Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

‘74 Raleigh headset servicing

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

‘74 Raleigh headset servicing

Old 07-07-20, 08:44 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
It's not a Raleigh 26 tpi headset, so that's good. Raleighs of the 70s are said to have been fitted with headsets with 30.0mm cups. Before shimming the cup, I'd get an accurate as possible measurement of the cup mating surface and see if it's less than 30.2 mm. If it is, and if the headtube is not out of round or larger than 30.2, I'd buy a modern iso headset and install that sucker. Although the Raleigh headtubes that I've measured have been about 30.0 mm, ISO headsets, like modern Tange Levin, press right in with the interference fit. If you do decide to replace the headset, pop the crown race off the fork and measure the fork surface that will hold the crown race. Lots of Raleighs had 27.0 mm while most would have been 26.4 mm. Headsets like the Tange Levin are available with either 26.4 mm or 27.0 mm crown race dimension. Cups are 30.2 mm (though there is a JIS version with 30.2 mm) with either crown race.

Personally, I heart the Tange Levin headsets. They are cheap but well made, look good on vintage steel, and have a short stack height so it's unlikely to find a fork/headtube that it won't work on. Just add some spacers to make everything happy.
-----

these parameters are all valuable to be aware of.

when it comes to comtemplating a HS change one which needs to be considered is stack height.

this measurement for the Alatet is 36.1mm.

this limits one's options in terms of contemporaneous first quality replacement candidates since sets such as Campag R/NR & Zeus GS/Criterium have stack heights of about 40.0mm.

---

regarding the milling of the head tube -

forgot to mention earlier that it is clear from the closeup images of the bicycle's BOCAMA Professionnel headlugs that Worksop employed a chamfer cutter. these are difficult to find today. manufacturers seem to have discontinued their use. VAR for example, no longer offers one for their head mill. milling the head with a flat mill will do nothing to improve alignment/fit as the races sit down in the chamfer.

-----
Old 07-07-20, 09:59 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

--- regarding the milling of the head tube -

forgot to mention earlier that it is clear from the closeup images of the bicycle's BOCAMA Professionnel headlugs that Worksop employed a chamfer cutter. these are difficult to find today. manufacturers seem to have discontinued their use. VAR for example, no longer offers one for their head mill. milling the head with a flat mill will do nothing to improve alignment/fit as the races sit down in the chamfer.

-----
I've noticed the chamfer you speak of but always assumed it was there to ease the insertion of the headtube cup and race.

1978 Super Grand Prix

1972 Grand Prix

1972 Super Course

Last edited by branko_76; 07-07-20 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 07:30 AM
jpjpjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
jpjpjp

Where do you live? One of the great benefits of this forum is that you may be very close to someone with lots of experience in the very problem you're trying to solve. If you were within driving distance of Portland, Oregon, for example, I'd be happy to take a look at your frame.
Oh, wouldn’t that be a dream. I’m in Philadelphia, so nowhere near you, but maybe someone else on the forum is by me?

The Tange Levin solution is attractive, so I will look into it. But I’m still leaning toward the shin, just for the sake of ease and keeping the original hardware...
Old 07-08-20, 07:31 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
A few things:

- The vertical fit as shown by the OP is correct - the angled edge is supposed to be there, whether the frame is chamfered or not.
- That's not the original Raleigh/Carlton headset on it right now.
- Though I'd usually recommend facing, I'd avoid it here, only as the current cup leaves a fair amount of the lug surface exposed, which will be left in bare steel to rust. Touching it up is an idea, but it'd undo all of the facing.
- Assuming that the frame is distorted, I'd use Loctite retaining compound, like #603 or #609 . This isn't the same as threadlocker. It's specifically designed for bonding cylindrical slip, press, or shrink fits - or rather, taking up the gap of a bad fit.

-Kurt

Old 07-08-20, 08:58 AM
jpjpjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
A few things:

- The vertical fit as shown by the OP is correct - the angled edge is supposed to be there, whether the frame is chamfered or not.
- That's not the original Raleigh/Carlton headset on it right now.
- Though I'd usually recommend facing, I'd avoid it here, only as the current cup leaves a fair amount of the lug surface exposed, which will be left in bare steel to rust. Touching it up is an idea, but it'd undo all of the facing.
- Assuming that the frame is distorted, I'd use Loctite retaining compound, like #603 or #609 . This isn't the same as threadlocker. It's specifically designed for bonding cylindrical slip, press, or shrink fits - or rather, taking up the gap of a bad fit.

-Kurt
You would use Loctite in place of a shim?

Also, if you are correct in pointing out that this is not the original headset, is it possible that it is slightly too small? It appears to have a 30 mm outer diameter.

Appreciate it.
Old 07-08-20, 09:09 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by jpjpjp
You would use Loctite in place of a shim?

Also, if you are correct in pointing out that this is not the original headset, is it possible that it is slightly too small? It appears to have a 30 mm outer diameter.
Loctite retaining compound is quite different than Loctite thread locker. It's specifically designed to bond slip-fit joints, such as gears to shafts. It's basically a liquid that turns into a solid, expanding between the cylindrical parts. I've used 603 once before on a frame with a upper headtube area that's been gouged out a bit too much - same thing as you're experiencing.

However, if I recall, 603 isn't the ideal retaining compound for the application; I believe there's one designed for larger gaps.

Both ISO and Raleigh spec should be 30mm. ISO, Campy, and Italian headsets are 30.2mm. There's a possibility that someone reamed it out for the latter, but then the fork would be 24tpi and not 26tpi.

Check the headset vs. the inside of the headtube with a caliper to verify. Also check the threading of the fork.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-08-20, 10:17 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Loctite retaining compound is quite different than Loctite thread locker. It's specifically designed to bond slip-fit joints, such as gears to shafts. It's basically a liquid that turns into a solid, expanding between the cylindrical parts. I've used 603 once before on a frame with a upper headtube area that's been gouged out a bit too much - same thing as you're experiencing.

However, if I recall, 603 isn't the ideal retaining compound for the application; I believe there's one designed for larger gaps.

Both ISO and Raleigh spec should be 30mm. ISO, Campy, and Italian headsets are 30.2mm. There's a possibility that someone reamed it out for the latter, but then the fork would be 24tpi and not 26tpi.

Check the headset vs. the inside of the headtube with a caliper to verify. Also check the threading of the fork.

-Kurt
Kurt, this fork should be 24 tpi. Disregard my earlier comment.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 07-08-20, 11:49 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Loctite retaining compound is quite different than Loctite thread locker. It's specifically designed to bond slip-fit joints, such as gears to shafts. It's basically a liquid that turns into a solid, expanding between the cylindrical parts.
Intriguing. How permanent is it? Would it yield, for example, to the use of a Park Tool headset race remover?
Old 07-08-20, 11:54 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by madpogue
Intriguing. How permanent is it? Would it yield, for example, to the use of a Park Tool headset race remover?
Not enough to do damage or prevent removal. I've removed that same raceway with 603 on it, no problem.

Think of 603 like "stuck seatpost in a bottle." It'd be a disaster on any of those parts due to their design, but a headset raceway doesn't really present the same issue. The remover puts more than enough force on the cup and there isn't enough surface to prevent movement.

I would never use it on a proper-fitting headset though. It might tighten things up a bit too much (but still be removable)

-Kurt

Old 07-08-20, 03:07 PM
jpjpjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Update:

Finally yielded and took it to a shop. They recommended just wrapping some teflon (plumber’s) tape around the race and squeezing it in. They were out of bearings so I still have to get those from another shop.... But seems like a quick and easy alternative to other forms of shimming. They did it right there at no charge and it feels pretty snug. Will it hold up? Time will tell...
Old 07-08-20, 04:19 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I've never seen anything like this on a Raleigh. I don't think it's the correct part.
Old 07-08-20, 04:41 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by BigChief
I've never seen anything like this on a Raleigh. I don't think it's the correct part.
I agree, that's why I asked the op in an earlier post to upload a photo of the entire headset. I guess it was easier to have a dozen or so forum members guess what the problem is.
Old 07-08-20, 05:02 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

bearings tip -

they can be purchased at much lower cost from an industrial supply house such as McMaster-Carr than from a bike shop.

-----
Old 07-08-20, 05:30 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I usually buy bearings from vxb.com. Grade 25 or better (lower) is what I normally buy. I was in a hurry the last time so bought some from some bike shop on ebay though.
Old 07-08-20, 05:57 PM
desconhecido 

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I'm not sure of all the Loctite offerings, but the bearing mount that I'm familiar with requires big heat to disassemble. Check specs on whatever is considered to see whether it requires heat or just shear force.
Old 07-09-20, 05:38 AM
jpjpjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I agree, that's why I asked the op in an earlier post to upload a photo of the entire headset. I guess it was easier to have a dozen or so forum members guess what the problem is.
Now you’ve intrigued me. It’s assembled, but does this tell you anything?

Old 07-09-20, 06:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

A couple of things:

1. Whether it is the right or wrong upper raceway, the frame is supposed to be 30.0mm, and so should the raceway. The only other headset sizes go up, which is why I was curious as to the headtube bore.

2. It's been a while since I tinkered with that particular headset, but I do recognize the completed headset as being a proper Raleigh / Carlton headset for a Grand Sport.

3. I think everyone is expecting this headset raceway instead, which is the one associated with the thicker, flatter Raleigh headsets used on the Sports and many other models.

It's obviously a better design for holding loose bearing balls, but I can't say whether it's supposed to be the raceway included with your headset. But it was irrelevant for the question at hand: Regardless of the cup, either shouldn't be smaller than 30mm in diameter, indicating that the frame needed scrutiny.

Since the shop has since assembled it, we won't know. Curious to hear how the Teflon holds up.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-09-20, 06:54 AM
branko_76 

cudak888 ,
Old 07-09-20, 06:58 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by jpjpjp
Now you’ve intrigued me. It’s assembled, but does this tell you anything?
cudak888 summed it up perfectly
Old 07-09-20, 03:48 PM
jpjpjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I appreciate all the input. I know the upper race was at 30mm when measured by the bike shop. As far as the head tube, I am not sure. I am poor in tools but should really have a simple caliper by now....

i will let you know how the teflon holds up. Probably when it wears and fails. 😅
Likes For jpjpjp: