Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

How to fit bar ends to my hybrid

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-25-11, 09:52 AM
mh1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Raleigh Urban 2 2011 which is a hybrid bike. I have only just got it and I want to fit my bar ends to it, they are Tioga Power Stud 6 Bar ends - Silver

I'm not sure how to fit them at the moment. Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide to fitting please. Also, should I fit them at the ends or in the middle, I would really appreciate it if you could take into account the position of my gear mechanism on the handlebars as it's all confusing me!

Thanks
Old 09-25-11, 12:27 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Instructions from Bontrager;

"To install bar-ends
1. Make room on the handlebar for the bar-ends.

Remove the grips, slide the controls, and reinstall the grips. If necessary, install new grips with open ends.
2. Remove any oil, grease, or dirt from the handlebar.

For carbon bars, clean with rubbing alcohol and a shop rag; clean until the rag shows no discoloration.
3. Slide the bar-ends onto the handlebar and set the angle position.

4. Install handlebar plugs.

5. Follow the Inspection procedures and tighten the handlebar clamp bolts."

To this I would add;

1) to slide the shift and brake controls you must first find and loosen the bolts that hold them tight. Retighten after repositioning.

2) If your grips are not open ended you can cut a hole in them by hitting the ends with a hammer before you remove them from the bars as demonstrated in this video.

3) To remove grips without compressed air, slide a screwdriver between the grip and handlebar and squirt some liquid soap down the shaft of the screwdriver. Slide the screwdriver in and out a couple times to get the soap all the way in. Remove screwdriver then twist grip gently to spread the soap around until the grip can be easily slipped off. Clean soap off before reinstalling, leave grip wet so it will slide on. Let dry before using, at least overnight. 24 hours might be better.

If you have compressed air, see linked video.
Old 09-25-11, 08:41 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Might want to post up a photo of your bike, that would help us see if there's anything different than the normal proceedure to put bar ends on the handlebars, FYI.

Old 09-28-11, 09:44 AM
ScottieDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i tried to put my bar ends on the insides of my gears/brakes, that was the plan when I ordered them - Wouldn´t fit there because of the angle of the bar at the right position and the angle of the bar end against it. Anyway, I put them onto the ends as per normal in the end and very happy with them being there in that position, although I did think originally that I personally would be more comfortable with them in the middle, I now think otherwise.

One point. Be very careful when doing them up as they dont take much to tighten. Use a torque wrench if possible, and if not possible be very very careful, probably only 6/7nm which is not much at all.

OH. A picture is always worthwhile :-) We all love pictures.

Last edited by ScottieDog; 09-28-11 at 09:45 AM. Reason: addition of text, picture is worthwhile.