Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colin Laing bicycles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colin Laing bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 04:11 PM
Ian Laing
Ian Laing

Bikes: Colin Laing. Colian Ian Laing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ian Laing here, we didn't do the wishbone and the sunburst paint job until 1987. We began the American version while working at Tempe bike shop. During that time we used Mavic groupsets on our frames.
Old 11-01-12, 04:20 PM
Ian Laing
Ian Laing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ian here, If this frame is a 56cm or 22 inch frame, this is quite possibly one of my personal frames that I rode and repainted and sold as used bike. I still have these decals in red, black or white lettering. They are a waterslide decal. Haven't used them for years.
Old 11-01-12, 10:08 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for clearing up that riddle about the respray Ian!

Do you still do any frame work at all, or is that chapter of your life closed?
Old 11-06-12, 07:59 PM
Ian Laing
Ian Laing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can still do frame work. I am currently working on a different kind of artwork. Check out thirdnailcreations.com to see what I am up to lately.
Originally Posted by frpax
Thanks for clearing up that riddle about the respray Ian!

Do you still do any frame work at all, or is that chapter of your life closed?
Old 11-07-12, 11:36 PM
whentruthdivide

Bikes: Ian Laing, Colian, Surly Cross Check, Kona Ute

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually got lucky and acquired a 50th anniversary colin laing bicycle today still in pretty mint condition. I'm guessing it was built in the mid 2000s? It had a carbon fork dated January 2005 that looked original to the frame as it had water decals matching the frame. Although I was a little perplexed because I thought the frames were labeled colian? The bottom bracket is stamped NP 7 W 43 and has a really nice butterfly like cutout. It is red paint with hand painted white trim around the lugs. The seatpost fit a 26.6. I'll post up pictures soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4278.jpg (55.4 KB, 983 views)
IMG_4276.jpg (32.0 KB, 974 views)
IMG_4272.jpg (45.0 KB, 976 views)
IMG_4270.jpg (34.7 KB, 967 views)
IMG_4268.jpg (33.7 KB, 967 views)
IMG_4266.jpg (31.1 KB, 969 views)
IMG_4264.jpg (37.6 KB, 972 views)

Last edited by whentruthdivide; 11-08-12 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 04:27 AM
olly708

Bikes: ALAN alloy, Argos Reynolds 753, Tony Oliver Custom Reynolds/Columbus tourer, Raleigh Richmond (Reynolds 531), Raleigh Hustler all-steel roadster Raleigh Road Ace (531c)Raleigh Vitesse Carlton Corsair (531)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ian Laing
Ian here, If this frame is a 56cm or 22 inch frame, this is quite possibly one of my personal frames that I rode and repainted and sold as used bike. I still have these decals in red, black or white lettering. They are a waterslide decal. Haven't used them for years.
Hi Ian,

The green sparkle finish Colin Laing pre-1974 frame is still with my welder chum who's had a really busy year working away, so no progress on the frame repair yet. It will get repaired, I'm determined to do it! You mention that you still have some waterslide transfers. If you would be prepared to sell a set, I will be happy to buy one. I have the telephone number from the thirdnailcreations site - so I'll give you a call to discuss if that's OK

best regards

(Steve)

Last edited by olly708; 11-12-12 at 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-16-12, 11:38 PM
sjpitts 

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Mr Truth

I see your bike once belonged to the "Flying Scottsman". I used to own a Colian bike that was built for the same guy.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ing?highlight=

I was told when I bought the bike that he was a personal friend of Colin's. It certainly was a unique bike. I am guessing that I had the later bike and you have the earlier one

Old 11-17-12, 06:18 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Coincidentally, I recently picked up a small paperback book published in 1975 by Bike World. The title is Bicycle Frames, and the cover price is $1.95.

There's a seven page chapter, Inside the Custom Frame Shop, by Colin Laing. It's well written, and describes the process of designing and building a custom frame in step-by-step detail.

Colin Laing page 1

Colin Laing page 2

Colin Laing page 3

Colin Laing page 4

Colin Laing page 5

Colin Laing page 6

Colin Laing page 7

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Likes For Scooper:
Old 03-28-13, 07:08 PM
Shaku

Bikes: Custom Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a long time lurker on here and was hoping I could find some help. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here on Colin Laing and would like some assistance in determining more information, the pedigree, etc. of this bike that I recently acquired. I was told by the original owner it was a rebranded Cramerotti, but this doesn't make sense with the M on the headtube lug. Which from this, the second owner told me it was probably a rebranded Marinoni. But from another source, I was told that Mr. Laing would most likely not rebrand stuff, so the M is a bit of a mystery. Anyway, here are the pics, and I'm sorry if this counts as reviving a thread that is too old

EDIT: I should also point out some details not seen in the pics. It has an Italian threaded BB shell, takes a 27.2 seatpost, takes modern 130mm road spacing (not sure if this was cold set or not), and has a braze-on for a front derailleur as well as a chain catcher and a brazeon for a frame pump on the headtube

Last edited by Shaku; 03-28-13 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-06-13, 02:41 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 646 Posts
very nicely made bikes
Old 04-08-13, 07:03 AM
Shaku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
very nicely made bikes
They do look very well made, the detail on the bike is very well done
Old 04-13-13, 06:46 AM
Shaku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Well shaku, you found the problem with thread resurrection and a new question. So far, you've been bypassed. You may have to start a new one.
JC
Maybe I'll give it a shot. Im in email contact with Stuart Laing, hoping he could dig up some info. Maybe I'll contact Ian that I see up there as well and see what else I can find.
Old 04-15-13, 10:14 AM
whentruthdivide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Well shaku, you found the problem with thread resurrection and a new question. So far, you've been bypassed. You may have to start a new one.
JC
I am no Laing expert, but it does look like an authentic Colin Laing to me. From what I have heard living in Phoenix is that Colin did do personal touches on bikes, so the 'M' in the headtube lug could have been the initial of the original owner of the bike. The pinstripping around the lugs definitely looks like a Colin Laing bike. The Red Laing I had (now sold) was 130mm rear spacing as well. I believe Colin built bikes up through mid 2000's or something so could be a more recent bike. It's really a nice looking frame though!
Old 04-15-13, 10:20 AM
whentruthdivide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally built up the Ian Laing. I was going to repaint it (thanks Ian for the extra decals!), but I decided I liked the original paint for now. I had to coldset the rear triangle to 130mm to accept modern wheelset. But it went smoothly following Sheldon Brown's instructions. I have made a few changes since the picture; I swapped to a threadless adapter to run a modern stem and handlebar and replaced the pedals with clipless pedals. Really liking it!
Attached Images
Laing - smaller.jpg (101.8 KB, 978 views)

Last edited by whentruthdivide; 04-15-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 10:33 AM
whentruthdivide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also built up the Red Coling Laing I had, and ended up selling it. I retrospect I wish I would have hung onto it, but I had too many bikes at the time and wanted to fund building the ian Laing.
Attached Images
Coling Laing.jpg (100.3 KB, 985 views)
Old 04-22-13, 08:01 PM
Shaku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got mine built up and took her out for her first ride

Old 04-22-13, 08:32 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
That's mahvelous!
Old 04-22-13, 08:43 PM
Shaku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
That's mahvelous!
Thanks I just love how the cable housing looks with it

Old 04-30-13, 12:33 AM
olly708

Bikes: ALAN alloy, Argos Reynolds 753, Tony Oliver Custom Reynolds/Columbus tourer, Raleigh Richmond (Reynolds 531), Raleigh Hustler all-steel roadster Raleigh Road Ace (531c)Raleigh Vitesse Carlton Corsair (531)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks lovely. Enid Blyton would have been pleased with the cable/toeclips and straps colour scheme!

Old 04-30-13, 01:29 PM
7speed
Gaspipe Pilot

Bikes: Lots of bikes for lots of different kinds of riding....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aha, a way to combine two of my internet interests! I am also into the trumpet (and other brass instruments) and this thread on another board I read gives an example of another piece of Laing family craftsmanship!
Old 06-25-13, 11:36 AM
olly708

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by olly708
Finally collected the frame today. The paintwork is a bit battered and a previous owner had to use caustic soda to remove a stuck seat post. No doubt as to the quality of the build however. Lovely lug work, shot in seat stays, Campag front & rear dropouts, interesting fork crown. No frame number under the bottom bracket, but has the number 100 stamped into one rear dropout. Removed the forks and they have the same number 100 stamped into the steerer - so at least I can be certain the forks are original and match the frame. Rear dropout spacing is (as best I can measure it) 123mm. I can't believe the thickness of the paint - even though it's badly marked. Fortunately, the bottom bracket came out very easily and a relatively new Campag Athena headset came with the frame - so that's a bonus.

It also has the following message - hand printed in block letters on the top tube - underneath the lacquer....."I RIDE, THEREFORE I AM". This was obviously someone's pride and joy at one time. A sensitive restoration is on the horizon. Some pictures below.

It was purchased from the north-east of England, where Colin used to live and work. If it actually is one of Colin's frames, it's one he must have built in England, so if anyone can advise on the approximate date, or can put me in touch with Colin, I'd appreciate it. I know he's not been well, but he might be interested in knowing one of his English-built frames has survived the passing years relatively intact.
Finally finished the refurbishment of the frame. A good friend made the water slide decals - a homage to Colin's originals as his decals are no longer available.

Painted, lacquered and decals fitted in my garage. All done with aerosols, so not as good as a professional painter, but very satisfying to bring this battered frame back to life. Just need to build it up with some good quality components.

Hope you like the finished effect.

Likes For olly708:
Old 06-25-13, 12:59 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
That looks VERY good for an aerosol job!
Old 06-25-13, 04:53 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
That looks VERY good for an aerosol job!

Yeah, great job on that!
Old 07-15-13, 06:41 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
shaku, that white bike is really sharp.
Old 07-22-13, 07:46 AM
Shaku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbi
shaku, that white bike is really sharp.
Thanks very much it's truly a blast to ride, it feels like it may have been a crit bike built for someone with a name that started with a "M". it's quite twitchy and has an extremely tight wheelbase and millimeters of clearence in the rear triangle as you can see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.