Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Home dealers push second hand bike prices up

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Home dealers push second hand bike prices up

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 04:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
A point? Tell me more...
An infraction.
Old 04-17-20, 05:37 AM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
An infraction.
Oh so like a ban...
Old 04-17-20, 05:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
A point? Tell me more...
https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...ad-please.html
Old 04-17-20, 06:34 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
>>> i would push this to say that any conception of reality that can logically conclude that there is an artificially enhanced 2nd hand bicycle market populated by elderly profiteers is sorely in need of an intervention
How is this different from what we used to call "flippers?" Here in Ann Arbor some flippers were good and others were not, and among the worst were some retailers. Among the best were a few BF members whom I haven't seen here for quite a while. If a flipper also receives a pension, what makes that wrong? How is it any different from a pensioner taking on some consulting work to supplement pension and government income?

Intervention? Really? If a flipper adds real value (washes and waxes the frame, does minor de-rusting, bearing overhauls, trues the wheels, smooths rim dents, ensures sound braking, new tires/tubes) and sets pricing to contain those efforts, then there is no robbery or price gouging - tangible value is added. It's not illegal or underhanded to collect a used bike in the rural towns (barn finds), refurbish it, and sell it to a college student (well, we don't have those in-town so much any more) for less than half the price of a decent utility bike at the LBS. Competing with these better ones were some LBSs who did not deliver a sound, serviceable bike.
Old 04-17-20, 06:56 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Buying something and then selling it for more money.

Pretty sneaky. Thank goodness we don’t have businesses set up around this model.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-17-20, 07:10 AM
krecik

Sounds like a police state...
Old 04-17-20, 07:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
'Course, if they enforced this clause from those rules, we wouldn't have had this thread's original post:

Intelligence
We’re a community with quality standards and expect our members will make a sincere effort to contribute their thoughts on interesting subjects in a meaningful and respectful manner. Posting messages and otherwise interacting on BikeForums is completely optional; many members often prefer to just read what others have to say. But if you do post, we expect that you’ll be respectful of the time of others by posting meaningfully.
Old 04-17-20, 08:16 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Their forum, their rules.
Old 04-17-20, 08:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Yes, the rules you agreed to when signing up for the forum. Big surprise. It would be great if we could stop this line of discussion. We do have rules, we do enforce them. Most people don't have any problem staying within the rules and never find out about us enforcing them.

Just checked the local craigslist, if there are any flippers they are real bottom feeders. Not much other than junk. One very small Centurion Ironman, which is a reasonably good bike. But I'm pretty sure that's from the original owner.
Old 04-17-20, 08:53 AM
krecik

Originally Posted by dedhed
Their forum, their rules.
I actually agree with this but it seems like today that depends on the rules in question. If someone decided to make a pro-free speech forum with minimal moderation and a clear warning that anyone who decides to use it risks being offended, it would probably be taken down for promoting hate speech. What happens to "their forum, their rules" then?
Old 04-17-20, 11:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Don't worry, that has been tried and they all end up dominated by hate speech. And they have a real hard time finding hosting.
Old 04-17-20, 01:10 PM
krecik

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Don't worry, that has been tried and they all end up dominated by hate speech. And they have a real hard time finding hosting.
Not that I worry per se, I was just pointing out that that argument seems really one sided. Any further discussion of this is pointless anyway because it's not like I'm out to break the rules or to encourage doing so.I think they protect orderly discussion on the forum for the most part. I read through the guidelines and my only criticism is that they sound as if they were written by my boss or the HR department at work. We don't have to be here you know? Everyone that attends the forum does so out of their own courtesy and free time. A little more courtesy on their part would be nice. I would prefer if mutual respect was asked and not demanded of me.
Old 04-17-20, 02:10 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I want to explain this, so some of those buying a second hand bike for the first time, understand that the prices the are asking are higher than they would be if you were buying from a genuine private seller. In some places they have a monopoly on the market, so all second hand bikes are expensive. Some people don't know how much is reasonable for second hand bikes.
I don’t understand if this is a comment or complaint. It’s not true that they were asking a higher price than would be otherwise… If that’s the price the public is willing to pay… then that’s the price it is. They are a genuine private seller. Is there is such a thing as a non-genuine private seller ? They don’t have to buy it. Like the others have said, said it’s capitalism.
Old 04-17-20, 02:23 PM
Happytrails1963

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
There are some people, often pensioners, who like to make a little extra money to supplement their pension. Some of these deal in second hand bikes. They read the local for sale pages often. When they see a bike cheap, they quickly pick it up. Some even get bikes from the trash. On some bikes they may swap parts. They then sell these bikes at higher prices.

So when an ordinary average person looks for a second hand bike, on the rare occasion they see a cheap bike, it is sold before they have a chance to buy it. The only bikes they can buy are these more expensive second hand bikes from the home dealers. Those who don't know, think these are normal prices for second hand bikes.

In places where you don't have these home dealers, you can find cheap bikes. Where you have these home dealers, second hand bikes are expensive.

Other home dealers do this with computers. In some places, it is impossible to buy a second hand computer at a reasonable price. Only those with little understanding of computers buy them.

Some car dealers also snap up cheap second hand cars for sale privately. Some also sell the worst cars from home, not at the dealership.
Notice there are 1 or 2 home dealers local to me doing this. Not that my local market is flush with that many bikes to begin with. I'm partial to the idea of buying a vintage steel frame bike but have come to realize I may have to go for a new bike.
Old 04-20-20, 11:23 AM
femike99

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So?

Originally Posted by alo
There are some people, often pensioners, who like to make a little extra money to supplement their pension. Some of these deal in second hand bikes. They read the local for sale pages often. When they see a bike cheap, they quickly pick it up. Some even get bikes from the trash. On some bikes they may swap parts. They then sell these bikes at higher prices.

So when an ordinary average person looks for a second hand bike, on the rare occasion they see a cheap bike, it is sold before they have a chance to buy it. The only bikes they can buy are these more expensive second hand bikes from the home dealers. Those who don't know, think these are normal prices for second hand bikes.

In places where you don't have these home dealers, you can find cheap bikes. Where you have these home dealers, second hand bikes are expensive.

Other home dealers do this with computers. In some places, it is impossible to buy a second hand computer at a reasonable price. Only those with little understanding of computers buy them.

Some car dealers also snap up cheap second hand cars for sale privately. Some also sell the worst cars from home, not at the dealership.
Not sure what's wrong with this. I've been doing this for 30 years and started before I retired. I do a bike or two per year.

What's "reasonable"? I spend the time and overhaul the bike usually with a new chain, cabling, re-greasing, new bar tape, etc. (and I've also done this with computers), and provide "after sale" service for free because most of the people who buy these 2nd hand need that reassurance.

There is no law being broken, nor have I had any problems. In addition, I've made several new friends.

How's this any different from The Pro's Closet whose been on eBay for at least 10 years and now through a website? They even advertise to buy your old bike to resell.
Old 04-20-20, 11:32 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
As someone soon to be 72, I think I found a new business only seniors can do. I'll buy something cheap, sell it for more and keep the profit. What a unique idea but why didn't someone think of that sooner?
4/20 is a day for you to turn your senior idea into a jack pot
Old 04-20-20, 11:38 AM
VS3

Bikes: Medici Pro Strada, Aventon Cordoba, Trek Verve2, State Bicycle Pardi Boi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well if I keep finding deals like I did 2 weeks ago, I may very well turn into a part time flipper.

The deal I am speaking of was a Medici Pro Strada that happen to come with some vintage Scott Superbrake calipers and pads. When I saw them I was like "yuck" because they weren't the original Campy SR's. But soon I discovered the calipers and pads alone are worth more than double the $200 I paid for whole bike. These Scott's are in the Bike Museum of America. Not to mention the Mavic 630 crankset and arms, Suntour Cyclone BH2200 hubs and Japanese Araya rims in front and back. I was blessed with a $200 mint and rideable bike that I can make over $600 on just from those 4 parts.

Old 04-20-20, 11:40 AM
Daytriker

Bikes: HP Velotechnik / Trident

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Flippers

I would think the bigger concern would be having your bike stolen & sold by flippers. Since when did recycling become a dirty word?
If someone doesn't want to pay the asking price there's always Walmart for a cheap bike. People buy & sell privately anyway & in the case of bikes some find it's more effort or time then they are willing to dedicate. Whether the sale is a one time occurrence or a Pensioner keeping his bills paid I think the original poster should focus more on being GREAT at what he does & winning customers from your reputation.
Old 04-20-20, 11:41 AM
Savi

Bikes: Rivendell : "Roadeo" "Sam Hillborne"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alo

Here is a nice twist : Second Life Bikes in Asbury Park, NJ is a non-profit bike shop. They train disadvantaged youth in bike mechanics. The kids can earn their own bike after putting in the required hours.
Second Life Bikes sells restored and tested bikes at a fair price while helping the community. They back what they sell.They are also a full service bike shop for all cycling needs short of selling brand new bikes. More communities should have a bike shop like this.
Old 04-20-20, 11:54 AM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
  • I've pretty much given up on Craigslist for finding anything. Sponsored racers: that is who you want to cultivate as a source of stuff. Each year, or when their sponsorship changes, a whole new turnover in one year-old gear.
I love Craigslist. If you are willing to put the time into searching, and do enough homework before the purchase, good deals can be found.
In my area there are as many delusional original owners listing their bike at near retail, as there are people trying to "make a buck" on a bike they might have fixed up.

It's the buyer's job to put in the effort to separate the junk from the gems - not the seller's.
If you aren't very technical or feel somebody's price might be way off, then I suggest using bicycle blue book as a starting point for negotiations.

Folks might argue the blue book is a bit low, but at least it can be used to bring somebody down out of the clouds and improve your chances of hammering out a deal.
If not, be patient and keep looking.
Old 04-20-20, 11:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Who among us has not dread the pounding on our door in the middle of the night.

From a moderator?!

Wimpiest police state ever.
Old 04-20-20, 11:57 AM
amishboy51

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

Okay, I realize this was beaten to death days ago, but as a senior/retiree/old fart myself, am I the only one puzzled at “pensioner”? I thought I was in Buckingham Palace, listening to Queen Elizabeth (who I would consider a pensioner, FWIW). Another thing: are we “pensioners,” if you will, not considered “ordinary average” people? Even if we also ride bikes?

Just sayin’.
Likes For amishboy51:
Old 04-20-20, 12:02 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

I can tell you (from partly meeting your description) that it is very hard to sell a used bicycle these days. 10 years ago I could find a road bike and sell it quickly for 300 dollars. Now (I live in San Francisco a very expensive city) most people on Craigslist want to spend 50 buck tops. If I keep a bike at 1/4 to 1/3rd original MSRP I will sit on it for months. It took me months to sell a female Specialized Crossroads.(a $500 MSRP bicycle). I asked $180 and wound up selling for $150. Winter is bad but Summer isn't much better. Nobody is getting rich doing this. Also electric bikes, scooters, ride share, scooter rental, single wheel and skateboards are all electrified and cutting into the used bike market. Another factor is some will not bother selling but just put it out with the trash. I find a few bikes this way. I have looked on the bicycle blue book and find their used prices ridiculously low. As if a bicycle is a throw away item. To me it is a long term investment which if maintained can last a lifetime.
Old 04-20-20, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by amishboy51
Okay, I realize this was beaten to death days ago, but as a senior/retiree/old fart myself, am I the only one puzzled at “pensioner”? I thought I was in Buckingham Palace, listening to Queen Elizabeth (who I would consider a pensioner, FWIW). Another thing: are we “pensioners,” if you will, not considered “ordinary average” people? Even if we also ride bikes?

Just sayin’.

Little known fact that the entire Social Security system is just a deep state plot by the government to finance the acquisition and hoarding of all the cheap bikes.

Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about.

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-20-20, 12:12 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
I too have been collecting old bikes and restoring (not flipping) them for resale or just to ride for a while. Maybe one in ten make any money and a big profit would be $50 to$80. When they leave my garage they usually have new tires , new bearings, new cables and pads, grips and even a saddle. That's easily $100 in parts!
I do it because I like doing it and people are always coming to me and asking for bikes. So much so, I generally do not advertise. There is a limit to what these people will pay and seems to be in the area of $250.
Last fall my wife decided on a new ebike to replace her perfectly maintained but well used 2015 Giant Sedona. I asked our local dealer to take it on consignment to see how he could do. I asked him not to go lower than $200 and a week later he called to say he got $300! Surprised the heck out of me.
Every old bike I save for others to enjoy makes me a "Better Boomer". This one shown was just picked up by a family member. She was thrilled as she had virtual input during the build in these pandemic times.

Saving the world, one bike at a time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.