Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain rings shifting has 4 positions when it should have 2

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 03:02 PM
fadetoblack22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

So when I shift my chain from big to small, there seems to be 4 clicks I can do with the shifter rather than 2. Is this normal? I've tried to adjust the tension and position screws on the derailleur with no luck.

Video of my issue: drive.google.com/file/d/16vxGaWAHCv6s92yVgMMi-06IW9brQ-aI/view?usp=sharing

Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-20, 03:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The video does not provide the model shifter you have. Many front shifters have 4 positions in order to be able to trim the front derailleur when riding cross chained
Old 09-29-20, 03:07 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
It's normal. They're called trim positions. Some derailleurs have them, others don't.

You can use them when cross chaining to avoid chain rub on the front derailleur.
Old 09-29-20, 03:17 PM
fadetoblack22

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
It's normal. They're called trim positions. Some derailleurs have them, others don't.

You can use them when cross chaining to avoid chain rub on the front derailleur.
Thanks. So I just have to be aware when I'm changing that it might take an extra click to shift?

It's the shimano sora - I forgot to say.
Old 09-29-20, 07:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
It's normal. They're called trim positions. Some derailleurs have them, others don't..
Technically it's in the shifter, not the derailleur.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-29-20, 07:02 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
What bike?

My bike has Sora components, but the shifters are MicroShift brand. The front has 4 clicks for trimming the front derailleur.
Old 09-29-20, 08:40 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
My Trek with Campy ergo brake /shifters has the trim clicks also. The rear derailleur is indexed and indexes nicely. The front derailleur is friction shifting. Takes two clicks to shift from the large chain ring to the small one and vice versa.
Old 09-29-20, 09:23 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
My Trek with Campy ergo brake /shifters has the trim clicks also. The rear derailleur is indexed and indexes nicely. The front derailleur is friction shifting. Takes two clicks to shift from the large chain ring to the small one and vice versa.
Campy Ergo left shifters are definitely not 'friction'.
Old 09-29-20, 09:47 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Campy Ergo left shifters are definitely not 'friction'.
OK the front has index clicks but more than needed to get to the next chainwheel. Not like the rear derailleur. I finally dialed it in after waching the you tube video from Arts Cyclery. It is normal to have several clicks with the front derailleur.
Old 09-29-20, 09:59 PM
frogman

cxwrench,

Sheldon Brown does a better job of explaining the Campy Ergo front shifters than I do, technically they are not indexed shifters in the front. :

"Campagnolo Ergo shifters. These are indexed on the rear, but not in front. The Ergos are not strictly "friction" shifters, as they do "click" when you shift them, but they have many "micro clicks" permitting considerable "fine tuning" of front derailer position."
Likes For frogman:
Old 09-29-20, 11:34 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by dedhed
Technically it's in the shifter, not the derailleur.
Yes, you're right. The need for trim positions however is dictated by the FD design. For example, with SRAM Yaw derailleurs they're not needed and you can crosschain without chain rub if properly set up.

Last edited by Amt0571; 09-29-20 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-29-20, 11:38 PM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by fadetoblack22
Thanks. So I just have to be aware when I'm changing that it might take an extra click to shift?

It's the shimano sora - I forgot to say.
Yes, you'll get used to it. If you cross chain you'll probably have to use the trim position to avoid chain rub.
Old 09-30-20, 02:23 AM
fadetoblack22

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
What bike?

My bike has Sora components, but the shifters are MicroShift brand. The front has 4 clicks for trimming the front derailleur.
It's the Genesis Croix de fer 10
Old 09-30-20, 02:41 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I sometimes wish my Shimano Altus triple chainring had a way to trim the front derailleur. It uses a twist grip shifter and while it allows for a trim adjustment when I make the shift sometimes I'm not comfortable when it clicks into position even after a few adjustments.

I see why some prefer a friction shifter for the front derailleur. The back 7 speed freewheel's
shifting seems pretty good once properly adjusted though.
Old 09-30-20, 05:29 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I use Campy Ergo on my main bike and had a hard time when I rented a 105 11sp equipped bike and also once a 10sp Ultegra because I couldn't get rid of the chain rub the way I'm used to. Be happy you have trim.
Old 09-30-20, 06:56 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by zacster
I use Campy Ergo on my main bike and had a hard time when I rented a 105 11sp equipped bike and also once a 10sp Ultegra because I couldn't get rid of the chain rub the way I'm used to. Be happy you have trim.
What I'm wondering is: why is SRAM universally known to be unable to make a good FD when they're the only ones who can manage a FD that needs no trim and doesn't rub? Why can't Shimano and Campy do it too?

To be fair, SRAM Yaw FDs are a huge pain in the ass to set up properly, but once done, they work perfectly.
Old 09-30-20, 08:09 AM
zacster

What I'm wondering is: why is SRAM universally known to be unable to make a good FD when they're the only ones who can manage a FD that needs no trim and doesn't rub? Why can't Shimano and Campy do it too?

To be fair, SRAM Yaw FDs are a huge pain in the ass to set up properly, but once done, they work perfectly.
With the Campy I have I like being able to get the front just right. To get on the big ring I shift it all the way and then back off one click and I'm good for all 10 cogs. For the small ring there is no one position that is good for everything. Each click though is small. It all feels very natural, like friction but not.
Old 09-30-20, 08:54 AM
cxwrench

Both of those bikes were not set up properly if you had chain rub. They both have trim features.

I'll never understand why people think that Yaw derailleurs are somehow hard to set up. Slightly more time consuming, yes. Difficult, not at all.
Old 09-30-20, 09:08 AM
Amt0571

With the Campy I have I like being able to get the front just right. To get on the big ring I shift it all the way and then back off one click and I'm good for all 10 cogs. For the small ring there is no one position that is good for everything. Each click though is small. It all feels very natural, like friction but not.
Well, with SRAM Yaw derailleur you don't need to trim anything. You shift whatever gear and there's nothing to adjust.

Both of those bikes were not set up properly if you had chain rub. They both have trim features.

I'll never understand why people think that Yaw derailleurs are somehow hard to set up. Slightly more time consuming, yes. Difficult, not at all.
For me, more time consuming means it's a pain in the ass. I have little free time unfortunately.
Old 09-30-20, 09:31 AM
cxwrench

Well, with SRAM Yaw derailleur you don't need to trim anything. You shift whatever gear and there's nothing to adjust.

For me, more time consuming means it's a pain in the ass. I have little free time unfortunately.
Hold on...you're telling me that your life is so busy...that you have so little time that you can't find an extra 5 minutes at the most to adjust a derailleur? One time? I hope you're really good at changing flats on the road, if not your life might fall apart.
Old 09-30-20, 10:12 AM
Amt0571

Hold on...you're telling me that your life is so busy...that you have so little time that you can't find an extra 5 minutes at the most to adjust a derailleur? One time? I hope you're really good at changing flats on the road, if not your life might fall apart.
My life is so busy that it's difficult for me to find 1h to wrench on the bike. Which is almost the time I needed to replace the cable and perfectly set up the FD when it moved because the clamp got loose. Nice to know you do it in five minutes. It could be that I'm slower because it was the first time I set up a Yaw FD.

Anyway, thanks for judging me. Maybe someday you'll discover how having a child and a wife that works during your free time affects your ability to wrench before 10pm and your ability to ride after 9am.
Old 09-30-20, 10:31 AM
frogman

[QUOTE=cxwrench;21720804]Hold on...you're telling me that your life is so busy...that you have so little time that you can't find an extra 5 minutes at the most to adjust a derailleur? One time? I hope you're really good at changing flats on the road, if not your life might fall apart.[/QUOTE

Here you go again. Are you unable to post constructively without the snide remarks ?
Old 09-30-20, 12:17 PM
zacster

They were rentals from two different places, so probably not. Plus I'm used to Campy which works opposite of Shimano so I was constantly shifting the wrong way.
Old 09-30-20, 08:09 PM
cxwrench

[QUOTE=frogman;21720911]
Hold on...you're telling me that your life is so busy...that you have so little time that you can't find an extra 5 minutes at the most to adjust a derailleur? One time? I hope you're really good at changing flats on the road, if not your life might fall apart.[/QUOTE

Here you go again. Are you unable to post constructively without the snide remarks ?
Barely, but I do have my moments.