Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Update Przewalski Bike Shorts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 07:52 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts

I just went through my third pair of Przewalski Bike Shorts. I started with XXL, then XL and finally with L. I am now a full 5" below my actual waiste size on the maximum range of the L size chart.But these are right, you have to wear these shorts tight to get them to work.Once you get the sizing right they are fantastic, very good compression, little or no leg rise up and most of all the pad just about disappears. The extra compression shapes the pad and you do not even notice it. You get this along with a good fabric, very comfortable fit and a nice traditional look for $27.99. This has got to be the best value in Bike Shorts on the market. They are really nice.

If you go with Amazon Prime your returns, if necessary, are free. Which I had to do twice. But it is easy, simple and with a quick refund...Thanks,mjac

Last edited by mjac; 02-12-20 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 08:09 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
I've had really good luck with both their shorts and bibs.
Old 02-12-20, 08:14 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by KenCT
I've had really good luck with both their shorts and bibs.
I was a little disappointed until I got the size right. When I just got the L and took a ride they were fantastic. Then you look at the price of $27.99 for something of this quality that is unbelievable. I was so impressed with the quality and fit I had to write something. They are that good. But you have to get them tight...Thanks,mjac

Last edited by mjac; 02-12-20 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 08:25 PM
mjac

Oh, these are the Przewalski 4D Bike Shorts.
Old 02-13-20, 12:01 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
I am now a full 5" below my actual waiste size on the maximum range of the L size chart.
Price is tempting, but to be clear, you're saying you settled in a size that the chart would suggest is for a waist five inches smaller than yours?

According the chart, I could just fit in their largest size, but your experience would seem to suggest I get the XL.

But these are right, you have to wear these shorts tight to get them to work.
This I could believe. I've been doing much better on riding serious distances successive days this winter than I ever did in summer. Some of it is the certainly the reduced sweat and heat - but it occurred to me that part of the credit should maybe be to the fact that I've been wearing a pair of running tights over a chamois tights version of my usual chamois shorts. The two laters provide a lot more compression. More compression, presumably less rubbing on the saddle.

Anyone tried the chamois tights version?
Old 02-13-20, 12:13 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Do those shorts have a good pouch to keep our male stuff where it belongs? I'm always looking. Hate it when things travel down the leg opening. Happens on nearly all the shorts I've used. Segois are the big exception. Trouble is, I don't see them often. With other shorts, I often end up getting shorts that are really too small just to stop it. Sucks.

Thank,

Ben
Old 02-13-20, 02:37 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by UniChris
Price is tempting, but to be clear, you're saying you settled in a size that the chart would suggest is for a waist five inches smaller than yours?

According the chart, I could just fit in their largest size, but your experience would seem to suggest I get the XL.

This I could believe. I've been doing much better on riding serious distances successive days this winter than I ever did in summer. Some of it is the certainly the reduced sweat and heat - but it occurred to me that part of the credit should maybe be to the fact that I've been wearing a pair of running tights over a chamois tights version of my usual chamois shorts. The two laters provide a lot more compression. More compression, presumably less rubbing on the saddle.

Anyone tried the chamois tights version?
The price is not just tempting, it is amazing for this quality. These are not just compromise shorts,these are good shorts.

I am going to tell you my experience form someone with a 39" waiste who went through three sizes starting with XXL (33.1-37.1), to XL (31.5-35.5) and finally L (29.9-33.9) having had to return the XXL and the XL. The 33.9 of the maximum range of the L is 5" less then my measured waiste and that L is perfect. Use that to make your best choice as to what might work for you then when you get them use Amazon Prime to return them for free if you think you have to go up or down. But if you get them and they feel just a little loose, do not hesitate to try the next size smaller. The difference between the XXL and the L was like night and day. They have to be tight. Then they really work.

The he return policy for Amazon Prime works very well, absolutely no hassle,I must admit. You request a return on the website, they instantly EMail you a Holygram, you bring that and the shorts to a UPS Srore, they even package it for you, return ship it for free and the money is deposited into your bank account in 3-4 business days. It is that simple.

I have no experience with Chamois Tights...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-13-20, 02:48 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Do those shorts have a good pouch to keep our male stuff where it belongs? I'm always looking. Hate it when things travel down the leg opening. Happens on nearly all the shorts I've used. Segois are the big exception. Trouble is, I don't see them often. With other shorts, I often end up getting shorts that are really too small just to stop it. Sucks.

Thank,

Ben

79pmooney, as I have said, once you get the sizing right these shorts work. The compression shapes the chamois and you do not even notice it, comfort in all areas. I went 5" down in size to get the right fit for me. If you pick the wrong size, return them for free with Amazon Prime and go up or down. But you want them tight, not even a little loose. You can not go wrong. Give them a try and they are only $27.99. Best value in Bike Shorts I have ever seen...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-13-20, 02:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Oh, these are the Przewalski 4D Bike Shorts.
I sent the 4D back as the 3D are better feeling and functioning for myself. Max distance in a single day ride in them has been 130 miler so far. Will be riding them for one day X-Fl 167 miler in April. Just got another pair on Sunday.

Just had some hot oatmeal with pb/blueberries/cinnamon/allspice/banana/cashews/100% Cacao/nutmeg as breakfast for ride starting in a few hours. A 75 to 100 miler.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 02-13-20 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-13-20, 04:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, great shorts and the best value around in terms of bang for the buck. Both Przewalski and Spotti shorts and bibs, which appear to be from the same manufacturer but rebranded by distributors for the US market.

I have two pairs of Przewalski shorts with the original orange 3D Dupont CoolMax padding. This is thicker all over than most pads, and while the thickness varies -- thicker for the sit bones, thinner where it's less necessary -- the surface appears contiguous, not sculpted like many variable thickness pads. It has a smooth texture and shallow dimples like a golf ball. The pad material resists staining from butt butter or chamois cream (at most I'll occasionally use generic creams with zinc oxide and glycerin if I feel a hint of a rash, but usually ride dry), washes easily, yet wicks sweat better than any other pad I've worn.

It looks and feels like a diaper but is so comfy it disappears on the saddle. I never even think about it again once I'm riding. Can't say that about the real leather chamois I wore with wool shorts years ago, or the pads in Pearl Izumi, Black Bibs, Baleef or other shorts and bibs.

And it's very supportive of Frank and the Beans. I don't find myself needing to do any gardening to rearrange the undercarriage.

The newer 4D pad is usually two-toned (yellow and black on my Spotti bibs, yet the pad and inside of the bibs are labeled Przewalski), thickest for the sit bones, much thinner elsewhere but still very good -- although I still prefer the original orange 3D pad, especially for indoor trainer sessions. I tend to sit heavily in the saddle on the indoor trainer, so the extra padding helps. Even if I add standing to pedal every few minutes I still sit more heavily than I do on outdoor rides, especially when practicing high cadence drills. Outdoors I average 75 rpm and more weight is on my legs. Indoors I do 90-110 rpm cadence extended efforts, with occasional bursts to 160 rpm, with less resistance so I'm sitting heavily. The thicker pad is very comfy for those drills.

As mjac noted, if you want compression, buy a size smaller unless you're already at the upper range of the size. I'm 5'11", weigh around 152 lbs at the moment, with 29-30" waist. The size medium fits me just fine, but I wanted more compression for my thighs. Amazon had a pair of the P. shorts in small with the white banded leg hem for only $15, so I tried it. Perfect. Much nicer compression for my toothpick thighs, but not too tight in the waistband. If I still weighed 165 as I did a couple of years ago, the medium would probably be perfect, although most of my weight gain is upper body, not legs.
Old 02-13-20, 06:20 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I sent the 4D back as the 3D are better feeling and functioning for myself. Max distance in a single day ride in them has been 130 miler so far. Will be riding them for one day X-Fl 167 miler in April. Just got another pair on Sunday.

Just had some hot oatmeal with pb/blueberries/cinnamon/allspice/banana/cashews/100% Cacao/nutmeg as breakfast for ride starting in a few hours. A 75 to 100 miler.
No kidding. I got the 4D because "Canklecat" and other information stated the 4D had a lower profile then the 3D and that was my biggest complaint about Bike Shorts, the pad being too bulky. I guesse you can not make any assumptions. That is another thing besides the sizing that people can try. I would pick out a size and try it in the 3D and 4D, pick the one you like and send the other back for free with Amazon Prime. Might as well use it.

Oatmeal/Peanut Butter/blueberries/cinnamon/allspice/banana/cashews/100% Cacao/Nutmeg...What is that? How did you come up with that?...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-13-20, 06:26 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Thank,

Ben
"79mooney", I forgot to mention, contrary to popular opinion, I wear very thin light/medium Neleus Pro Compression Shorts under my Bike Shorts. I find it more comfortable and the pad gets soiled less so I don't have to wash the shorts after every short recreational ride...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-13-20, 06:49 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup, great shorts and the best value around in terms of bang for the buck. Both Przewalski and Spotti shorts and bibs, which appear to be from the same manufacturer but rebranded by distributors for the US market.

I have two pairs of Przewalski shorts with the original orange 3D Dupont CoolMax padding. This is thicker all over than most pads, and while the thickness varies -- thicker for the sit bones, thinner where it's less necessary -- the surface appears contiguous, not sculpted like many variable thickness pads. It has a smooth texture and shallow dimples like a golf ball. The pad material resists staining from butt butter or chamois cream (at most I'll occasionally use generic creams with zinc oxide and glycerin if I feel a hint of a rash, but usually ride dry), washes easily, yet wicks sweat better than any other pad I've worn.

It looks and feels like a diaper but is so comfy it disappears on the saddle. I never even think about it again once I'm riding. Can't say that about the real leather chamois I wore with wool shorts years ago, or the pads in Pearl Izumi, Black Bibs, Baleef or other shorts and bibs.

And it's very supportive of Frank and the Beans. I don't find myself needing to do any gardening to rearrange the undercarriage.

The newer 4D pad is usually two-toned (yellow and black on my Spotti bibs, yet the pad and inside of the bibs are labeled Przewalski), thickest for the sit bones, much thinner elsewhere but still very good -- although I still prefer the original orange 3D pad, especially for indoor trainer sessions. I tend to sit heavily in the saddle on the indoor trainer, so the extra padding helps. Even if I add standing to pedal every few minutes I still sit more heavily than I do on outdoor rides, especially when practicing high cadence drills. Outdoors I average 75 rpm and more weight is on my legs. Indoors I do 90-110 rpm cadence extended efforts, with occasional bursts to 160 rpm, with less resistance so I'm sitting heavily. The thicker pad is very comfy for those drills.

As mjac noted, if you want compression, buy a size smaller unless you're already at the upper range of the size. I'm 5'11", weigh around 152 lbs at the moment, with 29-30" waist. The size medium fits me just fine, but I wanted more compression for my thighs. Amazon had a pair of the P. shorts in small with the white banded leg hem for only $15, so I tried it. Perfect. Much nicer compression for my toothpick thighs, but not too tight in the waistband. If I still weighed 165 as I did a couple of years ago, the medium would probably be perfect, although most of my weight gain is upper body, not legs.
I yield to "Canklecat's" opinion because he is the one who originally recommended the Przewalski Bike Shorts to me and impressed me enough to give them a try after being very disappointed with Louis Garneau and Peral Izumi to the point I did not trust anything. He said the pad in the Przewalskis was better then Pearl Izumi and Black Bibs and that was my biggest complaint. That is what made me give them a try, reluctantly. But give them a try. You won't regret it. Just get the sizing right.

Of course he had to mention he has a 29" waiste after I divulged I have a 39" waiste.(A work in progress) This is something I will not forget....Thanks,mjac
Old 02-13-20, 09:33 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I purchased 2 pairs of Przewalski 3D shorts ($19.99 each on Amazon) last spring. I ordered small which according to the chart is for waste 30-32. At the time I was about 32.5 inches. I tried one pair on, they fit but for some reason I stuck both pairs in a drawer and basically forgot about them.

In mid November I started riding on my indoor trainer and within a few weeks I was on the trainer 5-7 days a week. So one day I decided to give these shorts a try mainly because I didn't have much else clean to wear. It took a few wearings for me to warm up to them but as of now they have become one of my favorites. I cannot prove it but this week I got out the second pair and I believe there is a break-in period with the pad.

I have other shorts that cost way more money and these are in my opinion good shorts. As I mentioned about the size, mine fit quite snug and I agree with others that the snugness is probably why I like them so much. Once I get everything adjusted, I can ride 50 miles with no moving or shifting. Granted this brand doesn't scream "I paid a lot for these" as in Pearls but if you want to have a collection of shorts that are inexpensive and really work, I would suggest giving these some consideration.
Old 02-13-20, 04:19 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I purchased 2 pairs of Przewalski 3D shorts ($19.99 each on Amazon) last spring. I ordered small which according to the chart is for waste 30-32. At the time I was about 32.5 inches. I tried one pair on, they fit but for some reason I stuck both pairs in a drawer and basically forgot about them.

In mid November I started riding on my indoor trainer and within a few weeks I was on the trainer 5-7 days a week. So one day I decided to give these shorts a try mainly because I didn't have much else clean to wear. It took a few wearings for me to warm up to them but as of now they have become one of my favorites. I cannot prove it but this week I got out the second pair and I believe there is a break-in period with the pad.

I have other shorts that cost way more money and these are in my opinion good shorts. As I mentioned about the size, mine fit quite snug and I agree with others that the snugness is probably why I like them so much. Once I get everything adjusted, I can ride 50 miles with no moving or shifting. Granted this brand doesn't scream "I paid a lot for these" as in Pearls but if you want to have a collection of shorts that are inexpensive and really work, I would suggest giving these some consideration.
I will be darned, the 3D sizing chart is different then the 4D sizing chart. I wonder why.Don't know much about the 3D but it seems Przewalski makes good products all the way around. Really good value for the money...thanks,mjac
Old 02-13-20, 05:45 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
I`ve been wearing a pair of their winter biking tights for two years.
I love them, and will be buying another pair.
Although, I will go one size larger. After numerous washing, they do shrink one size.
BUT, they sure are comfortable and warm!!!!!! Great padding in the seat!

Przewalski Men Bike Pants, Long Thermal 3D Padded Cycling Tights Leggings Brushed Fleece Breathable (New)Very warm
Old 02-13-20, 06:34 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
I`ve been wearing a pair of their winter biking tights for two years.
I love them, and will be buying another pair.
Although, I will go one size larger. After numerous washing, they do shrink one size.
BUT, they sure are comfortable and warm!!!!!! Great padding in the seat!

Przewalski Men Bike Pants, Long Thermal 3D Padded Cycling Tights Leggings Brushed Fleece Breathable (New)Very warm
Another vote for Przewalski Products, I wonder if people are starting to catch on. Just rode the 4D Bike Shorts two more times today and you literally forget you have Bike Shorts on and you forget there is a pad in the shorts. You have to get yourself some of these especially at this price...Thanks,mjac