Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Schwinn's early attempt at a MTB- Sierra MOS

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn's early attempt at a MTB- Sierra MOS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20, 04:10 PM
NorthFloridaKev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Schwinn's early attempt at a MTB- Sierra MOS (with pix)

I recently pulled this from my storage unit after 15+ years. When my bike guy saw it, he encouraged me to get it back in running order, so I did.
According to him, it's something like a late 80's or maybe a 1990 bike... so around 30 years old.
Bottom bracket reads; 035962
It has the original forks, wheels/hubs, bars, stem, and drivetrain. The seat, grips and tires/tubes rotted over time due to being rubber, so I replaced them.
From what I understand, the U-brakes they used on these bikes are rare... only used for a couple of years. This one has the original U-brakes.
I know for sure the shifters are not original. Not sure where or when those got switched.
The last thing I was told was that this is a fairly rare color. The vast majority of these were made in red. This is the "smoked chrome" option. I can barely even find other pictures of the bike in this color, much less actual bikes to try to get an idea of what they might sell for.

Overall, I'd say it's in pretty darn good condition. It was definitely ridden back in the day. It has it's small scratches and dings, but still, it's a pretty great example of a time when manufacturers were first trying to figure out how to make bikes for adults to go off-road. BMX was for kids. But there were adults that wanted something for dirt. This was an early attempt to meet that need.

Any input on value would be greatly appreciated. I know there's someone selling one (in the standard Red) on ebay from about the same period, and they're asking $299. That's about what my bike guy said too. Just looking for confirmation before putting this one up for sale.

Last edited by NorthFloridaKev; 09-07-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-07-20, 06:17 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Don't go off optimistic eBay prices to list you bike on Craigslist. Think about what a mid-range mtb in good condition is selling for in your area. That's the price you want to hit, and sadly for a seller, that price is likely to be hovering around $100, maybe a little more when you figure in the COVID tax. Rare ≠ valuable. Oddball ≠ desirable. Those U-brakes never caught on because they catch and ball up mud and debris when offroading.
Old 09-07-20, 06:27 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
It is intersting how the U-brakes are up on the seat stays like that. I thought one of their desirable qualities (one of their few, perhaps) was that they were generally mounted down on the chain stays and make for a "cleaner" look to the seat stay area. It seems like they could have done regular cantilevers if they were planning to mount bikes to the seat stays anyway.
Old 09-08-20, 06:14 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
The combination of Shimano 400LX derailleurs, OS tubing and G-Force chain stays puts this 1990-1992. The serial number suggests a 1990 or 1991 model manufactured in 1990. Normally, this model would have been equipped with cantilever brakes on both the front and rear. In this case, the employment of a U-brake is likely a concession to the very small frame size, where the probability of a heel strike on protruding cantilever arms and subsequent releasing of the yoke cable was an issue. I would have expected this to be equipped with Rapid Fire shift levers, as opposed to thumb shifters.
Old 09-08-20, 01:24 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I think $300 would be a bit high for most markets. On a local sale I would say $200 or so. Very nice bike I really like the early 90's LX stuff the bike is one of the last of the mid level Schcwinn MTB's to have really nice components throughout in later years they downgraded a lot of components on the mid level models to keep prices costs down.
Old 09-09-20, 05:14 AM
NorthFloridaKev

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm definitely grateful to those who responded here. Seriously... much appreciated.

The money really isn't of much importance, necessarily... it's not much, after all. I think I'd just like to see it in the hands of someone who can appreciate it for what it was and the era it was from. I think it's kinda cool, and the smoked chrome color kinda helps that for me... not sure exactly why... they only came in red and then a few were made with this color.

I have about $120 into it at this point, between the tubes/tires, seat, pedals and tune up. A few weeks ago it was under a pile of dust and boxes in my storage unit. Now it's something that might be actually admired by the right person- maybe someone who once had one when they were younger.
Old 09-09-20, 05:19 AM
NorthFloridaKev

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The combination of Shimano 400LX derailleurs, OS tubing and G-Force chain stays puts this 1990-1992. The serial number suggests a 1990 or 1991 model manufactured in 1990. Normally, this model would have been equipped with cantilever brakes on both the front and rear. In this case, the employment of a U-brake is likely a concession to the very small frame size, where the probability of a heel strike on protruding cantilever arms and subsequent releasing of the yoke cable was an issue. I would have expected this to be equipped with Rapid Fire shift levers, as opposed to thumb shifters.
Wow, this is a great analysis! Thanks for taking the time to write this.

The shifters definitely were swapped at some point. My bike guy told me that the forks are often missing on these as shock forks came along not too long after this, so people often swapped those out.

You seem extremely knowledgeable about all of this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 09-09-20, 09:17 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I would consider the stem bars and thumbies to be upgrades from stock. Since the nice and vintage correct they don't effect value.
Old 09-27-20, 05:22 PM
NorthFloridaKev

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
***FOLLOW UP***

I wanted to follow up this thread and give a big thanks to the people that were genuinely genuinely helpful here; Zukahn1 and T-Mar... I sincerely appreciate your input.

The bike sold in one week on Ebay to a buyer in California. Final price: $280 + $60 for S&H.

The buyer actually sent me a direct message one minute after buying it, telling me how happy he was to see another one. He had seen and considered buying the a fore mentioned red Sierra MOS on Ebay from the same period [the one for $299], but it sold before he made his decision. He was amazed to see mine pop up a week later, and in the rare color that he remembered from his younger days when he first saw a "mountain" bicycle. He pulled the trigger immediately this time. He loves the color. Loves the look of the gum-wall tires, the pedals, everything retro about it.

I'm just glad it is now owned by someone who really likes and appreciates it... thanks again for the help guys...

Old 01-30-22, 07:47 AM
subaron

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat post diameter?

Does anyone know the seat post size for this bike? Is it 26.2mm or 26.4mm?