Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone know how the Super 600 program works in the U.S. now?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Old 02-27-20, 12:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts

Did we go back to having them run out of France again?
Old 02-27-20, 12:59 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I was looking at doing an sr600 and was told there is a separate insurance program in place, it is 40$ for the ride + $2.60 x 3 days x number of riders.
Old 02-27-20, 11:18 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I think that was mentioned in one of the emails or maybe the perm owner's list. Anyway, it was business-as-usual for the Super Sixes, which were not under the regular perm program.
Old 02-28-20, 10:16 AM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
A San Francisco Randonneur rider has been doing SR600’s for his R-12. I think he has one left.

It sounded like a new requirement put in place was they could not be done solo, however he negotiated to use a SPOT tracker instead.
Old 02-28-20, 01:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I am going to be solo on a group ride, so I'm not sure what that would help, safety-wise
Old 03-10-20, 09:20 AM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SR600 fees and insurance

I am the owner of the Catskill SR600. Here is the latest from Bill Beck regarding fees and insurance.
Dear US SR600 route owners,

We have good news about insurance for our US SR600 routes. As you know, the US SR600 program had been suspended when RUSA lost its insurance for permanents. But RUSA has now made arrangements to insure SR600s on a ride-by-ride basis. The cost for the insurance is $40 per event plus $10 per rider. Since that will require a payment to RUSA, we're also going to collect the $5 ACP homologation fee at the same time, so there will no longer be any need for owners to submit yearly payments in September. That yields a total cost for insurance plus homologation fee of $40 plus $15 per rider.

Here's how it will work.

1. At least two weeks before the SR600, you should send me a request for insurance and specify the route and start date. You will also send a non-refundable payment to a new RUSA PayPal address in the amount of $40.

2. I will submit for the insurance certificate and let you know when the insurance is in place and you are OK to proceed.

3. You can change the date of the event with one week notice. (Minimum of 4 days, if necessary.) But once the date has passed, there can be no rescheduling of the event.

4. Shortly after the event, you will send $15 per rider who starts the event.

Note that this all means that the average insurance cost per rider will vary with the number of riders. The insurance cost for a single rider would be $40 + $15 = $55, while the insurance cost per rider with 5 riders would be $40/5 + $15 = $23. So you will likely want to know the number of riders before you specify the charge to each rider.

In addition to the insurance and homologation costs, route owners have other expenses for mailing control cards and frame badges before the ride, as well as mailing the certified cards back to riders once we receive the cert stickers from Sophie. Before now, different route owners have charged different fees to cover these expenses. But I propose that we now all charge $10 in addition to the RUSA fee described above. If you think that you need more than $10 to cover your expenses, then you can still price your events at a higher level, but the uniform pricing described above will make the new system easier for riders to understand.

Please let me know if you have any questions. This is a more involved procedure than before, but it appears to be the best way available to get the US SR600 program going again.

Bill Beck

ACP representative for US SR600s

RUSA ACP Super Randonnee Liason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Bondra
Old 03-10-20, 09:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Thanks Jim, that makes it pretty clear.
Old 03-10-20, 11:22 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by jbithaca
...We have good news about insurance for our US SR600 routes...
So $50 in RUSA liability insurance for a solo rider. How much was it last season?
Old 03-10-20, 11:58 AM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SR600k

Originally Posted by kingston
So $50 in RUSA liability insurance for a solo rider. How much was it last season?
Kingston:

I took over the route last Fall and no one has ridden it yet. I was going to charge $20 which covered insurance, card, frame badge and paperwork between RUSA and myself.

The new rules make planning at least two weeks in advance before scheduling a ride and a lot less flexibility. Before it could be run as a perm.