000/year, was my max. Now I get out maybe 30-40 times a year, mostly on my mountain bike or when measuring running courses, not a whole lot of road bike riding the last decade. I've never worn gloves unless riding in the wintertime. But I think it's just me - I don't wear a glove to golf, I don't wear batting gloves when I play baseball or softball. I wear gloves when I ski but you know...winter.
Old 09-28-20, 02:37 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I haven't noticed that. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about it. I wear gloves to protect my hands in the event of a crash, block the sun, absorb vibrations, get a better grip, absorb sweat, and wipe my nose.
Old 09-28-20, 02:45 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
So this is another trend that I've been seeing...

What's up with the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing? I think I started this trend over a decade ago being a minimalist. But after suffering on the Gavia and living to tell about many other epic rides without major crashes where my palms could have been ripped apart I have grown older and wiser and now wear gloves.

However, I see a huge trend of many roadies around here with no gloves. I also saw this in the Peloton in this year's TdF? Why is no-gloves so cool now? Looking back I was very foolish and lucky to not have worn gloves.

Please explain and show proof of your work. There will be a test at the end.

Since the concept of this post flew over many people's heads...
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ep-seeing.html

Trend or no trend, but all cycling gloves ive ever tried had big annoying seams in the fingers. Like why? when most modern work gloves are seamless.
Old 09-28-20, 03:00 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Like a lot of male BS, no gloves is about bravado. I was once in a minor paceline crash behind a proud no-gloves riding buddy. He went hands-first into the pavement. Still rides w/o gloves. Beats me.They'll say that it's about bike feel or some such nonsense, but we know what's really going on. Or maybe I'm totally wrong. Any women on here ride no-gloves?
I ride no gloves usually because the gussets in the fingers wedge between my little fingers. Sometimes I just cut off the fingers.
Old 09-28-20, 03:26 PM
Maf9

Bikes: S Works Venge/Tarmac/Focus Izalco Max 9.9/Ridley Noah Fast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spot On!!!
Old 09-28-20, 05:09 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts

What's up with the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing? I think I started this trend over a decade ago being a minimalist. But after suffering on the Gavia and living to tell about many other epic rides without major crashes where my palms could have been ripped apart I have grown older and wiser and now wear gloves.

However, I see a huge trend of many roadies around here with no gloves. I also saw this in the Peloton in this year's TdF? Why is no-gloves so cool now? Looking back I was very foolish and lucky to not have worn gloves.

I don't follow any trends. I don't care what's in trendy or in favor.
I wore cycling gloves for years. I don't know why other people wear them, but I hoped the padding would help my arhtritic hands (have various other issues with my hands, also). After wearing them for 15 years, I realized: they weren't doing anything to help my hands, and I quit.
An I was tired of washing the damn things in the summer.
Old 09-28-20, 05:14 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I do wear gloves when it gets cold, having a number of different kinds for depending on how cold it gets...
But I quit wearing fingerless cycling gloves.
Old 09-28-20, 06:46 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Like a lot of male BS, no gloves is about bravado. I was once in a minor paceline crash behind a proud no-gloves riding buddy. He went hands-first into the pavement. Still rides w/o gloves. Beats me.They'll say that it's about bike feel or some such nonsense, but we know what's really going on. Or maybe I'm totally wrong. Any women on here ride no-gloves?
Or it could be habit. Same reason I didnt where a helmet for almost 30 yrs. No one wore gloves or a helmet when I was six. No one wore helmet or gloves when I was twelve. No one wore gloves or helmet when I was 20. It was just unheard of, literally. Sure there were likely racers that wore them somewhere, but not guys in the neighborhood. We didn't know such things existed. Same with skateboarding. Hell, we even had Jarts. (Whispering) we even road in the back of the station wagon without a seatbelt. My friend got hit by a car, just broke his arm. I can't even remember the first time I saw anyone wearing anything other than t shirt and gym shorts on a bike. It was just a way of getting from a to b in the clothes you wore every day. I still don't wear kit. I only started wearing a helmet after first mtb near miss. Ive skinned my hands a few times through various sports never cycling. I've had dozens of stitches and a couple of broken bones. Never from cycling. The point isn't that it can't ever happen, but that dangers are everwhere, yet we don't go around in body armour all day. I wear a helmet today if riding in street, which is most of the time. Crashing on MUP I see as no more likely than falling down the stairs or tripping over the dog (that's actually happened). Everyone has their own threshold of risk/comfort. If no laws broken who cares. In summary it's not a trend, it's 50+ yr lifestyle or in other words someone explain to me the WEARING gloves trend
Likes For gear64:
Old 09-28-20, 09:13 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Why ? Keep arm & hands in when crashing.

I rode gloveless for many years. Got some gloves again recently.
I am fine either way.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 09-28-20, 09:20 PM
kgcabs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts
freedom of choice....I would never ride without gloves
Old 09-29-20, 07:33 AM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I think you have it backwards. Why wear gloves? You should justify the positive action, not the passive omission. For example, I rode my bike 11 miles to the post office (round trip). Did I wear my kit? No, shorts, sandals, t-shirt. It isn't necessary to wear spandex to the post office.

I don't wear gloves when I don't need to. Under 40 miles or over 60 degrees they don't do anything for me. Longer rides, yeah, the cushioning helps. But I have nice squishy bar tape so my hands don't get tired or sore on rides under 2 hours.

When it gets cold, I put on gloves. I wear my long fingered gloves more than my fingerless "cycling" gloves.

And for what it is worth, Grant Peterson hates cycling gloves and finds them unnecessary. I believe he called them the most unnecessary cycling accessory.

Old 09-29-20, 07:42 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
This topic inspired me to.......wash and start wearing the gloves again. I went a while not wearing them while they needed a wash. I'd rather not skin up my hands.

Now........too bad they didn't help deter that hornet hitting my arm at 30mph the other day while riding. Owwiee.
Old 09-29-20, 10:31 AM
Jseivert

Bikes: Trek Crossrip Elite, Trek Silque SL (Wife)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I tried going without gloves but my hands slide around on the tape when they get sweaty, so that experiment ended right quick.
+1 for a better grip on the bars
Old 09-29-20, 11:56 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
If the only reason you use gloves is sweaty hands and grip ... there's lots of options for bar tape that give great grip when hot and sweaty or raining cats-and-dogs.
  • I use Salsa Gel Cork Tape on my gravel & adventure bikes - I've completed The DAMn (240 miles in one day on gravel roads) twice without gloves using this bar tape, and it's hot and humid in MN in Aug ... so no issues with grip; and this tape offers great padding to take out the vibration of rough roads.
  • I use fi'zi:k Vento Microtex Tacky on my classic road bike, it is great grip on sweaty days, limited padding since this bike is great at taking out the vibration of rough roads.
  • I use Origin8 Pro Cork on my modern road bike, never an issue on the hot sweaty days and better padding for a bike that does less damping of the road vibration.
I've found that without gloves and better air flow, my hands are less sweaty on the hot days and that helps since gloves will start to stretch and get slippery themselves as they get soak in long sweaty rides or in the pouring rain.

This post is not to talk anyone outta wearing gloves, but sharing things I've learned in the 2+ years since I stopped wearing summer gloves.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-29-20, 12:08 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
This thread has me wondering about numbness in my hands. I wear gloves but I don't wear gloves with gel pads or any real padding in the palm. I merely wear them to provide me with better grip, especially in hot weather when sweat can negatively impact my hold on the bar. I also wear them in the event I fall so I don't rip my hands up as I hit the ground. But I'm going to try riding without gloves to see if maybe the numbness I feel is due to the gloves and not just my general lack of core fitness. Thanks for this thread.
Old 09-29-20, 02:31 PM
Jseivert

Bikes: Trek Crossrip Elite, Trek Silque SL (Wife)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MntnMan62
This thread has me wondering about numbness in my hands. I wear gloves but I don't wear gloves with gel pads or any real padding in the palm. I merely wear them to provide me with better grip, especially in hot weather when sweat can negatively impact my hold on the bar. I also wear them in the event I fall so I don't rip my hands up as I hit the ground. But I'm going to try riding without gloves to see if maybe the numbness I feel is due to the gloves and not just my general lack of core fitness. Thanks for this thread.
For numbness try adjusting your bike fit/position so there's not as much weight on your hands.
Likes For Jseivert:
Old 09-29-20, 02:58 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseivert
For numbness try adjusting your bike fit/position so there's not as much weight on your hands.
That won't help me much. I'm fat and out of shape. I just need to ride more and work out more. I'm too inconsistent. I was riding somewhat consistently earlier in the summer and started working on my core doing push ups, crunches and planks. Then I stopped. I find that when I was working out and strengthening my core, I was able to put less weight on my hands. But not riding or working out won't make that happen. I just want to see how my hands feel with and without gloves. Thanks.
Old 09-29-20, 04:14 PM
rfields

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've thrown away about three pairs of gloves with the palms shredded (instead of my palms). I'll continue to wear gloves thanks.
Old 09-30-20, 08:05 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I am cheap no need to wear gloves.