Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding road bikes with disc brakes?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 06:02 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Lord at my age I wonder if I should even be thinking about yet another bike but........

We have a lot of mountain roads in NC/SC with steep twisty technical descents and I’m an average descender. I like riding hilly terrain like western Colorado as well. Since I bounced off the asphalt and broke my hip I’d really hate to bounce off the asphalt again. I’ve started “thinking” about a road bike with hydraulic disc brakes. I have them on my gravel bike and mechanical disc brakes on our tandem.

It looks like there is a weight penalty with discs but maybe I could just lose a few more pounds to make up the difference??? I’m not sure frame manufacturers have really completely maximized the frame designs for discs but they’re getting there.

And there are some descent deals out there on last year’s models right now.

Anyone riding them? Thoughts?

Last edited by jppe; 11-29-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 07:45 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I have them on my winter bike and they’re great for riding in wet conditions. That said I don’t miss them at all when riding in the summer on bikes with rim brakes. If you have aluminium braking surfaces I don’t think you’re any safer with disc brakes.
Old 11-29-18, 08:02 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

I have them on my Domane, with a splitter to run both front and back. The bike with pedals and cages comes in at 16.5 If I had gone with an Emonda SLR frame,it would be right about 15. My Emonda SL has rim brakes and hits right at 15 with pedals and cages. Both bikes have top end carbon wheels. If I notice a climbing difference at all between the Domane and Emonda, it is on ramps that hit over 15%, which is why I have a 30T sprocket on the Domane.

In a nutshell, in my opinion discs are not hype or marketing, but are in fact a better way to stop a bike in the dry (although only by a small bit over a great rim brake), and a vast improvement in the wet, particulary with carbon rims.
Old 11-29-18, 08:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
In my mind one of the significant advantages to a disc road bike would be clearance for larger tires.

If I were buying one bike right now it would be a Domane. Some models, like the SL7 Disc I lust after, can take 32mm tires. I would run these with the carbon wheels and 25mm tires for fast road rides then a 2nd set of aluminum wheels with 32’s for gravel riding. 18.2 lbs is light enough for my needs.

Last edited by Steve B.; 11-30-18 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 09:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Steve's point about tires is relevant.

Disk brakes are fine but fear of crashing on twisty descents is probably best addressed by getting the best tires one can afford + learning good cornering techniques.

I'm not saying the OP doesn't have good cornering skills but there is always something to learn. I thought I could corner well until I got on gravel and realized how sloppy I really was.

-Tim-
Old 11-30-18, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 11-30-18, 09:49 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
In my mind one of the significant advantages to a disc road bike would be clearance for larger tires.

If I were buying one bike right now it would be a Domane. Some models, like the SL7 Disc I lust after, can take 32mm tires. I would run these with the carbon wheels and 25mm tires for fast road rides then a 2nd set of aluminum wheels with 32’s for gravel riding. 18.2 lbs is light enough for my needs.
This is exactly why I purchased a bike with disc brakes. I wanted to purchase a Domane 5 or 6, but at the time the LBSs were out of 2018 models and the 2019 models weren't out yet. I ended up checking out the Specialized Diverge Comp, and went back and purchased one a few weeks later. I honestly haven't ridden a recent model road bike with caliper brakes, so I can't comment on braking performance. I will say, however, compared to my '96 Cannondale R500, the Diverge brakes will stop the bike at least twice as fast as the R500.

-Matt
Old 11-30-18, 10:01 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

I got mine for essentially the same reasons you are thinking of (but different bones fractured). I have zero regrets. The weight penalty is trivial. They are significantly higher maintenance than rim brakes, so you have to be comfortable with making your own (easy) adjustments. I wear through pads and rotors fairly quickly compared to others here (I live in, and do 99% of my riding in, steep hills.)
Old 11-30-18, 12:30 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 569 Posts
IMHO:
  • Disc brakes are of little advantage for my typical use (dry roads), and agree that tires are the place to look if you want better braking performance.
  • Disc brakes are at somewhat of a disadvantage in other respects (simplicity, maintainability, compatibility with your existing equipment). I was an early adopter of mechanical discs on an MTB and it was a mistake. They were difficult to adjust, the pads didn't last long, and it made installing a rack difficult and changing a tire even more so.
  • Disc brakes are heavier and put additional demands on other parts of the bike (mostly, the fork).

But that being said, there are advantages:
  • Inclement weather. My commute is sometimes sandy wet, and for this reason, I'm thinking discs might be a good idea on my next commuting bike.
  • No wear of the rim (although I've never had a wheel go south because the rim wore out ... it has always been the spokes or the hubs)
  • Less likely a flat or a blowout will get mucked up in your brake.

All that being said, it is kind of irrelevant whether I like them or not. The component manufacturers like them (probably for consistency across product groups) and sooner or later, rim brakes will probably be a thing of the past, just like triple cranks. My next bike purchase will probably reflect that reality.

Old 11-30-18, 12:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
tally one

Yes, data point.. I have 1 bike with disc brakes
I Ride on the Road/Street.

It came with cable - mechanical calipers ,
this year I put cable actuated hydraulic brakes on it.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-30-18 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 02:46 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I have disc brakes on two of my newest bikes. On my Domane they are hydraulic and on my Novara touring bike they are cable activated. My single speed bike as well as all the bikes I have ever owned had rim brakes. I never had any trouble stopping on any bike I owned and never remarked to myself that the brakes needed improvement with the exception of an old touring bike that had cantilever brakes. I like the disc brakes, both hydraulic and cable, but my wife, who recently bought an expensive Domane with hydraulic discs had to bring the bike back to the shop twice to have the brakes bled. Now, her brakes are fine, but I bought a bleed kit so that in the future, when the bike is out of warranty, I can bleed them myself. It I had it to do all over again, I would stick with the rim brakes because they are easy to work on and work well. I try to keep things simple in all elements of my life, but I did succumb to the allure of discs. Fortunately, they work fine.
Old 11-30-18, 08:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I have 4 recumbents, all of which are road-only; so I guess they're 'road' bikes, even though not the classic Safety Bike version. Of the 4, 3 of them have a disc brake on at least one wheel. I am considering replacing the fork on the 4th one so I can add a disc there, too.
Old 11-30-18, 08:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,048 Times in 4,478 Posts
[QUOTE=Biker395;20685110]
But that being said, there are advantages
  • No wear of the rim (although I've never had a wheel go south because the rim wore out ... it has always been the spokes or the hubs)[QUOTE]
When I lived in the mountains I rode a rim-braked mtb in the snow and wet. I could tell when a rim was shot when it started thumping on a low spot when braking.
I've been with riders when the brake surface has blown off the wheel from being worn thin.
I tried those peel and stick patches and had them blow off from the heat of braking on steep descents.
On long, wet rides in the mountains I go through the pads quickly (road or mtb) and have had that thick, black aluminum slurry all over everything. When you ride off-road in the snow the snow builds up on top of the pads and constantly melts onto the brake surface, bringing sand with it.
People say rim brakes are always strong enough for road riding but when I descend Potrero or Westlake blvd I wish for more power, but I am over 200 #.
The rim brakes on my Seven (Mavic with Chorus levers) are the best I've tried, but I wonder if some good discs would be stronger. I'm sure whatever small weight difference there is would be negligible.
Several people in my club have high-end disc roadbikes and I've asked about them and heard nothing but positive replies.

Last edited by big john; 11-30-18 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 08:42 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Disc brakes are a no brainier. They are lifesavers if you get caught in the rain, they don't wreck your wheels, and I have a ton more confidence on long/steep downhills with discs. There are a few eccentricities associated with disc but the advantages outweigh them.
Old 12-01-18, 12:07 AM
Machoman121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
Disc brakes are a no brainier. They are lifesavers if you get caught in the rain, they don't wreck your wheels, and I have a ton more confidence on long/steep downhills with discs. There are a few eccentricities associated with disc but the advantages outweigh them.
I have disc brakes on all my current bikes now - none are rim brakes. But if i have to do a lot of travel where i had to put the bike in the car/boot or fly.....i would get a rim brake bike just for travelling. Disc brakes are very sensitive to adjustments. Taking the wheels in/out would throw out the disc adjustments.

There is not more than 1 mm of play on each side of the disc before the pads rub. And i've found the only way to keep them from rubbing is using the Park Tool dt-3i.2 together with the DT-3. And aluminium shims....
Old 12-01-18, 01:55 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
My main road bike has calipers. My commuter road bike has discs. I don't find the discs better. And I generally prefer the calipers except in very wet conditions.
Old 12-01-18, 05:11 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have mechanical discs on my Colnago CX and I like them a lot. My next road bike will have them. I'm not convinced that you have to have them but they really are "better."
Old 12-01-18, 06:52 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Machoman121
I have disc brakes on all my current bikes now - none are rim brakes. But if i have to do a lot of travel where i had to put the bike in the car/boot or fly.....i would get a rim brake bike just for travelling. Disc brakes are very sensitive to adjustments. Taking the wheels in/out would throw out the disc adjustments.

There is not more than 1 mm of play on each side of the disc before the pads rub. And i've found the only way to keep them from rubbing is using the Park Tool dt-3i.2 together with the DT-3. And aluminium shims....
As long as your wheel is seated in the dropout fully this shouldn't be an issue. The discs are bolted the hub, the calipers are bolted to the frame. Nothing's moving.
Old 12-02-18, 08:40 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Machoman121

I have Shimano hydraulic discs on my gravel bike and so far I’ve been fortunate to have avoided the misalignment issue when swapping out wheels. I wondered if I’d need to readjust the brakes swapping out wheels but so far no issues. I did put the same Ice Tech discs with center lock nuts on both sets of wheels so I don’t know if that has helped. For me, if I had to make an adjustment it would just require loosening and retightening the caliper bolts........assuming the discs haven’t warped.
Old 12-02-18, 04:00 PM
big john

I had Avid hydraulic discs on my old mtb and I would get the rub/squeak thing often and adjusting the caliper position was a regular part of riding it. I got a new mtb in March with Shimano brakes and I have only adjusted them once when I took the caliper off to replace the pads.
Old 12-02-18, 06:26 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by koolerb
As long as your wheel is seated in the dropout fully this shouldn't be an issue. The discs are bolted the hub, the calipers are bolted to the frame. Nothing's moving.
i have thru axles on my gravel bike so I’m betting those axles help with not needing to realign calipers when changing wheels.
Old 12-02-18, 08:26 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Miss alignment issues... Really,? how would that happen...??? Once you set up the wheel/disk, to the brake and axel, a done deal, you can take it on and off a 100 times and nothing will change, if you put a "different wheel" then you need to set up that different wheel/disk to match the brake, and if it cant be done without adjustment, then you are stuck with one wheel/disk set up, it is as simple as that, if you want to switch wheels/disks back and fort then you needs to adjusts every time if they don't match... Pretty sure that is the same with rim brakes when you change rims... IMO
Old 12-02-18, 11:16 PM
big john

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Miss alignment issues... Really,? how would that happen...??? Once you set up the wheel/disk, to the brake and axel, a done deal, you can take it on and off a 100 times and nothing will change, if you put a "different wheel" then you need to set up that different wheel/disk to match the brake, and if it cant be done without adjustment, then you are stuck with one wheel/disk set up, it is as simple as that, if you want to switch wheels/disks back and fort then you needs to adjusts every time if they don't match... Pretty sure that is the same with rim brakes when you change rims... IMO
It could be a slightly different position in the dropout each time the wheel is removed which could possibly be exacerbated with a suspension fork. When installing the wheel one fork leg might be slightly compressed which, as jppe noted, would be less of an issue with a through-axle. My personal experience has been exactly that; ride the bike and it's quiet until the wheel is removed/replaced, then it squeaks until the caliper is adjusted. Yes, it surprised me, too.
My through-axle bike does not have this issue.
Old 12-03-18, 07:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
It looks like there is a weight penalty with discs but maybe I could just lose a few more pounds to make up the difference???
Don't worry...sarcopenia and osteopenia will eventually negate the weight penalty of disc brakes for you.
Old 12-03-18, 10:19 AM
ogmtb
Banned.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big john
It could be a slightly different position in the dropout each time the wheel is removed which could possibly be exacerbated with a suspension fork. When installing the wheel one fork leg might be slightly compressed
This seems really far-fetched. I never experienced this over many years of riding with a number or QR suspension forks w/discs.

On the vast majority of suspension forks one fork leg cannot be compressed because the lowers are joined together by the fork arch - the legs are one unit.

Even with an inverted fork I didn't have issues, although that fork used a non-traditional clamping system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.