Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Big name track bikes.

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Big name track bikes.

Old 03-20-20, 08:40 PM
LNKFixed
Fixed on the plains.

Bikes: 2019 Leader 721, 2020 Bombtrack Hook EXT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Big name track bikes.

Why does it seem like the field for name brand track bikes is pretty limited? Sure you've got the Fuji Track Elite and the Specialized Langster still. But it seems like without being at a professional level there's just not much to be had in the way of competition focused track bikes like the S-Works Langster, Trek T1, Cannondale CAAD Track, etc etc.
Old 03-20-20, 08:58 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Not enough buyers for high end. Living on LI I have access to the Kissena velodrome, there isn't another one in all of New England, I can travel to the one in Trexlertown or head all the way out to Cleveland or the Carolinas. Don't know the numbers but I've heard there are more tracks in just England, not the UK, then there is in the whole of the US. So while there might be some fast people who need better bikes there just isn't that many vs people who can just head out to the local club ride or, bike path, solo ride and throw their leg over the best they can afford. And here track racing is weather dependent, if it rains the race is off and there's only a limited number of races. Its also why track bikes are much easier to have shipped over. For kids you either pay a lot for a basic Frog or have something shipped from the UK, the kids who have their own bikes have Hoy, Dolan, and a couple of other overseas brands. Was a little happy when my son said he didn't want to do velodrome since it would have meant buying my daughter a 650c bike with expensive shipping vs letting her sit on her 24" for this year and squeezing her on a small 700c that I can get here next year.
Old 03-21-20, 11:44 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
don't forget the specialized allez sprint track frame. there are other options like the cinelli vigorelli, mash ac1, affinity kissena, etc.... plenty good options to spend your money on.
Old 04-06-20, 01:49 AM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
i ride a Felt on the track. works great!
Old 04-06-20, 11:26 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I live in the Dallas area. There used to be an outdoor track in Frisco, about an hour north of here, and nearest other track, I think is in Houston, 5 hours south of here. So not many bikes around here are ever going to see a track.
That said, considering how few tracks, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of track-specific bikes available.
Come to think of it, there's probably more unicyclists in the Dallas area than there are actual track racers.
I assume riders "somewhere else" are furnishing what market there is.
Old 04-06-20, 11:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
One thing that might change this a bit if it takes off - grass track racing. Granted, if it does, we will see a "new" type of track bike, optimized for a flat, rough grass surface, not a high speed banked concrete or wood surface.

I hope this does take off. We need more track racing and that will lead to more velodromes that actually work as a business model. (This country had one of the all-time great racers and world champion. We had pro racing in many cities.
Old 04-06-20, 05:27 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Become an NJS nerd... Then you will be wishing there were less makers
Old 04-12-20, 01:56 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Or if tracklocross becomes more mainstream. Hell, I want to find more people to ride fixed singletrack. Nothing better than chasing the dual squishy boys uphill.
Old 04-13-20, 05:21 AM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LNKFixed
Why does it seem like the field for name brand track bikes is pretty limited? Sure you've got the Fuji Track Elite and the Specialized Langster still. But it seems like without being at a professional level there's just not much to be had in the way of competition focused track bikes like the S-Works Langster, Trek T1, Cannondale CAAD Track, etc etc.
Hv you tried BMC, Look? Alan has a nice one as well, but not sure if they are comp oriented
Old 04-14-20, 01:37 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I don't know if they meet your definition of "big name", but Waterford and Gunnar still make track frames and Gunnar contract-builds for Milwaukee Bike Co. Then there is All City. They deserve a mention with the Big Block and the Thunderdome. Of course Wabi can be added to the list, but they may not fit your definition, don't know.