Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

26" to 700c conversion thread.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

26" to 700c conversion thread.

Old 05-11-20, 08:29 AM
MrAwesome

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I understand; things just escalate so quickly. CL donor bike? C&V for sale thread? And do you have pics of the beast in question? I'm curious.
Yeah, it's been a struggle. I'm almost to the point of selling it and my other ancient MTB and buying a new one. I already have a SS/FG with 700c wheels...

Here it is in my messy garage.
Old 05-11-20, 08:37 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAwesome
Yeah, it's been a struggle. I'm almost to the point of selling it and my other ancient MTB and buying a new one. I already have a SS/FG with 700c wheels...

Here it is in my messy garage.

No no no keep keep keep! I'll post pics of mine later today. Once you get the frame all stripped down, you'll realized how light it is. These were the highest-end Trek steel tig-welded frames they made, and also probably the best gen of the Trek Single Tracks from 1990-1998. That 94-96 was really the sweet spot. Also, when built up, it handles great! What a great platform. Ditch that brick of a fork and go 700c rigid steel disk fork 1 1/8 threadless, which can be found.
Old 05-11-20, 09:28 AM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
No no no keep keep keep! I'll post pics of mine later today. Once you get the frame all stripped down, you'll realized how light it is. These were the highest-end Trek steel tig-welded frames they made, and also probably the best gen of the Trek Single Tracks from 1990-1998. That 94-96 was really the sweet spot. Also, when built up, it handles great! What a great platform. Ditch that brick of a fork and go 700c rigid steel disk fork 1 1/8 threadless, which can be found.
Hahaha, yes of course you're right. I had the fork off this weekend. It is a very light frame. I actually ordered a fork last night only to realize this morning that it will be too short to keep the angles correct, so I canceled the order. Maybe a 700c fork would keep the angles right. I have been searching and searching for a decent fork that won't break the bank; there are so many things to consider with brakes, wheel size and axle to crown length. I wasn't sure if a 700c fork would work. Maybe I'll take a closer look at those.
Old 05-11-20, 11:24 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 184 Posts
The cheapskate way to do it, maybe, is to find a decent donor bike.
Old 05-11-20, 04:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Hahaha, yes of course you're right. I had the fork off this weekend. It is a very light frame. I actually ordered a fork last night only to realize this morning that it will be too short to keep the angles correct, so I canceled the order. Maybe a 700c fork would keep the angles right. I have been searching and searching for a decent fork that won't break the bank; there are so many things to consider with brakes, wheel size and axle to crown length. I wasn't sure if a 700c fork would work. Maybe I'll take a closer look at those.
What Headpost said; find a donor bike from CL, as I was attempting to suggest in my last post. I do love my little 930.
Old 05-11-20, 04:54 PM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
What Headpost said; find a donor bike from CL, as I was attempting to suggest in my last post. I do love my little 930.
Apparently, I'm a little dull; I didn't catch that. I have been looking though. Nothing on CL that I could use. Ebay is too cluttered with new products from overseas to find anything. The fork I almost bought was only $80 and it looks nice and isn't too heavy. Too bad it won't work. I read a lot about these bikes and apparently the 970 had rigid forks. Maybe I should look for those. The few I've come across already have suspension forks though; they also weren't for sale. I don't want to settle for a junky fork that looks ugly and weighs as much as a boat anchor either, which makes it that much harder. I'll keep looking.

I had a steel bike back in the 90's and at the time, I kinda hated it, but it was all I could afford. Looking back, I wish I had kept it, because it would be perfect for this project and it already had a rigid fork. That is also part of the reason I got the 990.
Old 05-11-20, 07:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Apparently, I'm a little dull; I didn't catch that. I have been looking though. Nothing on CL that I could use. Ebay is too cluttered with new products from overseas to find anything. The fork I almost bought was only $80 and it looks nice and isn't too heavy. Too bad it won't work. I read a lot about these bikes and apparently the 970 had rigid forks. Maybe I should look for those. The few I've come across already have suspension forks though; they also weren't for sale. I don't want to settle for a junky fork that looks ugly and weighs as much as a boat anchor either, which makes it that much harder. I'll keep looking.

I had a steel bike back in the 90's and at the time, I kinda hated it, but it was all I could afford. Looking back, I wish I had kept it, because it would be perfect for this project and it already had a rigid fork. That is also part of the reason I got the 990.
950 thru 990 had the same frame/forks, so keep a lookout. Don't forget your local co-ops and C&V's for sale thread. You can also put an ISO post in CL. Dang it, IT CAN BE DONE!

ETA: What city & state are you in? I'm very extremely bored and will check CL for you, if that's okay. You just need a mid-'90s mtb. with a 1 1/8" steerer. How hard can it be?

Last edited by Korina; 05-11-20 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 10:05 PM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
950 thru 990 had the same frame/forks, so keep a lookout. Don't forget your local co-ops and C&V's for sale thread. You can also put an ISO post in CL. Dang it, IT CAN BE DONE!

ETA: What city & state are you in? I'm very extremely bored and will check CL for you, if that's okay. You just need a mid-'90s mtb. with a 1 1/8" steerer. How hard can it be?
Thanks for the offer. I live in Las Vegas, NV. Always happy to help with someones extreme boredom. I scoured Las Vegas and Los Angeles CL today, also eBay and the entire internet. I have been reading a lot about this stuff the past 2 days and I need a fork that will equal the approximate height of the suspension fork, so I don't change the geometry of the bike too much. For this bike that is approximately 435mm axle to crown. Turns out, that specific axle to crown length is very difficult to find. I have found a few new ones that are pretty close for not a ridiculous amount of money, but most of them are way too short or way too long or are road forks with only caliper brake mounts, etc. My order for the other fork has not been officially canceled so I don't want to order anything new until I hear back from Universal Cycles about my order. But once that happens, I will probably just buy one from an online retailer, so I can make sure I get one with the proper height.

In other news! I did a mock-up with the rear drop-out and the 700c wheel I have on my FG/SS bike and it fits perfectly with the 23mm tire and there is plenty of room to go wider. I almost bought a set of 26" wheels off CL today, but I think I am going to hold out for a 700c set instead.

If I can get the fork/wheels situation figured out, it will be a sweet ride.
Likes For MrAwesome:
Old 05-12-20, 09:39 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
In an effort to not start a new thread, has anyone done 26" to 650B on an old mtb? Seems like that would be a good compromise between 26" and 700C. I'm wondering if the brake adjustment is easier with the shorter 650B wheel?
Likes For shoota:
Old 05-12-20, 12:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by shoota
In an effort to not start a new thread, has anyone done 26" to 650B on an old mtb? Seems like that would be a good compromise between 26" and 700C. I'm wondering if the brake adjustment is easier with the shorter 650B wheel?
So many. You'll likely need longer reach brakes.
Old 05-12-20, 12:55 PM
shoota 

So many. You'll likely need longer reach brakes.
In the time a posted that and now, I managed to find a buddy with 650b wheels I could use to test fit. I think I got lucky with my frame and brakes

Likes For shoota:
Old 05-12-20, 01:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

In the time a posted that and now, I managed to find a buddy with 650b wheels I could use to test fit. I think I got lucky with my frame and brakes
Woo hoo! You really lucked out! You win.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-12-20, 01:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Thanks for the offer. I live in Las Vegas, NV. Always happy to help with someones extreme boredom. I scoured Las Vegas and Los Angeles CL today, also eBay and the entire internet. I have been reading a lot about this stuff the past 2 days and I need a fork that will equal the approximate height of the suspension fork, so I don't change the geometry of the bike too much. For this bike that is approximately 435mm axle to crown. Turns out, that specific axle to crown length is very difficult to find. I have found a few new ones that are pretty close for not a ridiculous amount of money, but most of them are way too short or way too long or are road forks with only caliper brake mounts, etc. My order for the other fork has not been officially canceled so I don't want to order anything new until I hear back from Universal Cycles about my order. But once that happens, I will probably just buy one from an online retailer, so I can make sure I get one with the proper height.

In other news! I did a mock-up with the rear drop-out and the 700c wheel I have on my FG/SS bike and it fits perfectly with the 23mm tire and there is plenty of room to go wider. I almost bought a set of 26" wheels off CL today, but I think I am going to hold out for a 700c set instead.

If I can get the fork/wheels situation figured out, it will be a sweet ride.
What about this guy? He's advertising parts, he may have something lying around. And is Crank and Grind still around?
Old 05-12-20, 01:07 PM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
What about this guy? He's advertising parts, he may have something lying around. And is Crank and Grind still around?
Wow, that's a good price for that stuff. I can check if he has other stuff. Thanks.

I still have everything for the original bike except for the seatpost, saddle and wheels (not all original, but original to me when I purchased the bike on eBay). I'll have to double check, but I think I still have the derailleurs too.
Old 05-12-20, 01:10 PM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I have also considered this option. Looks like it works pretty well too!
Old 05-12-20, 01:19 PM
shoota 

I have also considered this option. Looks like it works pretty well too!
I think I just got lucky. The same buddy I borrowed the wheels from couldn't get them to work on his 26" wheeled mtb.
Old 05-12-20, 01:23 PM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I think I just got lucky. The same buddy I borrowed the wheels from couldn't get them to work on his 26" wheeled mtb.
Wow, that is lucky. I have been thinking about doing this for a long time and my solution has always been to use disc brakes which is turning out to cause a bunch of other issues. However, they do make those extenders for canti and V-brakes. I can't remember what they are called, but they add another 3/4" or so more capacity, so you and your buddy should be able to make those brakes work with any wheel that is at least a 26". That is as long as you can find those extender things.

The bike looks good! Further inspiration for my project.
Old 05-15-20, 08:46 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Haha yes!!! I figured it was time for me to actually get some skin in the game, so here is my frame below, along with some weights, for any interested parties.

This is the Trek 990 triple butted frame, OXIII true temper tubing. Weight: 2077g / 4.58lbs for the 16" frame, which acts like a slightly larger size due to the longer top tube.

I'm going to go ahead and throw this one together again. When it is together it is a bit of a mix-master in appearance, but don't let that fool you - it is a superb ride!

Old 05-15-20, 08:58 PM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Haha yes!!! I figured it was time for me to actually get some skin in the game, so here is my frame below, along with some weights, for any interested parties.

This is the Trek 990 triple butted frame, OXIII true temper tubing. Weight: 2077g / 4.58lbs for the 16" frame, which acts like a slightly larger size due to the longer top tube.

I'm going to go ahead and throw this one together again. When it is together it is a bit of a mix-master in appearance, but don't let that fool you - it is a superb ride!

Very nice!
Old 05-16-20, 06:37 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Okay, so I decided to strip the frame + fork of my Trek 990 and do a 'gun blue' steel finish on the bike, with silver components. This bike is worth the time and work. It rode beautifully before, now it will look beautiful as well.

The paint already had plenty of scrapes and rust, so this will be a good chance to remove all the rust and start fresh.

This type of finish requires more maintenance than a usual paint job, but there is no way to mess it up, no such thing as 'scraping the paint', and if it needs refreshed, it will be as easy as a little steel wool, and it will be good as new.

I need to get all the way to raw steel, so I need to strip the already rough finish. At first I used 150 grit...was taking a while, then went down to something like 80 grit. Finally, I found that using a razor blade seemed to work pretty well and finished off the second half of the frame using that method. Slow going, but it worked, and no nasty chemicals.

My plan is to get it stripped down to raw steel, then use some 'Perma Blue', and then a product called 'Rust Prevention Magic', which was designed for period correct car restorations, to be used on unfinished steering/control arm components to keep them from rusting. It goes on invisible, and provides a bit of a protective shell the penetrates the pores/surface of the metal. I've got one raw bike I've used it on, and its been probably over two years since I did that bike, and the bike is nearly rust free. I don't ride it in storms and I don't live in a really humid environment, so I can get away with it. If you were to attempt something similar, YMMV.

I've done research on the clear powder coat over raw/blued steel, and what I have found out is that it has the most unbelievable, cool look...for a couple of years. Then, somehow rust finds its way underneath the powdercoat shell, and starts rusting from the inside. Therefore, I'm going with the higher maintenance finish that will be a breeze to repair.

Here was the progress today - got the frame about 80% stripped - lots of hand work. Just have to get the nooks and crannies, then finish off with 220 grit. Maybe tomorrow I will do some finish work and do the fork as well.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 05-16-20 at 06:42 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 05-16-20, 06:38 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

And where I am at now:

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 05-18-20, 08:15 AM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
And where I am at now:
That looks really good so far. I ordered some wheels and a fork. I have a few more misc. parts to get and then I can put mine together.
Old 05-18-20, 07:47 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

That looks really good so far. I ordered some wheels and a fork. I have a few more misc. parts to get and then I can put mine together.

Thanks! Got a little more detail work done yesterday, and removed the front derailleur cable hanger, as I will never use it.

Also, recently I found some bars that will eventually make their way to this bike -

https://alsrapidtransit.com/shop?ols...-bar-30&page=2

These bars will solve several problems I've come across with the build. First, they'll get the bars up to a more comfortable level since the headtube is so low. Biggest benefit (to me) is that they are made in USA. I'm trying to keep this build as American as possible. Plus, I've looked for alloy, mx style handlebars for months now and have been coming up empty handed. That these ones are wide and have the benefit of modern geometry is icing on the cake. I grew up riding bmx so the Trek will pay a bit of homage to that.

I'd love to get a custom wheelset made for the bike, but first things first. I need to keep working at it over time, which is sort of what makes this so much fun. Next up is finishing the frame and fork, and then fabricating a rear v-brake adapter. I just got word that the perma-blue for the frame shipped, so hopefully should be doing that soon!

More to come later!
Old 05-18-20, 07:58 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Welp, just found the stem I want for the build, key word being want!!!

Old 05-18-20, 08:38 PM
MrAwesome

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks! Got a little more detail work done yesterday, and removed the front derailleur cable hanger, as I will never use it.

Also, recently I found some bars that will eventually make their way to this bike -

https://alsrapidtransit.com/shop?ols...-bar-30&page=2

These bars will solve several problems I've come across with the build. First, they'll get the bars up to a more comfortable level since the headtube is so low. Biggest benefit (to me) is that they are made in USA. I'm trying to keep this build as American as possible. Plus, I've looked for alloy, mx style handlebars for months now and have been coming up empty handed. That these ones are wide and have the benefit of modern geometry is icing on the cake. I grew up riding bmx so the Trek will pay a bit of homage to that.

I'd love to get a custom wheelset made for the bike, but first things first. I need to keep working at it over time, which is sort of what makes this so much fun. Next up is finishing the frame and fork, and then fabricating a rear v-brake adapter. I just got word that the perma-blue for the frame shipped, so hopefully should be doing that soon!

More to come later!
That's kinda what I was thinking. I didn't ride BMX as a kid, but I rode a BMX style bike and I was actually thinking the same thing about this bike; part of why it's going to be single speed. The wheels I got are used, but they seem decent. They are single speed 135mm (rear) and 29er wheels, so I can have the larger skinnier tires. I might still get a set of 26er wheels, as well, as I am going to move forward with the disc brake conversion. I got a Surly fork with disc mounts, so I don't have a choice on the brakes up front. The fork is tall enough to compensate for the suspension fork, so I should be OK with the headset height, but I may also try to raise the bars a bit. Getting old sucks.

I am interested in the finish, so definitely post pix when you that part done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.