Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Any common issues about the 2017 Marlin 5 trek?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 08:10 PM
Waphles_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got a new bike (2017 Marlin 5 trek) so I can learn the ropes of mountain biking. I know that it is an entry level bike and I'm perfectly fine with that but I wanted to know if there were any common issues or components that would make a big difference if they were replaced.
Old 04-25-17, 10:24 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a 7 speed so id say the drivetrain before anything. If you really feel the need.
If youre new to the game just ride it and youll get the itch for everything tbh.
But imo drivetrain 1st.
Even just upping to 9spd would be huge but im sure 10spd would be about the same cost wise.
Then brakes, fork, wheels, headset....wanna spend more money? We can keep going....
Old 05-09-17, 10:06 PM
Fobbers

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have to say maybe upgrade your tires. I heard that the front suspension is not very good. I would possibly upgrade the front fork. New Saddle and hand grips if you don't like them. As for the drive train you can possibly just leave that alone until you do more research and get the feel of your bike. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 05-10-17, 09:33 AM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fork is alright for an entry level. 100mm with lockout. Yeah its spring loaded but were talking an entry level xc bike. If youre recommending the first thing he tackles is a new fork you may as well recommend a completely different bike.
Old 05-12-17, 01:17 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Honestly, the Marlin 6 is a lot better value--hydraulic brakes, better fork, 8sp drivetrain. Its not worth the money to upgrade a Marlin 5 very much. Remember that bicycle manufacturers can buy parts at drastically lower costs than even distributors, so wide-scale upgrades on new bikes are rarely most cost effective than simply buying a more expensive bike. Also, just keep on on the maintenance with the bike, by taking it into a shop regularly and/or learning to do your own work.

My main gripe with the bike is the brakes--but I don't think it's cost effective to replace them with hydraulic discs. You may find that you like the brake performance better with compressionless brake housing. Also getting the setup entirely dialed has a substantial effect. But there's nothing in particular about these bikes that's not reliable.

The only thing I'd strongly consider would be decent, metal pedals, and possibly some flat mountain bike shoes like 5.10s. If you ever replace your tires you can get considerably better performance with higher end tires, and can choose tread patterns that make sense for the conditions you ride in. If you don't find the stock seat comfortable, that also makes sense to replace
Old 05-13-17, 07:57 PM
dunelt_1954

Bikes: 3 Speeds, DIY Recumbent Trike, Sun Tomahawk

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second what cpach said about pedals and shoes. I just got a Marlin 5 last winter to try cross-country riding. Replacing the pedals with RaceFace Chesters, and getting a pair of 5.10s were the only things I have changed. I tried dual sided pedals with platform on one side and clipless pn the other, and found it way to cumbersome to get the right side up while learning to negotiate roots, berms, etc. Good flat pedals and shoes provided value to me. After only a couple hundred miles at most, the Marlin 5 seems like a good value. Maybe a bit heavy, but takes a lot of abuse and inept riding without trouble. If I really get into mountain biking, will consider something in a higher bicycle social strata, maybe a Giant Trance or somesuch. But, the Marlin is way better than I am at this point. Congratulations on the new bike.
Old 06-06-17, 03:15 PM
xsthomas302

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
The fork is alright for an entry level. 100mm with lockout. Yeah its spring loaded but were talking an entry level xc bike. If youre recommending the first thing he tackles is a new fork you may as well recommend a completely different bike.

Last year I bought a Giant Talon 27.5. If it has a Suntour fork. I just upgraded my fork, (as long as you are the original owner of the bike) Sr Suntour has a fork upgrade program to upgrade to a much better fork at a substantially reduced price. Many to choose from, depending on your budget.Worth looking into if you go that route. And you dont have to go through the trouble of sending them your old fork either.

Last edited by xsthomas302; 06-09-17 at 03:27 PM.