Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Warning, "Java Update" re-direct by unknown 3rd party

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 07-27-14, 06:53 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts

Just a heads-up that any request to update your Java files is not coming from your computer, but is a presumptive/fraudulent 3rd-party re-direct seemingly being allowed by Bike Forums. I have no idea what this 3rd party is up to, other than they are requesting unlimited access to my computer's hard drive.

I'm pretty pissed, in that I may have already fallen for this, meaning that my computer's security really cannot be considered secure anymore.
Old 07-27-14, 10:04 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
It is not just BF. I use Firefox for just about everything but work. Have not seen it. However I opened Exploder for something and got the same message. Did not fall for it but it sure was persistent when I was trying to close it out.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-27-14, 11:51 PM
Uncle Randy

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour, Fuji Newest 2.0, Fausto Coppi Torino,Bridgestone RB-2, CB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It came from websitecom.us

I got the pop up a few times last week. My Avast antivirus blocked it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
java installer 1.JPG (18.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
java installer2.JPG (27.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-28-14, 04:23 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
This belongs in it's correct forum, Forum Suggestions and User assistance...Forum Suggestions & User Assistance IF it originated from Bike Forums. Off-site malware issues are not a topic in this forum or BF's responsibility, however, you should at least ask a moderator or administrator about it if you think if came from something on BF (the site cannot prevent these things 100% by design as they may be part of the ad package we get here) If you do get something like this see if you can copy the URL and paste it into your restricted sites list/blacklist/blocked sites from another page, THEN close out with Task Manager or similar, open a new browser window and clear your temporary files and start over.

Consult your computer professional about the incident now. You can probably reverse any damage.

As always, one way to prevent any malicious ad payloads is to become a paid subscriber (such as Titanium Club), which makes you ad-free at sign-in. When you do, try not to browse too much without being signed in, if that is what concerns you.
Old 07-28-14, 08:23 AM
Uncle Randy

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour, Fuji Newest 2.0, Fausto Coppi Torino,Bridgestone RB-2, CB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
This belongs in it's correct forum, Forum Suggestions and User assistance...Forum Suggestions & User Assistance IF it originated from Bike Forums. Off-site malware issues are not a topic in this forum or BF's responsibility, however, you should at least ask a moderator or administrator about it if you think if came from something on BF (the site cannot prevent these things 100% by design as they may be part of the ad package we get here) If you do get something like this see if you can copy the URL and paste it into your restricted sites list/blacklist/blocked sites from another page, THEN close out with Task Manager or similar, open a new browser window and clear your temporary files and start over.

Consult your computer professional about the incident now. You can probably reverse any damage.

As always, one way to prevent any malicious ad payloads is to become a paid subscriber (such as Titanium Club), which makes you ad-free at sign-in. When you do, try not to browse too much without being signed in, if that is what concerns you.
It happened while I was logged on to BF and it happened on at least 3 occasions. I need to send money for a subscription to prevent any more malicious ad payloads.
Old 07-28-14, 02:24 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Go into your task manager when that little popup is actibve with the installer and you can see the -rocess and filename. Kill the process and delete that file from your registry. It'll stand out in that it won't have a filepath trailing it after the .dll or .exe or .tzz or .tar or.zip

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-28-14, 04:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It's a great thing, but try Tom's advise first, then do whatever.

PS Java Update doesn't care if you pay BF, it's just there for the party. Use the Report this website menu option or enable more security features if you are comfortable with that. And keep the questions coming. There are no stupid questions, only stupid missed opportunities.
Old 07-28-14, 04:50 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
It is not just BF. I use Firefox for just about everything but work. Have not seen it. However I opened Exploder for something and got the same message. Did not fall for it but it sure was persistent when I was trying to close it out.
Same here. I use Windows 8.1 and Firefox is my primary browser, then Chrome and one of its clones (Comodo Dragon) and I don't experience this on any site. However, as soon as I launch IE11- and it opens to the default homepage MSN- the Java Updater starts throwing a royal fit.
Old 07-29-14, 03:59 PM
colinc123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Randy
I got the pop up a few times last week. My Avast antivirus blocked it.

By any chance, do you remember which URLs were you browsing when these pop-ups happened?
Which browser were you using?
Thank you
Old 07-29-14, 08:00 PM
Uncle Randy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colinc123
By any chance, do you remember which URLs were you browsing when these pop-ups happened?
Which browser were you using?
Thank you
I was browsing the CV section, Colin. Websitecom.us is registered to a Lily Lee in Rome, Italy. Domain name points to 54.183.112.80 hosted by Amazon.
https://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...=websitecom.us
Old 07-31-14, 04:52 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Tech was not able to find anything amiss with BF itself, FYI.