Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 wireless unit

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 wireless unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 01:06 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Di2 wireless unit

Hi everyone-I just purchased a 2019 TCR Adv Pro Disc. This is the first time I'm riding an electronic groupset (and I love it!)

The bike has Shimano Ultegra Di2 but the Giant website doesn't say which model. I am wondering if I need to buy the wireless unit D-fly in order to connect my garmin to the Di2. I tried a few times to connect but was unable to. I am wondering if the bar end junction has built in wireless connectivity or do I still have to buy the wireless unit.

Finally, is the wireless unit a good investment if I have to buy?

Thank you,
Old 12-05-18, 01:13 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Generally..unless specifically noted--Di2 bikes do not ship with a D-Fly.

I find it a nice accessory. Some don't. YMMV.
Old 12-05-18, 05:17 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Hey rower.... I was in your shoes several weeks ago. Yes you will need to buy the D-Fly unit AND an extra E-Tube wire (The D-Fly does not come with one). The unit can be installed in-line anywhere you want it. The E-tube wire comes in different lengths, so make sure you order an appropriate size based on where you plan to mount the unit.

I have mine mounted up front under my bars.
Old 12-05-18, 05:42 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
For most Di2 users, it only transmits the current front and rear gear position, and the amount of Di2 battery charge. You can easily check the battery level using the junction box button. I don't really care which gear I'm in, I just shift up or down as needed. And I'd rather see other data on the limited screen display area. (I do look down occasionally to verify which front chainring I'm in.)

From this story, the new DuraAce Di2 shifters have a 3rd button on the hood, which can be set up to control the Garmin display. That could be useful.
Old 12-05-18, 06:37 PM
jadocs

Programing the buttons under your shifter hoods to switch pages on your cycling computer is a nice feature (not just Garmin, I have a Wahoo Element Bolt). I have a main page that displays the data I want when I ride, but pressing a button on the hoods without taking my hand off the shifters to switch to the map screen, or maybe a more comprehensive Power (power meter) screen is very convenient I find.
Old 12-05-18, 10:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I did not know it was possible to switch GPS screens from the hoods.

Very interesting.
Old 12-05-18, 11:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I like having it, but it doesn't do much for me. It allows my Garmin to count how many times I shift, and to tell me the battery level. The battery thing is nice.
Old 12-06-18, 06:29 AM
jadocs

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I don’t use a Garmin, but the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt does an analysis of your shifting over the course of a ride when connected via D-Fly.
Old 12-06-18, 08:01 AM
rower2cyclist

Originally Posted by jadocs
Hey rower.... I was in your shoes several weeks ago. Yes you will need to buy the D-Fly unit AND an extra E-Tube wire (The D-Fly does not come with one). The unit can be installed in-line anywhere you want it. The E-tube wire comes in different lengths, so make sure you order an appropriate size based on where you plan to mount the unit.

I have mine mounted up front under my bars.
Thank you, will make sure I get the correct length if I go down that route

Originally Posted by rm -rf
For most Di2 users, it only transmits the current front and rear gear position, and the amount of Di2 battery charge. You can easily check the battery level using the junction box button. I don't really care which gear I'm in, I just shift up or down as needed. And I'd rather see other data on the limited screen display area. (I do look down occasionally to verify which front chainring I'm in.)

From this story, the new DuraAce Di2 shifters have a 3rd button on the hood, which can be set up to control the Garmin display. That could be useful.
I think mine has the buttons too but will double check that, thanks!
Old 12-06-18, 08:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I did not know it was possible to switch GPS screens from the hoods.

Very interesting.
This was added to the 8050/8070 group. I waited for that group to be available last January, but and in practice find the buttons hard to push with my weak thumbs, thus as often as not just swipe the Garmin 1000 touch screen.
Old 12-06-18, 10:45 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I don't have the functionality enabled on my system. BUT I do remember reading somewhere on the interwebs that you could download an open source program which would tell you the percentage of time you spend in a particular gear combination. As someone who is kind of nerdy and like jazz like that, I would find that ability interesting.
Old 12-06-18, 12:46 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf

The new Ultegra has the third button also. I got DA for myself and Ultegra for the old woman and I thought I was going to have to return it and get her DA when she noticed the paging. Feel for the button on top of the hoods. You need the wireless for cellphone programing as well or you don't. The Garmin 820 is a great match for DI2.
Old 12-06-18, 01:14 PM
rower2cyclist

Originally Posted by popeye
The new Ultegra has the third button also. I got DA for myself and Ultegra for the old woman and I thought I was going to have to return it and get her DA when she noticed the paging. Feel for the button on top of the hoods. You need the wireless for cellphone programing as well or you don't. The Garmin 820 is a great match for DI2.

Another reason for me to buy the wireless unit is that we only have an apple computer and shimano software, apparently, only runs on windows. Pretty ridiculous company like shimano doesn't make software that runs on both operating systems.
Old 12-06-18, 03:01 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Another reason for me to buy the wireless unit is that we only have an apple computer and shimano software, apparently, only runs on windows. Pretty ridiculous company like shimano doesn't make software that runs on both operating systems.
Android is the other OS.
Old 01-11-19, 12:29 PM
rower2cyclist

Just bumping this since I pulled the trigger and purchased the wireless unit (EW-WU111).

Seems like it's a little different than the previous version which you can attach to the seatstay with and connect to the rear derailleur. In this youtube
video Shane Miller puts it inside the seat tube. Is it the only (or the best) place to install? Thanks!
Old 01-11-19, 01:04 PM
jadocs

Yeah I like the WU111 better than the WU101 you linked. They both do the same thing. The only difference is the WU111 is designed to be placed in line (connections on opposite sides vs. all on one side) and is much more compact. I put mine inline by my stem under my bars. Let me check to see if I have a pic (I'm at work right now). No need to hide it in your seat tube unless you want to.
Old 01-11-19, 01:11 PM
jadocs

Old 01-11-19, 02:26 PM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
The D Fly unit lets you connect wirelessly to the Di2 system by using Shimano's E-Tube app on your phone. That lets you do things like change what each button does, how fast the shifts happen, change the shifting behavior, perform firmware updates etc. Before you had to connect to the Di2 system with a box using a PC. Now just whip out your phone.
Old 01-11-19, 02:53 PM
rower2cyclist

Yeah I like the WU111 better than the WU101 you linked. They both do the same thing. The only difference is the WU111 is designed to be placed in line (connections on opposite sides vs. all on one side) and is much more compact. I put mine inline by my stem under my bars. Let me check to see if I have a pic (I'm at work right now). No need to hide it in your seat tube unless you want to.
Thank you, now I need to figure out how to do that connection when I get home
Old 01-11-19, 03:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Mine is wrapped in foam and inside the seat tube, right under the battery.

-Tim-
Old 01-11-19, 05:18 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Thank you, now I need to figure out how to do that connection when I get home
Just pick a side on your bars and disconnect the existing wire from the junction box and mount your Wu111 inline. You will need to unwrap your bar a little (on the side you choose) to get everything routed cleanly, and excess wire tucked under the wrap (you will have excess wire if you don’t - remember the extra wire you purchased, I’m not sure how long it is).
Old 01-12-19, 01:12 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

This was added to the 8050/8070 group. I waited for that group to be available last January, but and in practice find the buttons hard to push with my weak thumbs, thus as often as not just swipe the Garmin 1000 touch screen.
I have the 9000 and I am able to switch pages from the buttons on the hoods. I changed to the newer battery so my 9,000 will also synchro shift.
Old 01-12-19, 01:17 PM
jadocs

Another cool feature that some may not realize...if your hood buttons are set to change the page on your computer...the left button will start and stop Laps when the bike is in motion. At least that’s how it is on my Elemnt Bolt. When the bike is stationary it will just advance the screens, but in motion recording a ride, left button starts and stops laps, right button still cycles through the screens.
Old 01-14-19, 12:12 PM
rower2cyclist

Just pick a side on your bars and disconnect the existing wire from the junction box and mount your Wu111 inline. You will need to unwrap your bar a little (on the side you choose) to get everything routed cleanly, and excess wire tucked under the wrap (you will have excess wire if you don’t - remember the extra wire you purchased, I’m not sure how long it is).
Thank you so much. That's probably what I will do as I also replace the stock bar tape (which is a pos) with a new one. I have the 150mm extra wire.
Old 01-14-19, 12:14 PM
rower2cyclist

Another cool feature that some may not realize...if your hood buttons are set to change the page on your computer...the left button will start and stop Laps when the bike is in motion. At least that’s how it is on my Elemnt Bolt. When the bike is stationary it will just advance the screens, but in motion recording a ride, left button starts and stops laps, right button still cycles through the screens.
Also thanx for this. I have Garmin 810. Will explore what I can do once I install the wireless unit. Pretty cool features!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.