Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bottom bracket surprise

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bottom bracket surprise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 08:36 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
bottom bracket surprise

Yesterday for the second time in a month I came across a strange situation. After stripping an old rigid frame Hard Rock and taking the cranks off I was in the process of removing the bearings and the bearings on the drive side would not come out. Thinking the bearing race was stuck I reached in with a small pick and tried to pull it out. No movement. I squirted some solvent in the cavity and cleaned it out thoroughly then looked inside. there was something not right about the bearing race . Figuring it had been welded in place by rust, I tried removing the bearing cup only to fail . that sucker was in there tight! finally, my friend Jack took a long screw driver and inserted in through the hole in the cup and caught the edge of the race and hit it hard with a hammer. Something fell out but it wasn't a bearing race. What we found was a cup shaped "washer" that was apparently used during assembly to hold loose bearings in the drive side bearing cup. That is only the second time in 10 years working at the bike Exchange that I have seen this. The first time I was successful in removing the cup and just replaced it with a new one and caged bearings.

Has anyone else ever encountered this. any insight appreciated.
Old 09-30-20, 08:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Yes this is not uncommon with lower cost Asian produced bikes. The balls (usually held in a retaining ring) are captured in the cup by a press fitted "washer/dust cap". This quickens assembly of the thousands of bike some factories produce weekly. Pretty simple to punch out the washer/internal dust cap, clean and relube as usual for loose balled units. Andy
Old 09-30-20, 09:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Nowadays, they simply use ball bearing cages in BB for quick assembly. Bearing cages are supposed to be OK but the cages from China tend to be of poor quality and wear our in just days! Or it's probably a horrible idea to use bearing cages in BB. Solution is simple, remove the cage as soon as you got the bike and add two more balls (usually) of the same size as the original balls and the BB should be fine for years!
Sure in a no cost matters world. But that's not what most of the production sector of our passion can get away with. If you can load the bb cup with ball bearings and lube for less then, and also shorten the time/ease the cup's install takes... and you make hundreds a day... How many hours does it take to make a bike? Or how few hours can that factory get it done in?

Most of the bikes with such time/cost savings design are generally found in the more/most basic of cost range. Want a better bike? Spend more. Sorry but that's a pretty easy thing for me to say.
Old 09-30-20, 11:51 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I can definitely see that this could make assembling the bottom bracket easier if they were using loose balls. I'm surprised I hadn't seen it before , especially since most of the bikes I work on are vintage. Why not do the same on the non drive side too? As for caged bearing cages deteriorating I have not really seen that. Burned bearings, yes but the cages are usually o/k unless the bike has been under water for a while.
Old 10-01-20, 07:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
When I got my cheap China bike I took it apart piece by piece, including the brake calipers and put them back together. Did not spend more than $3 on applying correct amount of grease and extra balls (on the bearings).
OK, your out-of-pocket cost was small but how much time did you spend and what would you have had to pay to have someone else do the work? Even at $3/hour it would have added significant cost to the finished bike.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-01-20, 10:41 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...emoveable.html
Old 10-02-20, 08:28 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Cubewheels. I can understand your reason for keeping a low end bike going. I was a bike flipper for many years and only did high end road bikes. I had friends who had very low end bikes and they new I would gladly work on there bikes. I made them stay and work on the bike the best they could. I would not fix it unless they stayed and did part of the work themself. Most of those bikes are still in use. I have been retired for 20 years so there was no lost wages on my part. I gave a few road bikes away to people who wanted to ride but could not afford to buy even a used road bike.
I have seen some Walmart bikes with bb so badly put together I could not repair them.
ed