Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Keys fell out of saddle bag

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Keys fell out of saddle bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 10:15 AM
ggpepper

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts
Just ordered one of these for my Hamilton's 2nd bottle cage. I think it will help with the lost small item problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cage_rocket_sku01_anatomy.jpg (66.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-13-15, 11:31 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Following two friends on a long bike ride, when one got a cell phone call.

He reached into a back pocket and pulled out the phone.

Out came a sandwich bag that fell to the road.

He answered the phone, never noticed the falling bag.

I picked it up. $250 cash, credit cards, DL.

10 miles later we made a rest stop.

I asked him if he could loan me $15 to get some food.

He seemed confused so I gave him the bag.

Not a Good Place to carry $$$
Heh, nice.

I lost about $200 in petty cash after a rest stop. I forgot to zip up my saddle bag and it fell out along the ride. I hopped in my car and cruised the route. Found it about two miles from the end, just sitting there in the road. Whew!

I'm sure keys are easier to find.
Old 09-13-15, 05:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
Heh, nice.

I lost about $200 in petty cash after a rest stop. I forgot to zip up my saddle bag and it fell out along the ride. I hopped in my car and cruised the route. Found it about two miles from the end, just sitting there in the road. Whew!

I'm sure keys are easier to find.
Not with the car.. you'd be walking or back on the bike.
Old 09-13-15, 05:50 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe HE would, but I have a spare key epoxied in a safe spot.
Old 09-13-15, 06:46 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Might be a great use for a body piercing.
Old 09-13-15, 06:54 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Eaton
Anti ear bud cyclists are the same as helmet mirror cyclists. If you don't agree with them you're an idiot and a menace to society...
Well said...same thing for handlebar mounted mirror cyclists. Like those who don't wear mirrors at all, they're all idiots since they don't wear eyeglass-mounted mirrors.

OP: I have a lockbox mounted next to my front door. If I drive somewhere to ride, I carry the remote in my pocket.
My mother has one of those too, with a combination lock from her phone number. Got me in the house once when no one was home. But when you write, "I carry the remote in my pocket." does that mean a remote control to open the lock box? In which case, couldn't you lose the remote?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-14-15 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-13-15, 09:06 PM
Bines

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Might be a great use for a body piercing.
This!
Old 09-14-15, 01:19 AM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Anti ear bud cyclists are the same as helmet mirror cyclists. If you don't agree with them you're an idiot and a menace to society.
Wouldn't go that far. But it does seem to me that if you're concerned about your physical safety the last thing you'd want to do would be to compromise your best defense against getting hit by another vehicle. Anything that reduces your situational awareness increases your risk. I find it hard to believe there's anything you can hear with earbuds that makes that risk worthwhile. Obviously YMMV.
Old 09-14-15, 04:36 AM
skycomag

Bikes: Nashbar trekking bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mini bag

I use this:Bicycle Bike Cycling Frame Pannier Saddle Front Tube Bag Both Side Double Pouch | eBay

they have a draw sting inside . this what I use for my keys and cell.
I got mine from geeks. they'll be cheaper . I use their app on my tablet. they'll come from china.
Old 09-14-15, 07:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
All bad indicators...

Originally Posted by waterfish_21
(1) bontrager saddle bag
(2) unnoticed....rip in the zipper...
(3) keys/wallet/ and tools inside it and after my 30 mile loop
(4) ride with my headphones on ...
Wallet - why?
Headphones - why?
Tools - why? Are you still adjusting the fit of your bike. Don't you maintain it regularly anyway?
Keys? Do you need to carry them? Single key instead?

I'd look for ways to carry less...

Also, I apologize in advance for ragging on Bontrager, but Trek's house brand wouldn't be my preference for anything. It ripped because you have a habit of overstuffing it, and then you don't notice when it's giving way? It didn't fail like carbon fiber, it failed gradually - more likely...
Old 09-14-15, 08:35 AM
Eaton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
But when you write, "I carry the remote in my pocket." does that mean a remote control to open the lock box? In which case, couldn't you lose the remote?
It's the remote for the car. The lockbox is a combo lock.
Old 09-14-15, 08:47 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Wallet - why?
Headphones - why?
Tools - why? Are you still adjusting the fit of your bike. Don't you maintain it regularly anyway?

Phil! People carry things for their own reasons, so "how" is more important for them than explaining "why".

For me, and OP may have completely different reasons but for example: in case I want to buy something, if I want to listen to music or ignore MUP "safety instructors", to fix or adjust things when necessary, and because I lock the house when leaving, respectively.
Old 09-14-15, 08:54 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Phil! People carry things for their own reasons, so "how" is more important for them than explaining "why".

For me, and OP may have completely different reasons but for example: in case I want to buy something, if I want to listen to music or ignore MUP "safety instructors", to fix or adjust things when necessary, and because I lock the house when leaving, respectively.
Because sometimes "why?" is the better question. If you want to buy something on your ride (and you'll be carrying it home), then you'll also prepare with a way to carry that thing on your bike. If it's just a food item (on a 30 mile loop?), then a thin credit card or a folded bill will do. One doesn't need the entire wallet.

I ask because the bag was overstuffed. Why so many precautions on a simple ride? That was my question.
Old 09-14-15, 08:57 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am kinda with Phil on this one.
People are ofc free to carry whatever they want but too many threads start with new riders asking advice on what to carry and next thing you know 10 people are telling them to carry everything but the kitchen sink because that's what they do.
Again, if those ten people can't leave home without medical id, drivers license, camelbak, tools, protein bars, first aid kit, $10 dollar bill, house keys, headphones, gps, bigfoot repellant, etc... thats all good and more power to them. But maybe they aren't the best folks to be dispensing advice to new riders on that particular subject?
Just sayin...
Old 09-14-15, 09:37 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by bakes1
I am kinda with Phil on this one.
People are ofc free to carry whatever they want but too many threads start with new riders asking advice on what to carry and next thing you know 10 people are telling them to carry everything but the kitchen sink because that's what they do.
Again, if those ten people can't leave home without medical id, drivers license, camelbak, tools, protein bars, first aid kit, $10 dollar bill, house keys, headphones, gps, bigfoot repellant, etc... thats all good and more power to them. But maybe they aren't the best folks to be dispensing advice to new riders on that particular subject?
Just sayin...
Well, they've probably given it more thought on how, and tried different methods of carting all that stuff.

If you ask me how to carry less stuff I'd tell you that what we tend to carry scales with whatever our cargo capacity is. Take some bags off, take the rack(s) off, and you'll quickly decide what's most important to have on the bike. Or vice versa, add bags or bucket or whatever and we'll probably wind up using them. To my mind the key is having the right amount of space to carry stuff we think we want, and what or why doesn't matter as much.
Old 09-14-15, 09:48 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, they've probably given it more thought on how, and tried different methods of carting all that stuff.

If you ask me how to carry less stuff I'd tell you that what we tend to carry scales with whatever our cargo capacity is. Take some bags off, take the rack(s) off, and you'll quickly decide what's most important to have on the bike. Or vice versa, add bags or bucket or whatever and we'll probably wind up using them. To my mind the key is having the right amount of space to carry stuff we think we want, and what or why doesn't matter as much.
I completely agree.
I just think most people(myself included occasionally)forget to be objective when dispensing this type of advise.
Old 09-14-15, 09:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
After having a back pack pocket picked, I wear a Money belt under my clothes , when I need security more than convenience.
Old 09-14-15, 09:56 AM
wphamilton

Because sometimes "why?" is the better question. If you want to buy something on your ride (and you'll be carrying it home), then you'll also prepare with a way to carry that thing on your bike. If it's just a food item (on a 30 mile loop?), then a thin credit card or a folded bill will do. One doesn't need the entire wallet.

I ask because the bag was overstuffed. Why so many precautions on a simple ride? That was my question.
To me it's logical for the seat bag to hold stuff that I don't use frequently. It's storage, that stays with the bike, and I can forget about it until I need it. So I don't go into it all the time, but it's always full.

OP uses it to also temporarily hold his personal items because he doesn't have pockets and that's reasonable IMO. I guess that's why it's overstuffed, you fill it with whatever and then your pocket stuff. He needs another separate, dedicated container, or at least a compartmentalized saddle bag.
Old 09-14-15, 02:22 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Jandd
Old 09-14-15, 09:51 PM
waterfish_21

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wallet - why?
Headphones - why?

Also, I apologize in advance for ragging on Bontrager, but Trek's house brand wouldn't be my preference for anything. It ripped because you have a habit of overstuffing it, and then you don't notice when it's giving way? It didn't fail like carbon fiber, it failed gradually - more likely...
I carry my bike pass in my wallet, too lazy to put it somewhere else, we need them here in Wisconsin. Also I never carry cash on me, haven't done so for 10 years, I guess I could put some cash in my bag or something. Headphones? well, that's a personal choice I guess, a dangerous one at that, but I'm on the bike trail 90% of the time, and take them off when I'm on the roads. Yes, I'm still making adjustments to fit my bike, I just got this bike and didn't get a proper fit in. Also tire tools in the case I need to change one. I keep my car inside my garage locked, so I carry my garage key with me, and my building key, and my room key. I guess I could put my other 2 keys inside my car and lock the garage... Also my 30 mile loop sometimes turns into 50-60 miles depending on the day and how I feel, so I always prepare for it.

As for the bontrager bag, it was the only brand the LBS carried so I bought it. Also it was not overstuffed, just over zipped over the summer and the zipper was damaged, similar to any other zipper on a jacket/lunch bag/backpack.

Thanks for all the replies, I found a new bag and a way to secure my keys with me.
Old 09-15-15, 09:01 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm still emotionally scarred from the time I lost my keys in 1989, so I feel your pain. The last 5 saddlebags I have owned have a clip for keys
I use a Transit seat bag, and it has a clip for keys. If I have to drive to a ride, I'll clip my car key to it.

GH
Old 09-15-15, 11:59 PM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
A conversation I've had a few times too many...

Roadmate: Hey Strange, whaddya packing all that stuff for? We're only going to be gone a coupla hours, you don't need all that crap.

Me: Mumble...whatever.

--- Exactly one hour and nineteen minutes later ---

Roadmate: Dude I just got a flat. Can I borrow your patch kit?

Me: You know I could've sworn someone was recently hassling me about carrying a bunch of 'stuff I wasn't going to need'...

Roadmate: C'mon man lemme borrow your patch kit okay?

Me: Grumble...

--- Five minutes later ---

Roadmate: Lemme borrow your cell phone, I gotta call my girlfriend and tell her I'll be late.

Me: You mean that cell phone you said I wasn't going to need...?

Roadmate: Quit being a dick and lend me your phone okay?

Me: Ggggrrr...

--- Later down the road at a store on the way ---

Roadmate: Hey man I don't have any cash, can I borrow some bucks?

Me: Yeah, on one condition. You have to let me take my Sharpie (which I did in fact bring along) and write 'I am an @$$hole' across your face.

Old 09-16-15, 08:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Wallet - why?
It seems to me that this would be self explanatory. It's a convenient place to carry money or the plastic that serves as money. I suppose if you are only riding close to home needing to pay for something is less important than if you are thousands of miles from home but, still, you never know.

It's a convenient place to carry an ID so that they can identify the body. Or if a police officer ask for your ID you can hand it over and not spend time in the back of his squad car as he tries to identify you.

Headphones - why?
This one I actually agree with but I hardly wear headphones at all.

Stuff happens. Again, if you can walk home perhaps tools are unimportant but I've had enough flats that I at least carry the tools...and they are tools...to fix a flat. But if you are thousands...or even only a few dozen miles...from home, tools come in handy.

If I'm carrying a lock (I don't always), I need a key for the lock. I need a key for my house. I need a key for my vehicle if I drive to a starting location. I don't know of anyone that makes a single key that opens my front door, opens the lock on my bike and starts my car. My key chain is also a convenient place to put my backup flashlight which I always carry after getting stuck on a mountain bike trail after dark without lights. Also included in my tool kit is a fire starter kit and cottonballs cover in Vaseline so that I don't have to spend a cold night on a mountain bike trail after dark.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-16-15, 12:32 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It's a convenient place to carry an ID so that they can identify the body. Or if a police officer ask for your ID you can hand it over and not spend time in the back of his squad car as he tries to identify you.

If I'm carrying a lock (I don't always), I need a key for the lock. I need a key for my house. I need a key for my vehicle if I drive to a starting location. I don't know of anyone that makes a single key that opens my front door, opens the lock on my bike and starts my car. My key chain is also a convenient place to put my backup flashlight which I always carry after getting stuck on a mountain bike trail after dark without lights.
On the ID, this isn't Russia, you're not required to have an ID. You are required to give them your correct name.

For the keys, if you drive, you can put your house key in the car. I can understand the need for a lock key and either the house key or the car key.

GH
Old 09-16-15, 01:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
On the ID, this isn't Russia, you're not required to have an ID. You are required to give them your correct name.
Twenty four states have laws that require some form of ID be presented when an officer asks for one. Almost all traffic stops...bicycles are vehicles...are called "Terry stops" since they fall under the 1968 Supreme Court Ruling in Terry v. Ohio. Failure to present ID can get you thrown in jail until such time as the authorities can determine your identity. You can refuse to present ID but the cops can detain you until they can identify you. Is a few grams really worth the time and effort of being hauled to court?

Originally Posted by ColaJacket
For the keys, if you drive, you can put your house key in the car. I can understand the need for a lock key and either the house key or the car key.

GH
I don't know about you but my keys are conveniently linked together. My house key is on the same ring as my car key. Yes, I could take the house key off and place it in my vehicle but honestly, I could take a swig of water and spit it on the ground and same more weight.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!