Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Greg Lemond, Greatest Ever?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Greg Lemond, Greatest Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 12:43 PM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lemond was great but he's not on the same level as Merckx.
Old 08-06-15, 01:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Merckx was something else. 5 Tours. Won the yellow, green and polka dotted jersey in one Tour. And the only reason he didn't win the white young rider's jersey is that it didn't exist yet. He won both the Giro and Tour in one year and also either the hour record or the World Championship (I forget which). All 5 monuments. Multiple six day races. We talk about Lemond's hunting accident but Merckx's track accident was also not a joke. (Killed his coach who was riding the derny he was following.) Cause him pain for the rest of his career I believe.

Ben
Old 08-06-15, 03:56 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bikegolfer
Hi everyone. I am only 17, but have admired Greg Lemond for as long as I have known cycling. I have become more and more fascinated by his story as I have grown older and would definitely call him one of my heroes. He overcame so much as a kid that I could never understand, became the first and now only American to win Le Tour, and has stuck up for what he believes in even in the face of threats and ostracization from the cycling community. Is anyone else here a big fan of Greg? If so, why? What's your story?
Greg Lemond fan? Definitely not!!!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-06-15, 05:26 PM
bikegolfer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Granted, he does give off a hollier than thou attitude sometimes, but I am starting to think that it is like that with all pro cyclists. The only elite rider that I know of that showed a little humility was Cadel Evans, but again, my age limits my experience and Armstrong has really left a stigma on pros for my generation
Old 08-06-15, 05:58 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Cycling is unique among sports in that there is no debate as to who was the greatest ever. Merckx's record is staggering. It is unassailable. It will stand until the end of time.

Lemond is one of the greats. Anyone who wins a race as brutal as Le Tour is in that category. Even once. Lemond also demonstrated phenominal raw talent right out of the gate. He was winning races as soon as he put a leg over a bike. That has to be considered.

But for me, his bravery after retirement is what makes him special. Despite it destroying his businesses and almost his reputation, he went up against powerful forces to call out the dopers and cheaters. This will be his most positive and lasting legacy.
Old 08-06-15, 06:18 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As far as physical talent, I think he stands head and shoulders above other American cyclists. Mentally, I don't view him as being as headstrong as Lance.
Old 08-06-15, 07:59 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Have you read Slaying The Badger?
Read this and watched the 30 for 30 on ESPN documentary on him. Was actually huge fan until I saw the film He was so arrogant in the film I thought. Film didn't put him in the best of light I don't think. Was a great film though. However most super athletes have a bit of an ego.

Still great rider but not the best, top 10 for sure though.

Mr. Merckx is still probably my favorite.
Old 08-07-15, 12:08 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I don't know about greatest, but for me, a 60 YO plus recreational/fitness cyclist I found LeMond very inspirational in his TdF years. I still have a VCR tape of his time trial that gave him the GC victory in 89.

scott s.
Old 08-07-15, 12:41 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Racing was different in the Coppi era from Eddy's, and the Merckx era was different from LeMond's, so it's hard to say who is greatest. I don't care for LeMond's public opinionating (is that a word?), but I worked with a former Tour rider from that time, and he said that when Gregg and Bernard were going at it, the rest of the peloton was barely hanging on. The two best riders on the planet, attacking each other and pushing themselves to the limit. Not for hours, but for days.

Last edited by venturi95; 08-07-15 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-07-15, 01:47 AM
Lil Bear

Bikes: '02 Kona Lava Dome, '15 Origami Crane8... the rest are top secret :)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
IMHO, absolutely. They were all doing it, and probable still are doing something. The difference is that Armstrong had the stones (perhaps from his own arrogance) to fess up to how he got there when he was done racing.
Lance lied his a$$ off until the evidence was piled so high he couldn't see a way out. And I think you meant "stone."

Greg LeMond was an inspiration to me, and a great cyclist. Greatest ever? Probably not, but definately great.
Old 08-07-15, 02:26 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
IMHO, absolutely. They were all doing it, and probable still are doing something. The difference is that Armstrong had the stones (perhaps from his own arrogance) to fess up to how he got there when he was done racing.
LOL !
Armstrong was dragged kicking and screaming into "confessing". It was known for a LOOOONG time he was doping, but he denied & denied, until the evidence was so great he couldn't deny any more.

He would have got away with much less penalty & scrutiny if he had not tried, and sometimes succeeded in destroying everyone involved discussing the truth of doping.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-07-15 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-07-15, 02:33 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
A strong argument in my mind that LeMond was clean, is the way he and Hampsten started getting dropped by lesser riders as EPO swept through the peloton. If LeMond was on EPO, or anything "good" he would not have gone from Tour winner, to "also-ran" in such a short time.
LeMond said his training numbers in following years were as good as ever, but he found he suddenly could not keep up, and didn't understand what was going on.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-07-15, 02:56 AM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
There is simply no doubt that the greatest road racer of all time is Merckx. No one else so thoroughly dominated his era -- who else swept the grand tours, the classics, the hour record, the world championships, and a slew of track races? During his best years ('69 - '73) he had win rates from 33 - 45%; I can't even think of an athlete in any sport who had win rates like that. Christ, just look at his portfolio of records:

Most career victories by a professional cyclist: 525.
Most stage victories in the Tour de France: 34.
Most stage victories in one Tour de France: 8, in 1970 and 1974 (shared with Charles Pélissier in 1930 and Freddy Maertens in 1976).
Most days with the yellow jersey in the Tour de France: 96.
The only cyclist to have won the general classification, points classification and mountains classification in the same Tour de France (1969).
Most victories in classics: 28.
Most victories in one single classic: 7 (in Milan–San Remo).
Most victories in Grand Tours: 11

Seriously, who else even comes close?
Old 08-07-15, 05:45 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jacques Anquetil , 5 times tour winner : you can not win the tour on mineral water alone . Greg Lemond beated Fingon ( confessed doper ) on the tour . Come clean with us and I will have more respect for him .
Old 08-07-15, 06:58 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
LOL !
Armstrong was dragged kicking and screaming into "confessing". It was known for a LOOOONG time he was doping, but he denied & denied, until the evidence was so great he couldn't deny any more.

He would have got away with much less penalty & scrutiny if he had not tried, and sometimes succeeded in destroying everyone involved discussing the truth of doping.
No doubt LA, is......... I don't even have words for him. I'm well aware of that. But the hyper competitive world of top level cycling (and really any sport) selects for that very trait. So no surprise. He is what he is, but he did finally admit it. Highly pressured yes. But also, a great many more cyclist have been caught and still denied they were doping. NO different from LA. I think some of you are seeing my statements as excusing LA. Hardly! I personally think he is lowlife. If you didn't think there was rampant cheating, including LA, well I guess you don't understand the nature of people. PR or not, his recovery and winning (against all the other doppers) is still a great story that can be beneficial to others, especially those that are in dark medical situations. The later is what I give him credit for, and the fact that he was able to overcome near certain death. Does not make him so sort of idol. Just someone that beat long odds, and to show that it can happen. Again, PR or not does not matter if someone close to you is in a bad way. Nor do I care about the details.

Good riding.
Old 08-07-15, 11:05 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
No doubt LA, is......... I don't even have words for him.
Then please just let the memory of him fade into the oblivion it so richly deserves.
Old 08-07-15, 11:24 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Read this and watched the 30 for 30 on ESPN documentary on him. Was actually huge fan until I saw the film He was so arrogant in the film I thought. Film didn't put him in the best of light I don't think. Was a great film though. However most super athletes have a bit of an ego.

Still great rider but not the best, top 10 for sure though.

Mr. Merckx is still probably my favorite.
Don't forget that the 30 for 30 was told from an American perspective. Yeah, Hinault was arrogant. Most of the great ones were or are.
Old 08-07-15, 11:28 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mapeiboy
Jacques Anquetil , 5 times tour winner : you can not win the tour on mineral water alone . Greg Lemond beated Fingon ( confessed doper ) on the tour . Come clean with us and I will have more respect for him .
You obviously have no understanding of the different performing enhancing effects of amphetamines as compared to oxygen vector doping via EPO or transfusions. Amphetamines never helped any rider go from domestique to GC contender. Fignon was actually self-medicating himself during a couple of his frequent bouts with depression. He admitted how stupid it was in his autobiography, as amphetamines are one of the easiest substances to detect.
Old 08-07-15, 11:40 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Oh, you mean after he tried to ruin the lives of anyone who tried to speak the truth and wouldn't go along with his lies?
Old 08-07-15, 11:43 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by 09box
Lemond was great but he's not on the same level as Merckx.
I might agree but, then again, no one else was either. But, had he not been shot and had he not given up his chances to allow Bernard Hinault to win his 5th tour he might have won 6 TdFs. We will never know.
Old 08-07-15, 11:48 AM
bruce19

I have heard some people say that LeMond was also doping. Is there any evidence of that? I've never seen any but if there is some I'd like to know. Might change my opinion of him.
Old 08-07-15, 12:08 PM
quicktrigger

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Oh, you mean after he tried to ruin the lives of anyone who tried to speak the truth and wouldn't go along with his lies?
Yeah he did. So have allot of others. LeMond was hired onto "The Beaver's" team, to keep him from riding for someone else, and then was double crossed. LA was no different than the rest. Elite competition in sports selects for that kind of behavior.
Old 08-07-15, 01:06 PM
bruce19

Yeah he did. So have allot of others. LeMond was hired onto "The Beaver's" team, to keep him from riding for someone else, and then was double crossed. LA was no different than the rest. Elite competition in sports selects for that kind of behavior.
He was very different in that he was a "hero" having "won" the TdF 7 times. He was an American icon and an inspiration to those who have had to battle adversity to go forward. Now he is just another cheat. But, even worse, a cheat who would stop at nothing to damage others. And, not just by trying to diminish their reputations. He went out to destroy them financially and personally. Aside from any talent he may have had in his sport of choice, and I would argue he had tons, he is a despicable human being. If others were as despicable, OK they were too. But, not all were. If you think by definition that all the greats were, then screw Eddie Merckx and the rest too. If you think about what it means to someone's life to be attacked by a person of means and the hell it raises with you and your family, it's easy to see that the guy is selfish, vindictive and a narcissist.
Old 08-07-15, 02:07 PM
quicktrigger

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
He was very different in that he was a "hero" having "won" the TdF 7 times. He was an American icon and an inspiration to those who have had to battle adversity to go forward. Now he is just another cheat. But, even worse, a cheat who would stop at nothing to damage others. And, not just by trying to diminish their reputations. He went out to destroy them financially and personally. Aside from any talent he may have had in his sport of choice, and I would argue he had tons, he is a despicable human being. If others were as despicable, OK they were too. But, not all were. If you think by definition that all the greats were, then screw Eddie Merckx and the rest too. If you think about what it means to someone's life to be attacked by a person of means and the hell it raises with you and your family, it's easy to see that the guy is selfish, vindictive and a narcissist.
Read my other posts. Yes LA is a lowlife and that is cruel to the lowlife's. No disagreement on that. However he still went from near certain death, to the top of his world. No easy feat no matter how you get there. That is still of value to those who are in a seemingly hopeless spot. How you choose to rise is about you. Again, anything that is so hyper competitive selects for those behaviors. Therefore those that see the winners as hero's, it's more about the idolizers than the "hero's" IMHO. One must be care who you trust.

FTR, I have been on the wrong end of the relatively powerful. I have also been in highly highly competitive science fields. Same things happen there. I have seen truly horrible crap pulled. I simply see them for what they are, and never moved them from that position. Sure there are some benevolent great ones, but nearly all fall somewhere between, and heavy on the bottom.
Old 08-07-15, 03:07 PM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
The thing you have to remember about doping is that the drugs don't ride the race for you. They may enhance your performance and give you a competitive edge, but they don't push the pedals for you. Very few people have the physical assets to average 25mph over varied terrain for 6+ hrs at a shot, day after day for three weeks. All the EPO in the world isn't going to turn an average rider into a TdF winner -- no amount of chemical enhancement will make up for the lack of a world class physique. The point being, even though doping is cheating, even the worst dopers still had to ride the race at an extraordinarily high level to win.

This is why I still think Armstrong's 7 TdF wins are worthy of respect. There is no question that the guy is a rapacious, egomaniacal, arrogant butt weasel, and that he did some truly unconscionable things to others. Nevertheless, EPO be damned, he did have the physical and mental assets to cross the line first. Would some random domestique, given the same drugs, have been able to win those races? Not a chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.