Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

FUJI suspends bike sales to US police

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

FUJI suspends bike sales to US police

Old 06-06-20, 03:28 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
I've got a 1999 Trek 5200. GREAT bike. Probably 30,000 miles on it. It's replacement, IF I outlast it, will not be a Trek or a Fuji.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 06-06-20, 03:31 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Fuji assigns the failures of a few to a population as a whole.
Failures of a few? And what does everyone else do in letting them get away with it?
Old 06-06-20, 03:52 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
In your eyes... it's a reasonable "business objective" to want to sell bikes to racists and fascists? Jesus. So now racism and fascism is an acceptable "other side" of a debate in America.

Glad that's cleared up now. Good luck with your country's future.
You lost me at "racists and fascists." Can't even have a meaningful debate without those two words being thrown around on a whim.
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 06-06-20, 03:58 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
You lost me at "racists and fascists." Can't even have a meaningful debate without those two words being thrown around on a whim.
... and yet, based on the evidence, two perfectly accurate terms.

If that's your reaction, you were certainly "lost" well before now.
Old 06-06-20, 04:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I see plenty of bicycle cops here in Southern California, especially in the summer when that's the best way to get through the crowds, especially down in the beach communities. The ones I've seen on TV news and YouTube videos have been put between the officers and angry crowds, not used as weapons.
That's a defensive weapon. They use bikes on the offense too.

NSFW LANGUAGE:
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-06-20, 04:12 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
... and yet, based on the evidence, two perfectly accurate terms.

If that's your reaction, you were certainly "lost" well before now.
For having a difference of opinion which differs from your beliefs, I'm one or the other LOL. Who's lost now?
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 06-06-20, 04:29 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
That will show them, since no other company sells a comparable product.... You can do that when you have a unique product. Like the pharmaceutical companies that refuse to sell the poison that is used for death penalty executions in the US. They actually have a monopoly and have an impact with their boycott. Or the doctors that refuse to participate in executions. And the poison is a product that only can be used for bad things, unlike bicycles. (remember, all democratic countries abolished capital punishment many years ago). A bicycle is a product that usually is used for good.

And you then want cops use horses, or cars or motorbikes instead? How will that make policing better?
At least in every day patrolling I think bicycle cops have the best non-aggressive connection to the population.

Just for the record, it is horrific what police do in this country and get away with. And what you see is what they are comfortable doing with witnesses and cameras around. You don't want to know what they do when no witnesses or cameras are around....
Old 06-06-20, 04:54 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
It is bad what criminals do to police. What is the number one reason for a policemen to get killed on duty? Being shot with his own gun because a criminal grabbed it in a struggle and shot him. Please consider that! How many people do not know that?
Likes For Gconan:
Old 06-06-20, 05:00 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
"911, what is your emergency?"

"Yeah, this is Fuji US headquarters at 10940 Dutton Road in Philadelphia. Our video surveillance shows there are some looters ransacking our offices and destroying property...and there might be a fire starting."

"I'm sorry, but some of our officers have noticed that there are a few badly behaved bicyclists out there on the streets and MUPs, and they appear to be riding Fuji bicycles, so we will no longer be providing service to you. Ok, bye!"

----------------------Okay,

In read Fuji's statement:Fuji Bikes said: “In the last week, we have seen our bicycles used in violent tactics that we did not intend or design them to be used for.

“In an effort to work towards real change, Bike Co. the North American distributor of Fuji Bikes, is suspending the sale of police bikes.”

This is actually very smart on Fuji's part from a liability standpoint.

Many times have manufacturers been sued by people injured when a product was not used in a manner it wasn't designed for.

And the statement also allows Fuji a fair amount of "virtue signalling".

I still disagree with Fuji's statement and decision.

Last edited by BobbyG; 06-06-20 at 05:20 PM.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-06-20, 05:08 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
(remember, all democratic countries abolished capital punishment many years ago).
Completely unrelated to the topic of this thread, but this statement is factually wrong. Even if you were to want to argue the UNited States is not a democracy, capital punishment remains legal in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan as well as India, the world’s largest democracy.
Likes For blazin:
Old 06-06-20, 05:21 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Well now, perhaps the silent majority might rethink their next bike purchase?
Won't effect my purchase at all. I don't think many police forces are going to be issuing $7,000+ bikes.
Old 06-06-20, 05:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Failures of a few? And what does everyone else do in letting them get away with it?
A phrase I read says it all about where we are currently - "If you have 300 cops where 12 are bad, if the other 288 say and do nothing about those 12 bad cops, then you now have 300 bad cops".
Old 06-06-20, 05:46 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG

"Yeah, this is Fuji US headquarters at 10940 Dutton Road in Philadelphia. Our video surveillance shows there are some looters ransacking our offices and destroying property...and there might be a fire starting."

"I'm sorry, but some of our officers have noticed that there are a few badly behaved bicyclists out there on the streets and MUPs, and they appear to be riding Fuji bicycles, so we will no longer be providing service to you. Ok, bye!"
Just to add a little spicy realism to your story, we found out two weeks later the looters were actually undercover officers, and the head of security (who's brother in law was the president of the police benevolent society) had scheduled a gap in coverage in just that half hour when the looting occurred.

And that is how things roll, in the big city.
Old 06-06-20, 05:56 PM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Total Bulls**t!!! First Lego and now this? Yea, defund and abolish the police. When they walk in your house and take what and who they want
who are you going to call? Oh, and everything will be free now from stores and no one gets arrested for DUI and no one to respond to accidents
and the list goes on and on......WAKE THE "F" UP!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME**********?
Likes For interceptor:
Old 06-06-20, 06:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by interceptor
Total Bulls**t!!! First Lego and now this? Yea, defund and abolish the police. When they walk in your house and take what and who they want
who are you going to call? Oh, and everything will be free now from stores and no one gets arrested for DUI and no one to respond to accidents
and the list goes on and on......WAKE THE "F" UP!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME**********?
I:m guessing you are white and own valuables. A young black male fears being shot by the police probably far more than having his house robbed or being put at risk by a drunk driver. Blacks of all genders and ages know calling 911 could well be life ending for them or loved ones.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-06-20, 06:09 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
False dichotomy.

Law enforcement does not require corruption and racism.. It's just been there so long we have accepted it as fundamentally true.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-06-20, 06:11 PM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Fuji has the right to suspend sales of their bikes to Police Departments if that's what they want to do. Probably more about their public image than anything else.
They don't get to dictate police tactics for crowd control or anything else. That comes from police training and command. If you sell equipment to police they get to use it as their training applies and they see fit. When crowds get out of control bad things will happen. I am not advocating police brutality or abuse of power. I would not want to be in their shoes especially during the recent unrest and violence that took place in the past days. I have several freinds who are active and retired police officers. One of My friends fellow officer (NYC Police) lost three teeth and had busted his jaw by a thrown bottle. They are trained to respond with force to such actions. They want to go home safe to their families at the end of the shift.
A curfew was instituted to quell the violence and looting that was taking place. If you are a peaceful demonstrator obey the curfew for the benefit of all involved.
Likes For solman:
Old 06-06-20, 06:15 PM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

A lot of arm chair quarterbacks. Probably never a cop but have a lot to say. HUGE difference from being there than sitting by your TV in your
warm safe cozy home. They are surrounded, get crap thrown at them, cursed at, antagonized and are told to be patient....VERY VERY HARD TO DO!
It is their job and they want to go home like everyone else. You can only take so much,no matter who you are. Hard to tell protesters from looters!
When they come onto your property or climb your fence, are you not going to wish they were there? If you say NO, you are totally full of s**t !!!
Tired of all of the Dems and Libs talking crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Likes For interceptor:
Old 06-06-20, 06:16 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by solman
They are trained to respond with force to such actions.
I can't think of a more succinct statement of the problem than that.
Old 06-06-20, 06:19 PM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I:m guessing you are white and own valuables. A young black male fears being shot by the police probably far more than having his house robbed or being put at risk by a drunk driver. Blacks of all genders and ages know calling 911 could well be life ending for them or loved ones.
Here we go.......so you agree we get rid of the police? Or is it just in the democrat ran states?
Old 06-06-20, 06:24 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by BobbyG

----------------------Okay,

In read Fuji's statement:Fuji Bikes said: “In the last week, we have seen our bicycles used in violent tactics that we did not intend or design them to be used for.

“In an effort to work towards real change, Bike Co. the North American distributor of Fuji Bikes, is suspending the sale of police bikes.”

This is actually very smart on Fuji's part from a liability standpoint.

Many times have manufacturers been sued by people injured when a product was not used in a manner it wasn't designed for.

And the statement also allows Fuji a fair amount of "virtue signalling".

I still disagree with Fuji's statement and decision.
Fuji is a private company and can do what they want. The police are not. Your analogy is wrong, and just shows your bias. You are essentially saying the police should do their job how they see fit, only help those they want, i.e. treat people differently - exactly how they treat blacks differently.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 06-06-20, 06:28 PM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
OK, tell me why because George Floyd was killed a LOT of people decided that they needed NIKES and TV'S (free of course) looted stores
AND a moving freight train and saw the need to destroy peoples hopes and dreams??? Their own neighborhoods and innocent people who more then likely
supported them in their protests!!!!!! I need a FKING answer to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-20, 06:28 PM
ZHVelo

A lot of arm chair quarterbacks. Probably never a cop but have a lot to say. HUGE difference from being there than sitting by your TV in your
warm safe cozy home. They are surrounded, get crap thrown at them, cursed at, antagonized and are told to be patient....VERY VERY HARD TO DO!
It is their job and they want to go home like everyone else. You can only take so much,no matter who you are. Hard to tell protesters from looters!
When they come onto your property or climb your fence, are you not going to wish they were there? If you say NO, you are totally full of s**t !!!
Tired of all of the Dems and Libs talking crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The videos tell a very different story. In plenty of cases they are the ones instigating. And seemingly thoroughly enjoy doing it. Which is not surprising, violent people will be attracted to policing. E.g. abusers are disproportionately part of the police force.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 06-06-20, 06:29 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Gconan
It is bad what criminals do to police. What is the number one reason for a policemen to get killed on duty? Being shot with his own gun because a criminal grabbed it in a struggle and shot him. Please consider that! How many people do not know that?
Police killed on duty has been trending downward since the 70s. Citizens killed by police has been trending up for quite a while.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-06-20, 06:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

OK, tell me why because George Floyd was killed a LOT of people decided that they needed NIKES and TV'S (free of course) looted stores
AND a moving freight train and saw the need to destroy peoples hopes and dreams??? Their own neighborhoods and innocent people who more then likely
supported them in their protests!!!!!! I need a FKING answer to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most looters are everyday thieves. They figure while there's mayhem in the streets, riot gear and tear gassing, all officers dedicated to "crowd control, they don't have to be sneaky about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.