Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Identifying ARAYA rim

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-09-20, 02:30 PM
andom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Hi All!

Not too long ago I purchased a rebuilt 1973 raleigh super course TT, and I am not sure what all was replaced and I am curious about the front wheel (different than rear). The rim has etched on it a stylized "ARAYA" and immediately below it "700C JAPAN," but otherwise has no markings and 36 holes. Since I have not yet made 10 posts, I cannot post a photo. Hopefully this is enough information, but if not I can repost after I have made 10 posts. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-20, 02:34 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
It's a few years on, but here's a 1970s Araya catalog if it helps.

The catalogs of Japanese vintage bicycle
Old 09-09-20, 02:37 PM
andom

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
thanks! I guess I should have mentioned that it looks anodized/coated with a brownish/bronze color
Old 09-09-20, 02:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check the Velobase site too. They have info on some Araya rims.

Also, Araya keeps an archive of products dating back to the mid-1980s. (Oops, that's the bike archives. Here's the link to the rim archives.) It's a little hard to find (it's usually buried a few pages deep on any Google search) and you'll need to use Google translate to read it. But it's very helpful.

Between those I've been able to identify Araya rims that had no other markings, just based on comparing the appearance and features with the old catalogs.

Last edited by canklecat; 09-09-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-09-20, 02:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
There are even more Araya rim catalogs archived here: https://www.araya-kk.co.jp/rim/catalog.html

I'm gonna shoot from the hip and guess SS-45: https://www.araya-kk.co.jp/img/rim/catalog/ca06-04.jpg
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-09-20, 03:52 PM
andom

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Check the Velobase site too. They have info on some Araya rims.

Also, Araya keeps an archive of products dating back to the mid-1980s. (Oops, that's the bike archives. Here's the link to the rim archives.) It's a little hard to find (it's usually buried a few pages deep on any Google search) and you'll need to use Google translate to read it. But it's very helpful.

Between those I've been able to identify Araya rims that had no other markings, just based on comparing the appearance and features with the old catalogs.
thank you!

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
There are even more Araya rim catalogs archived here:

I'm gonna shoot from the hip and guess SS-45:
Thanks to you as well, and as you would have guessed it is definitely the SS-45! Really appreciate the help, everyone.
Old 09-10-20, 09:52 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by andom
Hi All!

Not too long ago I purchased a rebuilt 1973 raleigh super course TT, and I am not sure what all was replaced and I am curious about the front wheel (different than rear). The rim has etched on it a stylized "ARAYA" and immediately below it "700C JAPAN," but otherwise has no markings and 36 holes. Since I have not yet made 10 posts, I cannot post a photo. Hopefully this is enough information, but if not I can repost after I have made 10 posts. Thanks in advance!
In general I think the Araya rims are good quality. In a recent thread, I think in another forum, that Super Course TT from that time frame was originally supplied with tubular tires and tubular rims. So, at least your rims are not original to your bike, and it could be that the entire wheelset was replaced. If your rims are in good condition, no wobbles, skips or humps as they turn and all the spokes are present and tight, you have only to check the wheel bearings and then go forward with no worries. It should ride as well as the same-year non-TT Super Course. Commensurate hub quality is a minor issue.

If you're considering converting back to tubulars, get back to us to start a thread on that. Some options and decisions.

But for now, you have good quality parts there. If the assembly is good and the wear factors are low, you have no worries for at least a few years, if you keep the hubs greased and smooth.