Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

broken collarbone question

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 02:36 PM
Dcv

Bikes: Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so i got hit by a car 2-1/2 months (10 weeks) ago, broke my collarbone in 3 pieces. I got back on the bike 6 weeks after the accident and have been riding since. It feels fine now, doctor said no restrictions and i'm even playing golf again.

thing is i just went for follow up / xray and my collarbone is still in 3 pieces. Dr said it could take as long as 6 months for it to grow back together. he said i'm on the fence between surgery / no surgery. i don't get why it's still in pieces and doesn't hurt. i have full range of motion - even more than my other shoulder that had surgery from another bike crash 7 years ago (i really don't crash that much)

i know a few of you guys here have also broken your collarbones, did it take that long to heal? is this unusual?
Old 09-23-11, 02:49 PM
longjohns
Noob.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mine took about 8 months to completely heal. at 6 it was fused back together but was still sensitive to direct hits.
Old 09-23-11, 03:19 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
I was back on the bike in about 6 weeks also. I definitely don't feel mine is at 100%, I broke mine back in May.
Old 09-23-11, 03:37 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I've broken mine 3 times. Once on the right side and twice on the left side. The last time it took about 6 months to completely heal and I had occasional flareups of pain. The best thing you can do is constantly move your arm with windmills and such to break down the scar tissue formation that has a lot to do with discomfort.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 09-23-11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 03:48 PM
longjohns
Noob.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
when i first broke mine, my coach (i was playing football) told me it was just dislocated and had me do windmills to pop it back in. didnt work.
Old 09-23-11, 03:49 PM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I've broken mine 3 times. Once on the right side and twice on the left side. The last time it took about 6 months to completely heal and I had occasional flareups of pain. The best thing you can do is constantly move you arm with windmills and such to break down the scar tissue formation that has a lot to do with discomfort.
+1
Old 09-24-11, 12:48 AM
kyttyra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My broken collarbone developed a pseudoarthrosis. It needed a surgery in which a bone implant was taken from my hip and the whole mess was bolted together with some pieces of ti. Those had to be removed in another surgery - before due time because I had another accident in which half of the bolts which kept the pieces of bone together were ripped free. Fortunately the collarbone was already ossified when that happened and did not break again. The whole thing took almost two years to heal completely, and now all that remains are a scar in my shoulder and some dead nerves where the bone implant was taken.

Fortunately the public health care in Finland was/is mostly free.

Last edited by kyttyra; 09-24-11 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-24-11, 07:45 AM
Dcv

Bikes: Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyttyra
- before due time because I had another accident in which half of the bolts which kept the pieces of bone together were ripped free.
Wow that sucks, 2 yrs is a long time.

Thanks all for the responses, sounds like it will just take more time to heal. Guess the biggest risk is crashing again while it's still healing.
Old 09-24-11, 09:01 AM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I broke mine mid july, and im completely back to normal. I march with a sousaphone on that shoulder almost every day too...
Old 09-24-11, 09:14 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In my experience if you don't see a callous forming yet, it's probably not going to heal without surgery. I've broken collarbone three times that I can remember but doctor saw evidence of a previous fracture on the left one so maybe 4 times. I have one non-union.
Old 09-24-11, 12:59 PM
merlin55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
single break in my clavicle, it didn't heal....after a couple of months I'm told the broken ends have healed shut and are unlikely to fuse together. Had surgery at 4 months, they jab the healed ends of the bone, smear a little bone epoxy (removed from inside your hip bone) and then line up the pieces and screw it together with 7 dry wall screws and small metal plate. After a month I was back on the bike and it was good as new. Next time I will have the surgery ASAP.
Old 09-24-11, 05:19 PM
Kinkikowboi

Bikes: Iro Mark V

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broke mine during football at the beginning of finals week. Took 3 months of summer and a month of the next school year to heal completely. Bones fused together, if you look at my shoulder, it looks pointed haha.
Old 09-27-11, 02:05 PM
jerknextdoor

Bikes: Kazane frame, soma fork, fusion-dt-phil, nitto rb-002.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
broke mine back in february. I was back on my bike about 5 or 6 weeks later, seemed okay at the time. but I wonder if that's why I had problems for a few more months. I reinjured it at the end of July, bad news. It's stiff, not really painful anymore. I don't have 100% motion, but I think it's slowly coming back.