Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing integrated shifters on an old Trek mtb

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-17-20, 11:29 PM
SoCalTom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an old 1996 Trek 7000 mountain bike that I want to keep running, and I need to replace the 7 speed integrated shift / brake levers. Suffice it to say that I ruined the originals.

I sense it’s not as easy as just buying any old Shimano integrated shifter that I can find. Can someone help a newbie understand what knowledge I need to gain in order to properly replace these shifters? Would most 7 speed Shimano Integrated style shifters work (if I can find them)? Would they likely have the same pull ratio? Could modern components possibly be compatible with the old cantilever brakes?

I’m hoping to do it myself so that I can learn, and save the shop fees.

And yes, I’ll be buying a new bike, but this is the bike I want to learn on, in case I decide to build a bike someday. Thanks!
Old 09-18-20, 05:56 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
How far down the rabbit hole do you wanna go? Integrated 7 speed shifter/brake levers is gonna be a tough one. Buying used is a crapshoot - you really don't know if the parts is in good serviceable condition.

My recommendation: Get a cheap (on your wallet, not quality) 9 speed groupset - shifter, derailleur, chain. Microshift Advent is a quality groupset I can wholeheartedly recommend - I have it on two bikes. Ditch the front shifter/derailleur and go 1x. 1x chainrings of your gearing choosing can be had for cheap (Amazon/ebay) you don't have to go fancy on a 90s project bike. Plenty of how-to videos on Youtube from Microshift and Park Tool will help guide you with the appropriate tools needed. Oh, if you really wanted to, Advent can be had in an 8 speed version, if that's your jam....
Old 09-18-20, 07:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Shimano has been producing their EF series for a number of years in 7, 8 and 9 speed versions, some with a brake lever that is convertible from canti to linear pulls. Andy
Old 09-18-20, 07:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
How far down the rabbit hole do you wanna go? Integrated 7 speed shifter/brake levers is gonna be a tough one. Buying used is a crapshoot - you really don't know if the parts is in good serviceable condition..
New 7 speed shifters are readily available. Well as available as stuff is during COVID

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Shimano-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 09-18-20, 07:58 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I work at non-profit where most of the nicer bikes donated have broken/inoperable shifters. I replace shifters like this with salvaged or new parts several times a week. I repair/lubricate most of the others. Cable replacement is easy on these (assuming you can still shift in to high gear). Many times the hardest part is removing old grips. You may need new grips, and you may need to repair dented bar ends. (Use eye protection when filing.)

If there's a bike co-op in your area, they'll have a bin full of salvaged shifters. Staff can help with installation, and getting the proper brake lever for canti or linear pull.
Old 09-18-20, 08:10 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
According to bikeapedia, that bike came with twist shifters,
The main question though is-
Do you have V brakes or canti's?
V brake shifters are easy to find.
Canti's need a 4 Finger version like in the pic. They are convertible to either.

Old 09-18-20, 08:49 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It is possible that the shift mechanism can be removed from the integrated shift/bnrake lever and a new shifter can be removed from its mount and bolted in place where the old one came off. This was possible for a abunch of shimano shifters - very likely if the shifter can be removed with one allen head bolt from the top. If the shifter has multiple bolts holding it to the integrated shift/brake lever mount, it is probably not possible.

Another option is to remove the shift mechanism and hacksaw off the part of the mount that does not affect the brake lever, then get a separate 7 speed shift lever to mount beside it. The one possible snag with this strategy is that the exisiting handlebar clamp might be too wide and interfere with some new shift levers.

The best 7 speed shifters I know of are: https://www.amazon.ca/SHIMANO-Altus-.../dp/B0833BY837 but other options are available.

Also, if your bike has V-brakes (linear pull) then just about any modern brake lever will work if you decide you don't want the hassle of combined shift/brake levers.
Old 09-18-20, 08:55 AM
SoCalTom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate it!
Old 09-18-20, 09:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
The ST-EF51 shifters that have been noted above are your best bet for ease of replacement, especially since they will work with your cantilever brakes.

The only other option would be to buy separate shifters and brake levers.

Something like a Tektro RT354AG brake levers and separate Shimano shifters like the SL-M315 or equivalent.

I still run 7/8 speed and have both V and canti brakes. I have used integrated 90's shifters and you lose the ability to swap just the shifters (25 years later as you are aware) when it goes bad. I am also a bit leery that the newer shifters will hold up anything close to the older ones that were made with more metal in their construction, which means ongoing integrated replacement.

John
Old 09-18-20, 10:58 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Also, you can get very inexpensive direct-pull brakes that will bolt on where cantis are removed, and these will work with any new brake levers you can find. Direct pul brakes are, IMO, superior to cantilevers - easier to set up and maintain, and generally better braking.
Old 09-18-20, 02:50 PM
SoCalTom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, appreciate all the great input. Yes, they are canti brakes, and I might have had the shop replace the twist shifters with index when I bought it, can't remember all the details. I'll search for a bike co-op in Los Angeles area as suggested by andrewclaus, would be great to have some hands-on guidance in the beginning. Thanks again!