Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Old Bianchi San Jose now in 2020

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 05-14-20, 02:05 PM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Ok, so I went back to my old trusty almost rusty Jose. That Being said i've stripped her down and been building up from the bottom.
So the spacing is quite a challenge, 100 up front 130 in the rear... the cranks. man the cranks are a pain let alone the bottom bracket and spacing.

any knowledge or info of what works and what doesnt.

the frame comes with the Sugino XD which is 130 spacing correct? Im not sure but all the bike shops around me are closed or backed up on orders so im trying to get it done myself. help a brother out!

thanks.

Last edited by somepetalhead; 05-14-20 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-15-20, 07:57 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Just measure the bolt pattern to verify what bcd. If you're installing a track rear wheel, you'll run into clearance trouble with a chainring larger than a 39t on the correct chainline.
Old 05-15-20, 12:19 PM
somepetalhead

Sounds simple... but im not too technically bike saavy, but i know people have some amazing builds to the san jose and wanted to know from them.
Old 05-25-20, 05:12 AM
somepetalhead

gotta be somebody out there that wants to chime in about what cranks worked or didnt work for them and BB to use on the San Jose, she is too sweeet a frame to not have tweaked
Old 05-25-20, 06:58 AM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I regrettably sold my San Jose canti only 2 months back hoping to upgrade to a San Jose disc frame but the seller dropped the ball due to shipping being "to hard", even after sending them a prepaid bikeflights label. That being said I literally drove 10 hrs back and forth across NYS yesterday to buy another 58cm San Jose just to avoid any shipping issues ever again and bought another canti only. The guy ran it with a Shimano BB-RS500 bb with Dura-ace FC-7900 cranks and a zipp 39t front cog. It obviously worked because the chainline was nice and straight. I'm literally stripping the bike down as I type this(coffee break) and I'm gonna replace it with a bunch of my older Campy 144 bcd square taper pista/record stuff.

If your bike is all oem, the BB is a weird 68 X 110.5, IIRC and a Sugino xd2 single(110bcd) and a 42t cog. If your bb is roached, just throw in a shimano BB-UN55, they make it in a 110. But to answer your question more directly, any brand of 68mm bb(ISO/English thread) or spindle width could conceivably work, depending on what cranks and rear wheel you intend to run.
Likes For funbuffalo24:
Old 05-25-20, 07:41 AM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
If you wanna get some fancy stuff, I've ordered from these guys too, but you have to select for extra shipping to the US: https://velosolo.co.uk/index.html
Old 05-25-20, 08:03 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by somepetalhead
gotta be somebody out there that wants to chime in about what cranks worked or didnt work for them and BB to use on the San Jose, she is too sweeet a frame to not have tweaked
I took mine apart and I have the 110.5 mm spindle as others have noted as OEM spec. The cranks are the sugino XD2. With the chainring mounted on the inner position on the spider, I have a 42mm chainline. With a 38t chainring, I have about 2.5mm of clearance. In my opinion, anything over 42 would be too little clearance between the chainring and the stays on a 42mm chain line. I have 12mm of clearance between the ends of the crank arms and the stays with 172.5mm cranks. If I wanted a narrower q-factor, I’m pretty sure that I could use a 103mm spindle and move the chainring to the outer position on the spider and still have decent clearances all around.
Old 05-25-20, 09:41 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Yes, aggiegrads is right - the stock crankset was Sugino XD2 on a 110ish mm BB, but I think I remember the chainring on mine was 42t. But keep in mind the San Jose lasted for a pretty good bit and it is more than possible that there were some parts changes over the years.

But do not gloss over the 130mm rear spacing - which of course is the reason that as he pointed out "In my opinion, anything over 42 would be too little clearance between the chainring and the stays." IIRC the guy here with the Gitane rework of the San Jose did bring this up in one of his posts about his bike and what to do about it, or not, to use a flip-flop hub on one. The rear wheel on the San Jose I had came with a singlespeed only hub so of course I just had to make one of my 120mm track wheels work. I didn't bother with spacers - cranked it down...what's 5mm to the ass-end on this bike, amirite?
Well...it worked!
It didn't affect ring/stay clearance that I could see. But I spin so a small gearing/small chainring is fine by me. Don't worry much about chainline and sold the bike before ever getting around to experimenting with different rings...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 05-25-20, 09:53 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
If you search, there’s a real extensive thread about this bike. Also someone recently built up a Gitane City Link ( same frame) if you search for that. Good luck. People love those bikes!
Old 05-28-20, 12:01 PM
somepetalhead

ok maybe i should clear this up.... im not asking for bootleg options. im not asking for stock...

100/130 is set up already on my front rear tires. the problem is the CRANKS & BOTTOM BRACKETS. which ones fit which ones dont.

hopefully that helps.

if you just love the san jose but dont own one or never have... im not asking you this is for the people that actually know 100% what works or doesnt. thanks.

just a list of what works on a San Jose and what doesnt.
Old 05-28-20, 04:27 PM
aggiegrads

ok maybe i should clear this up.... im not asking for bootleg options. im not asking for stock...

100/130 is set up already on my front rear tires. the problem is the CRANKS & BOTTOM BRACKETS. which ones fit which ones dont.

hopefully that helps.

if you just love the san jose but dont own one or never have... im not asking you this is for the people that actually know 100% what works or doesnt. thanks.

The XD is a decent enough crankset. I don’t think that many people have changed them out. Did the cranks that you took off not work? If they don’t work, what is the problem?

If you want to order something and guarantee compatibility, I would reorder what is stock. If you have a particular crankset in mind, I’m sure that someone can measure that crankset and help you do the math to determine the chainline and Qfactor.

What are your constraints? Is there a particular size chainring that you want to use? What type of hub are you using? Do you want to run fixed? If you use a free hub, then the chainline would not be a big deal.
Old 05-28-20, 04:57 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts

hopefully that helps.

jeez dude, sorry for trying to help and point you in the direction of threads that can help you. Please accept my apology for not owning a San Jose and giving you the specific answers you require.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 06-11-20, 12:07 PM
somepetalhead

Originally Posted by walnutz
jeez dude, sorry for trying to help and point you in the direction of threads that can help you. Please accept my apology for not owning a San Jose and giving you the specific answers you require.
thanks for the direction. no apology needed butt, it sounds like you might wanna get some desitin though.

yes the XD is nice... but thats not the issue. I just want something different than stock.

I'm not worried about saving money or going the cheap route if that helps.
Old 06-11-20, 10:46 PM
aggiegrads

I measured the chain stay width at the tips of 175mm cranks on both my San Jose and my All-City Nature Boy. Both have approximately the same width, so the Shimano CX-50 that I have on my All-City should work on the Bianchi. As far as I know, the CX70 has the same geometry as the CX-50.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 07-20-21, 02:39 PM
somepetalhead

reviving this oldie... So I went with 2 sets of cranks and BB that work amazingly!

The SRAM FORCE gtx BB solid as can get.

The White Industries GR30 and TSR chainring and external WI 30 BB.

Getting away from the Square Bottom Bracket was my initial goal and to shorten the crank arms a bit for gravel skids and bumps.

All I can say is that this San Jose needed a bit of a upgrade for my preferences and desire... but it rides better than any build I have ever done!

White Industries all the way...