Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Odd behavior by another cyclist when I take "his" KOM

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-14-20, 07:23 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts

I'm I fan of Strava, mostly for the social aspects of seeing my friends rides & also to track some popular segments that we all share. It's great to go up against my friends on those, there are about ten of them that are highly competitive within my cycling club, I don't stand a chance of a KOM, or even to be first in my club on any of those.
I do have a few KOM's, none on highly competitive segments, most are near my home. I find it fun to try to go for them, but in all reality they don't mean that much to me, and I certainly don't consider them to be "mine", if someone can beat me, especially if it's one of my friends, then they get kudos, and I'm happy for that person.

I have noticed a very odd behavior by some local cyclist who I don't know. Whenever I get a KOM that he has, he goes out the next day to get it back. Fine, I don't really care, if it makes him happy, whatever. But recently, I got one of "his" that had stood since 2015, and within hours it was "flagged as hazardous". I can't be 100% sure who did this, but I'm sure that it wasn't one of my followers, so it has to be that guy. As Yogi Berra said "It's way to coincidental to be a coincidence".
It's not a big deal, I'm not going to go through the Strava waiver process etc., but c'mon, isn't this a little weird?
Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 07-14-20, 07:26 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
1. Yes.
2. Flag all of his KOMs that you don't covet as hazardous.

I'm still pondering the first five words of your post.
Old 07-14-20, 07:27 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
That guy is weird, that's for sure. Let it go... Not worth it
Old 07-14-20, 07:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Time to go private...
Old 07-14-20, 07:40 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
On another note, great job on a new best time on a standing 5 year result. Looks like another positive aspect of Strava is setting performance marks and reaching them.
Old 07-14-20, 07:47 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
On another note, great job on a new best time on a standing 5 year result. Looks like another positive aspect of Strava is setting performance marks and reaching them.
Not really but thanks. It's a heavily traveled segment but not one that many people go all-out on. I only went hard see what I could do, after I unknowingly put up a top-ten a few days earlier. I've ridden it dozens of times without even knowing that it was a segment.
The segment does go through a stop sign, but the intersection is only busy at rush hour, not a car in sight when I hit it.

This guy also has a KOM that starts at the at the same spot, goes through the same stop sign but then takes a turn to end in another spot.
Maybe he should flag his own KOM.

Last edited by Dancing Skeleton; 07-14-20 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 07:54 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Not a fan of Strava, for this exact reason.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 07-14-20, 08:00 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
i don't like these segments that go through stop signs. they make absolutely no sense. not sure if it is possible but strava should kill them as they are created. not sure if stop signs are on some sort of data base that they have access to. maybe flagging is all that there is.
Old 07-14-20, 08:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Well, there's something I'll never have to worry about. WAY too many cyclists here, and most of them on Strava. I got a couple PRs on Friday. One PR was 10,605th for that segment out of 28,536. So, no KOMs for this guy!

(Still pretty proud of that one, since it's a 5 mile segment I've ridden 250 times, going back to when I was only 56!)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-14-20, 08:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, there's something I'll never have to worry about. WAY too many cyclists here, and most of them on Strava. I got a couple PRs on Friday. One PR was 10,605th for that segment out of 28,536. So, no KOMs for this guy!

(Still pretty proud of that one, since it's a 5 mile segment I've ridden 250 times, going back to when I was only 56!)

My thoughts as well. KOMs around here are the equivalent of a 4 minute mile. I may get into top 25%.
Old 07-14-20, 09:00 PM
CGLTD

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll ask. What is a KOM?
Likes For CGLTD:
Old 07-14-20, 09:02 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I am not sure if its possible for me to care less about segments and KOMs...
Old 07-14-20, 09:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by CGLTD
I'll ask. What is a KOM?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Hill_(game)
King of the Hill (also known as King of the Mountain or King of the Castle) is a children's game, the object of which is to stay on top of a large hill or pile (or any other designated area) as the "King of the Hill". Other players attempt to knock the current King off the pile and take their place, thus becoming the new King of the Hill.

The way the "king" can be removed from the hill depends largely on the rules determined by the players before the game starts. Ordinarily pushing is the most common way of removing the king from the hill, but there are significantly rougher variations where punching or kicking is allowed. As such, the game is often banned from schools.[citation needed]
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-14-20, 11:53 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by CGLTD
I'll ask. What is a KOM?

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...bile_site=true
Old 07-14-20, 11:58 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
It is odd behaviour but some folks are sore losers and cannot cope with defeat. Others make excuses, some throw wobblies. I've had one chap block me on Strava but that's all.

I don't try for KOM's my friends have, there are millions out there so plenty to go around - I get 2 or 3 every week!
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-15-20, 01:39 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
There's a couple of riders around here who do 3-4 mile "rides" just to get a KOM. You can see the start finish places of their rides so obviously went out purely for purpose of getting KOM. Whatever floats your boat I guess but seems a bit sad to me. I also find it's kind of funny they tend to label ride with something like "Quick spin after work" or similar rather than fessing up to real reason.
Old 07-15-20, 01:50 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferCyclist
There's a couple of riders around here who do 3-4 mile "rides" just to get a KOM. You can see the start finish places of their rides so obviously went out purely for purpose of getting KOM. Whatever floats your boat I guess but seems a bit sad to me. I also find it's kind of funny they tend to label ride with something like "Quick spin after work" or similar rather than fessing up to real reason.
I've done this once. 4 or 5 mile loop simply to get the KOM on a hill. The person who held it before me set it on a 64 mile ride. In retrospect, not a very impressive feat by me. My record was beaten a year later and I didn't bother to try getting it back. I also moved, so there's that.
Old 07-15-20, 02:08 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Talented climber + OCD = this.

Next time you rob him of his deserved KOMness, hide in the bushes and see who's doing the climb.
Old 07-15-20, 02:48 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Uninstall Strava. I did it long ago and I don't regret it.
Old 07-15-20, 03:42 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Rent or borrow an e-bike and go smash all of the guy's KOMs and anything else he prizes on Strava.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-15-20, 04:00 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Rent or borrow an e-bike and go smash all of the guy's KOMs and anything else he prizes on Strava.
Don't just stop there. Find his kids and steal their KOMs too. And then neighbours, co-workers, bar tenders, pizza delivery guy, LBS mechanic, ex wife (he sounds like such a complete ****** he won't have a current partner), deKOM them all. Word will get around soon enough that this guy is toxic to anyone who values strava and he'll be ostracised!
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-15-20, 04:23 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
This is why I do not do Strava or a member of social media like FB or Twitter or all those other places where the nefarious hang out. I do like forums where you glean information however to a particular discipline like here.

I would not worry about the whatever you are referring to to be honest. I have heard many years ago when Strava was fairly new and had these features that once someone got beat on segments and could not physically beat the other person they would use their device and get into a vehicle and just go quick enough to beat the person to regain the lead. This is why I hate these things personally......peoples itty bitty feelings get hurt.
Old 07-15-20, 04:26 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Talented climber + OCD = this.

Next time you rob him of his deserved KOMness, hide in the bushes and see who's doing the climb.
Or watch them drive by in a Prius.
Old 07-15-20, 04:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Don't just stop there. Find his kids and steal their KOMs too. And then neighbours, co-workers, bar tenders, pizza delivery guy, LBS mechanic, ex wife (he sounds like such a complete ****** he won't have a current partner), deKOM them all. Word will get around soon enough that this guy is toxic to anyone who values strava and he'll be ostracised!
+1. Go full Keyser Soze on his a$$! He will learn not to mess with people and their unimportant KOMs.
Old 07-15-20, 04:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Strava is what you want it to be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.