Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

high-end shorts worth it for 100 km + rides?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

high-end shorts worth it for 100 km + rides?

Old 08-29-20, 03:19 AM
el forestero

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane AL 3, 2019 Giant Escape RX Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the advice, folks. I'll check into some chamois cream and better bibs and have another look at my saddle to see how things might be better adjusted.
Old 08-29-20, 04:28 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Up to 2 hours, I am happy with mid-range Castelli/Giordana/Sportful stuff. But once we start getting into 3 hours or longer rides, I definitely prefer higher-end bibs - Assos are my favorite, but La Passione is very good as well, as is the higher-end Castelli range. It is money well spent, IMO.
Old 08-30-20, 06:40 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Up to 2 hours, I am happy with mid-range Castelli/Giordana/Sportful stuff. But once we start getting into 3 hours or longer rides, I definitely prefer higher-end bibs - Assos are my favorite, but La Passione is very good as well, as is the higher-end Castelli range. It is money well spent, IMO.
How so, what difference do you feel after 3 hours?
Old 08-30-20, 09:22 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
How so, what difference do you feel after 3 hours?
I just feel more comfortable on the saddle. Less fidgety, less aware of the saddle, less need to shift around.
Old 09-01-20, 03:37 AM
ZHVelo

I just feel more comfortable on the saddle. Less fidgety, less aware of the saddle, less need to shift around.
And that is because of superior padding or hard to say?
Old 09-01-20, 07:00 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
FWIW... I've been buying inexpensive shorts on eBay straight from China and thought they were a good deal. They look good enough, fit OK, and last long enough... especially for the price. However, I'm learning that the padding in their shorts can be hit-or-miss. In particular, I am going to stay far away from any type of gel padding in shorts. I've found that what I thought was pain caused by a bad fitting saddle is actually pain caused by the gel pads in my shorts that are too thick and not in the right places. My low-end Pearl Izumi shorts that seemingly have a cheap, flat pad are actually more comfortable than the gel pad shorts. In addition, the gel eventually dries-up even when being washed in cold water, making the shorts worse than not wearing padded shorts at all. I do have some eBay shorts that don't have gel pads and they're reasonably comfortable, but I'm finding that most of the off shore manufacturers are pushing the gel padding as though it's a great idea.

I have mental issues with paying $100+ for shorts as I used to work for a large retailer and I know about what clothing actually costs to manufacture (and it's not much). However, price aside, I'm learning that higher-priced shorts do typically perform better.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 09-01-20, 07:02 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
And that is because of superior padding or hard to say?
I havent done rigorous A/B testing, but i am pretty confident it is the pads.
Old 09-01-20, 08:00 AM
ZHVelo

I havent done rigorous A/B testing, but i am pretty confident it is the pads.
Interesting, makes me think if I should invest in a top end model myself to see if I also feel better.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 09-01-20, 08:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,641 Posts
I ride whatever is free (racing sponsor) most often which is generally mid to low end stuff. Pactimo last few years and for the foreseeable future. I purchase some extras and lately I've been enjoying The Black Bibs b/c they're cheap. The mid-level ones have some nice features like silicone leg grippers and are also $60 last I checked.

A good slather of vasoline or chamois butter makes inferior chamois more tolerable IME.
Old 09-01-20, 12:05 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Yes, yes yes and yes! Never go cheap on shorts. Your butt will thank me later.
Old 09-01-20, 04:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,788 Times in 3,305 Posts
Never hurts to try.
Old 09-05-20, 03:43 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Shorts make a big difference. My daily rides are generall 30-40 miles and all shorts do well for this. But I ride two or three metric centuries a month and after 80 km in the saddle, I sometimes stat feeling uncomfortable. I only buy high end shorts and the Performance Elite from five years ago were terrific shorts. I purchased some bibs for $40 for The Black Bibs. The padding is pretty nice, but a bit large in diameter (I am female, so males might be different) and the size I usually order, XL, might fit a bit better if they were "taller" by an inch. Earlier this spring I purchased a pair of "sample" bibs from Voler. They were like new and were the top of the line bibs and chamois for a mere $30. THEY ARE TERRIFIC! I ordered two more in my size before they ran out. I learned that cheap Jerseys and socks may wear out quickly, but they don't affect your ride. The same is not true for shorts. When you find a pari of shorts/bibs that you really like, be shore to stock up on them! Because they may change from year to year and be different.
Old 09-10-20, 07:34 PM
Gp333

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
YES. Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to some nice shorts/bibs. Tons of great brands out there for every budget. Do a bit of research and find the right one for you.
Old 09-10-20, 08:53 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I have mental issues with paying $100+ for shorts as I used to work for a large retailer and I know about what clothing actually costs to manufacture (and it's not much). However, price aside, I'm learning that higher-priced shorts do typically perform better.
I felt the same way about shorts: more than a bill is a lot; heck, even a bill is a lot. I rationalized that if the shorts last years upon years and provide greater comfort, then in the end it's worth it. I gave Assos a shot and haven't looked back.
Old 09-11-20, 07:23 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

The more i ride in them, the more impressed I am by La Passione. I think their bibs are better than the Assos "entry level" bibs.
Old 09-11-20, 09:22 AM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Like a lot of people in this thread, I got by with amazon sourced, chinese made shorts for quite a while. Some brands like Santic and Przewalski were 'ok.' A few month ago I switched to italian made bibs from Santini and Ale and couldn't be happier. Much more comfortable and if you buy when they're on sale not much more than amazon sourced gear.

John
Old 09-11-20, 09:30 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
The more i ride in them, the more impressed I am by La Passione. I think their bibs are better than the Assos "entry level" bibs.
I nearly tried out La Passione during their summer sale. I did a quick google search and a bunch of unhappy customers popped up. It seems they don't warranty anything. It isn't written anywhere on the website that there is a warranty outside of Italy. I made a comment about this on their fb page and they replied stating otherwise. That they do warranty items. I wasn't willing to find out.
Old 09-11-20, 11:25 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I nearly tried out La Passione during their summer sale. I did a quick google search and a bunch of unhappy customers popped up. It seems they don't warranty anything. It isn't written anywhere on the website that there is a warranty outside of Italy. I made a comment about this on their fb page and they replied stating otherwise. That they do warranty items. I wasn't willing to find out.
Ah, that's a shame! So far, I havent needed the warranty, but i only have 1 pair - that said, i do plan to get a few more. Hopefully, wont need any warranty or if i do, they will do the right thing.
Old 09-11-20, 11:27 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
should I be embarrassed to admit that I only buy fancy shorts for spin class?
Old 09-11-20, 09:13 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
should I be embarrassed to admit that I only buy fancy shorts for spin class?
You should be more embarrassed to admit to going to spin class...

Actually, jokes apart, indoor trainer rides is where i feel i need the most padding. I can never seem to get comfy on the saddle indoors.
Old 09-13-20, 10:47 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
High price doesn't mean high comfort, and what works for others might not work for you. YMMV.

That said, when I got into randonneuring I noticed a lot of experienced riders using Voler bibs. So I tried a pair, found them very comfortable, and soon ditched everything all my other fancy bibs. Voler uses a thinner chamois than, say, the Pearl Izumi PRO bibs (which is thick and bulky and horrible), and it's much more comfortable. Now I pretty much only use Voler bibs on rides of 100+ miles.