Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed Gear/Single Speed - Start Here!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixed Gear/Single Speed - Start Here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 12:17 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by devalious
hi,

how do I know if a chainring fits a crank?

I'm asking because i'm buying a Stronglight crank and I want to throw a Miche chainring onto it.
You go by BCD; BCD has to be the same for both the chainring and crank in order for proper fit.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 07-05-11, 08:16 PM
Nate916

Bikes: KHS flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Everyone!
Old 07-09-11, 09:40 PM
stovb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone else have one of the IRO build kit v1?

https://www.irocycle.com/irobuildkitv1.aspx
Old 07-10-11, 10:30 AM
Nate916

Bikes: KHS flite 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamie.
Any advice on keeping my skinny little hiney from hurting so much after a ride? I'm not used to such narrow, firm seats. I'm assuming I'll just have to get used to it.
I had the same issue, First couple rides I actually thought that I may have been bleeding... Not the case. After a while you wont have this issue. If your riding a fixie or anything with stiff skinny tires you may want to brace yourself for bumps or uneven pavement by getting slightly off the saddle. Just hover over the seat as you pass the uneven pavement. pretty soon it will be second nature.
Old 07-12-11, 09:36 AM
afsdjkll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can this be the dumb questions section too?

Does anyone have a good link or description of how to flip flop a flip flop hub? I've checked out https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html and obviously found a lot of info. If I'm just changing from fixed to freewheel (as it stands, both are the same size gears), I'm guessing I don't need to mess with adjusting stack bolts on the crank and all that. I just need to pull back on the wheel enough to set the chain tension right after the flip flop. Is that right?
Old 07-12-11, 06:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by afsdjkll
Can this be the dumb questions section too?

Does anyone have a good link or description of how to flip flop a flip flop hub? I've checked out https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html and obviously found a lot of info. If I'm just changing from fixed to freewheel (as it stands, both are the same size gears), I'm guessing I don't need to mess with adjusting stack bolts on the crank and all that. I just need to pull back on the wheel enough to set the chain tension right after the flip flop. Is that right?
Yup. Provided you have the same number of teeth on each side, OR horizontal dropouts, tooth sizes within 1-2 teeth of each other and chain trimmed appropriately to allow proper tension with each cog.
Old 07-12-11, 09:01 PM
afsdjkll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I've got horizontal dropouts..so I think I'm set on that front. Both the freewheel and fixed are 18T (this is maybe a weird decision, granted). So if I decide one day to drop the rear cog to a 15T (or smaller), would that require more than adjusting the axle in the horizontal dropouts to ensure the chain has proper tension?
Old 07-12-11, 09:16 PM
Verbose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afsdjkll
Thanks! I've got horizontal dropouts..so I think I'm set on that front. Both the freewheel and fixed are 18T (this is maybe a weird decision, granted). So if I decide one day to drop the rear cog to a 15T (or smaller), would that require more than adjusting the axle in the horizontal dropouts to ensure the chain has proper tension?
That depends where your wheel currently sits. If you have plenty of room, you just move the wheel further back. At the most, you'd just have to remove a link or two if there's not enough room to tension it that way.
Old 07-19-11, 02:50 AM
lawilt

Bikes: Fuji Track Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, Total Newbe here, started building my first fixed gear bike. I am wanting to use the bike for commuting, fun. I have already purchased a Fuji Track Pro with the carbon forks. I am looking into which crankset I should get. I began looking at Campagnolo Super record Carbon 172.5 as a possible, but then being a newbe I thought that I should ask some folks that know if there are any reasons that I shouldn't/couldn't use this for a fixed gear bike. Feedback please
Old 07-19-11, 08:10 AM
afsdjkll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure the Carbon costs enough? Why not go for titanium? jeezus. Are you locking this thing up to poles or doing something competitive?
Old 07-19-11, 08:22 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by lawilt
I began looking at Campagnolo Super record Carbon 172.5 as a possible, but then being a newbe I thought that I should ask some folks that know if there are any reasons that I shouldn't/couldn't use this for a fixed gear bike.
Pedal strike and toe overlap.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-19-11, 09:20 AM
lawilt

Bikes: Fuji Track Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, What length crankset would be better? The frame is 56cm
Old 07-19-11, 04:08 PM
andrizzle
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
depends. i have a 56 and ride a 165. but from my understanding the pedals make a bigger difference.
Old 07-19-11, 07:52 PM
Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
* WARNING NOOB QUESTION AHEAD *

Just bought my first fixed gear bicycle - Windsor The Hour - and I am having a lot of trouble stopping. I've tried the skidding method of leaning over the handle bars and applying pressure, but the pedals continue to turn and basically throw my right foot - dominate leg - out of the straps. I know you guys aren't watching me do it, so you can't give me advice on technique, but my question is this: would a lousy gear ratio make it terribly hard to stop - even when applying a ton of pressure? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-11, 08:35 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Life
Just bought my first fixed gear bicycle - Windsor The Hour - and I am having a lot of trouble stopping. I've tried the skidding method of leaning over the handle bars and applying pressure, but the pedals continue to turn and basically throw my right foot - dominate leg - out of the straps. I know you guys aren't watching me do it, so you can't give me advice on technique, but my question is this: would a lousy gear ratio make it terribly hard to stop - even when applying a ton of pressure?
First things first. Skidding is not a good way to stop, especially if you are leaning forward and unloading the rear wheel. You need to learn to back pedal by applying pressure in the opposite direction while the rear wheel is still turning (not skidding). The stock gearing on the Windsor Hour is too high for road use (48 x 15 or 16), and will make it hard to start and stop. I suggest you replace the rear cog with an 18T to lower the gear and get used to riding and stopping fixed. Also, I recommend putting the brake on the front wheel. You may be able to use the stock rear brake with a longer nut or may need a new caliper with a longer bolt. Finally, riding fixed requires good foot retention and the stock pedals / clips / straps are poor quality. You need something that will keep your feet on the pedals when you are trying to pull back.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 07-19-11 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-19-11, 08:49 PM
Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-19-11, 09:15 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

If you want to learn how to skid; lean forward in the beginning of performing a skid so you shift the weight of yourself from the rear of the bike toward the front, a good indicator/ rule of thumb is "ballz to the stem", meanwhile locking up your legs.

A brake can never be replaced by skidding and back pressure through.

Last edited by Leukybear; 07-19-11 at 10:02 PM. Reason: argh typo
Old 07-19-11, 09:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by lawilt
Okay, Total Newbe here, started building my first fixed gear bike. I am wanting to use the bike for commuting, fun. I have already purchased a Fuji Track Pro with the carbon forks. I am looking into which crankset I should get. I began looking at Campagnolo Super record Carbon 172.5 as a possible, but then being a newbe I thought that I should ask some folks that know if there are any reasons that I shouldn't/couldn't use this for a fixed gear bike. Feedback please
For a fixed gear, I'd suggest shorter arms.

Personally, I'd use 165mm.
Old 07-28-11, 07:34 PM
dk2ck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't want to start a new topic, so I decided to post a question here.

Earlier today I took my stem and spacers off my steerer tube and noticed some light rust (just surface rust). Is this an issue? Am I supposed to put some grease on the steerer tube before reinstalling the stem and spacers?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-11, 07:42 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

That surface rust isn't going to do much, don't worry about it. There's no need to use grease.
However what I would suggest is moving your bike to a drier storage place or wiping it down better the next time it makes contact with the elements.

Old 08-29-11, 05:33 PM
measley0101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
newb question here:

im having trouble clipping into my toe clips on my fixie. its hard to flip the pedal over with my foot as its moving. its a silly problem, but does anyone have any tips??
Old 08-29-11, 06:04 PM
Verbose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by measley0101
newb question here:

im having trouble clipping into my toe clips on my fixie. its hard to flip the pedal over with my foot as its moving. its a silly problem, but does anyone have any tips??
Practice / different pedals. Some pedals will be easier to flip, but for the most part its just a practice thing that will get easier over time. Crappy answer
Old 08-29-11, 07:03 PM
measley0101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats pretty much all i needed to hear. i figured it was just a practice thing but wanted to make sure i wasnt missing some huge step or something. thanks verbose
Old 08-29-11, 07:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by measley0101
newb question here:

Do your pedals have a tab to help flip it up so you can slide your shoe in? Different pedals have different designs, some lack tabs altogether, and some tabs are larger than others. The pedal on the bottom (Lyotard mod. 23) was explicitly designed for fixed gear use with a large tab to make it easier to flip the pedal up.

The Lyotard mod. 23 was in production from the mid-1930s until the late 1980s so despite the fact they haven't been made for quite some time there are still quite a few around. Other manufacturers, e.g. MKS and SR make similar pedals with large tabs, and more recently White Industries' "Urban Pedal" is a close, albeit expensive updated copy of the original mod. 23 pedal. The only problem (IMHO) is that WI pedal doesn't have a ridge to hold a slotted cleat, but I rather suspect I'm one of only a very few people who still uses slotted cleats on a regular basis.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 08-29-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 08:03 PM
measley0101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no they dont, these are pretty cheap clipped pedals i got from the lbs. nothing special, i will upgrade eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.