Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

waving at other riders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

waving at other riders

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 01:53 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Now you got me started on a day last year on tour in Montana. It was a drizzly, chilly, foggy morning on a high speed road in the middle of nowhere with a relatively narrow shoulder. I’m concentrating on the task at hand, which includes watching for potholes and road debris along with any large critters that might wander out of the woods. Totally in a zone. Out of nowhere comes the alpha male on an organized bike tour who passes me fast and close and says something just as he’s almost shoulder even. I shouted several expletives and literally wished he would crash. You just don’t do that.

Later, a few other people with the tour spooked me like that. I finally got so pissed I explained to one guy that if I and my fully loaded bike were to get in an entanglement, physics would probably make me the victor.
Calling our and waving are different. You have to be situationally aware and considerate. I cannot imagine a situation in which a wave would be wrong. A call maybe. I will call out every time I pass someone. I would expect them to want to know I am coming. And I want them to know I am coming.
Likes For Sorg67:
Old 08-22-20, 01:57 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Univega
Which one?
If you gotta ask.....
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 08-22-20, 02:05 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I rode motorcycles my whole life and when passing others we always gave a low wave out of a sense of camaraderie. Too many idiots today don't even know what camaraderie is and yet it still seems rude on a bicycle when passing on-comers that don't acknowledge back. Snobs!
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 08-22-20, 02:09 PM
Sorg67

I ride motorcycles too and do the low wave. My first motorcycle wave was a high wave and I quickly found out why the low wave is preferred at motorcycles speeds.
Likes For Sorg67:
Old 08-22-20, 02:13 PM
aRoudy1

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I live in a small town--nearly all cyclists and about a quarter of oncoming cars and trucks initiate a wave.
Likes For aRoudy1:
Old 08-22-20, 03:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
Calling our and waving are different. You have to be situationally aware and considerate. I cannot imagine a situation in which a wave would be wrong. A call maybe. I will call out every time I pass someone. I would expect them to want to know I am coming. And I want them to know I am coming.

For me, announcing on a path is necessary unless it's a really wide one. On roads, it depends. If I'm way over in the lane and a bicyclist is several feet over on the shoulder, I find people get confused about what I expect them to do, which is basically nothing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-22-20, 03:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by aRoudy1
I live in a small town--nearly all cyclists and about a quarter of oncoming cars and trucks initiate a wave.

I live in a small city with an inordinate number of inebriate low-lifes driving big black pickup trucks.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-22-20, 03:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I am a big waver. I wave at everybody. Cars, bikes, pedestrians, motorcycles even dogs. Most people return the wave with varying degrees of enthusiasm.
Why do you hate cows? They appreciate a friendly wave too. Dang cowists.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-22-20, 03:34 PM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by livedarklions
For me, announcing on a path is necessary unless it's a really wide one. On roads, it depends. If I'm way over in the lane and a bicyclist is several feet over on the shoulder, I find people get confused about what I expect them to do, which is basically nothing.
Agree you have to be situationally aware and use some common sense.
Old 08-22-20, 03:35 PM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Why do you hate cows? They appreciate a friendly wave too. Dang cowists.
Yes, I should be more considerate of cows.
Old 08-22-20, 04:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I cannot imagine a situation in which a wave would be wrong. A call maybe. I will call out every time I pass someone. I would expect them to want to know I am coming. And I want them to know I am coming.
A. Try handling a loaded touring bike descending a mountain pass at 40 mph when someone coming up hill at 6 mph waves at you. I’m not taking my hands off the bars to wave back. For self preservation, I’m paying full attention to the task.

B. Letting someone know you are COMING is one thing. Saying something in their ear when you are even with them is another. Guess you can’t grasp the difference or maybe have reading comprehension issues.

It’s as if you have little or no cycling experience whatsoever. Definitely time to supplement the iggy list.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-22-20, 06:32 PM
UnderDawgAl
Overweight & Out of Shape

Bikes: '94 Giant Sedona ATX mtb, since new; '12 Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
My Southern roots compel me to wave or at least lift fingers off the bar in friendly acknowledgement. It would be an act against God not to.
Likes For UnderDawgAl:
Old 08-22-20, 06:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
A. Try handling a loaded touring bike descending a mountain pass at 40 mph when someone coming up hill at 6 mph waves at you. I’m not taking my hands off the bars to wave back. For self preservation, I’m paying full attention to the task.

B. Letting someone know you are COMING is one thing. Saying something in their ear when you are even with them is another. Guess you can’t grasp the difference or maybe have reading comprehension issues.

It’s as if you have little or no cycling experience whatsoever. Definitely time to supplement the iggy list.

In fairness, I couldn't tell whether your complaint was he said something too late or that he said anything at all, and I think my reading comprehension is ok. TBH, the alpha male close pass at high speed is going to be the thing that sets me off, talking or silent.

I won't wave on a fast downhill, but I might tip my head a little. Kind of the same thing. Doubt I'd even notice the bike on the other side of the road if I'm going that fast.
Old 08-22-20, 10:40 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I wave to the opposing riders as they come my way. I find that 60 to 70% of time the riders will wave back. Like livedarklions I don't wave when going downhill.

Oh, and I do say hi to the wildlife (horses, cows, goats, etc.) that I pass. Sometimes I'll wave too.
Old 08-22-20, 11:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
North Central Texan here too. Most cyclists seem okay. I don't expect everyone to wave. Sometimes I'm focused on the road conditions and traffic, so I may overlook a passing cyclist. Not a snub. I expect other cyclists will be paying more attention to their own ride than mine.

I'm more likely to wave at every jogger and pedestrian I encounter. Or neighbors in their yards. I already know cyclists are weirdos. I'm just trying to reassure the normies.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-23-20, 03:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I wave to the opposing riders as they come my way. I find that 60 to 70% of time the riders will wave back. Like livedarklions I don't wave when going downhill.

Oh, and I do say hi to the wildlife (horses, cows, goats, etc.) that I pass. Sometimes I'll wave too.
Wild cows?
Old 08-23-20, 05:13 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Since I mainly ride my trike here in town, it make it very easy to wave, as I usually do. I wave at cyclist and walkers alike.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-23-20, 04:31 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I check in on BF every so often, to make sure that waving is still of great concern.
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 08-23-20, 04:55 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Wild cows?
Wild in that they are in the field, either before or after being milked.
Old 08-23-20, 07:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Wild in that they are in the field, either before or after being milked.

Old 08-23-20, 08:34 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Wrong, that's the mythological event leading up to the Velopenesian War. The truth is that was actually caused by the interception and decoding of the Bontrager Memorandum.
Wait a minute. I thought the Velopenesian War was that minor skirmish between WW1 and WW2 where France and Italy couldn't agree on non-conflicting scheduling for their national races, Le Tour and the Giro, respectively (Spain was neutral and didn't care when their Vuelta was to be scheduled). It was settled when the British Prime Minister and German Chancellor met with the two sides in Munich and came up with the Bontrager Memorandum (remember the famous saying "Pace in our Time"?). Unfortunately the agreement fell apart, everybody took sides, and WW2 broke out in September 1939, causing all the races to be cancelled for the next 4 years.

Darn, this history stuff gets more complex all the time!
Old 08-23-20, 10:30 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
^nevill chamberlain had a helluva palmares at his local velodrome and regional one-days. who knew?
Old 08-23-20, 11:57 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
How do you overtake them?

Maybe I am doing it too dangerous, but I usually look behind me to see if a car is there, if not I just go one the road and overtake the cyclist on the cycling lane. Often though I still don't go that far onto the road so that a car could also still overtake me just by going slightly into the oncoming lane (obviously if no car is coming). But here there's too many cyclists, and no one calls, it would be super awkward to call out.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 08-24-20, 01:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I guess we haven't had a waving thread for a couple of weeks; so this was overdue.

I'm not particularly unfriendly, but I don't feel any need to wave to strangers as if I know them, just because they're on a bike. I don't want them to think I want to be friends, in case they're an axe-murderer or on their way to a cannibal convention.
Old 09-02-20, 03:37 PM
wesleydrogo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very Nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.