Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The last bike I'll ever buy

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The last bike I'll ever buy

Old 06-09-20, 03:30 AM
fofinet855

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks again. After hours of googling and checking all off the components I think I might have settled on a Conway GRV 600 Alu. Anyone has any experience with the brand? I can't find any review online.
Other gravel bikes have better features, but this one ships with a RD-RX400, 10speed rear derailleur, which supports sprockets up to 36 teeth, and light gears are more important to me than, for example, support for rack on the fork. The Scott 520 is supposedly built to last, but the reviews don't seem to agree, and the drivetrain is of quite lower quality. The Bergamont Grandurance look very good, but they all have heavier gears.

The only detail I'm not entirely convinced of is the hydraulic brakes. I have a vague idea that cable brakes will last longer, do you agree? But in any case I suppose I can replace them later on.
Old 06-09-20, 02:14 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
But titanium doesnt rust and has a much longer fatigue life.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-09-20, 11:21 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by fofinet855
Thanks again. After hours of googling and checking all off the components I think I might have settled on a Conway GRV 600 Alu. Anyone has any experience with the brand? I can't find any review online.
Other gravel bikes have better features, but this one ships with a RD-RX400, 10speed rear derailleur, which supports sprockets up to 36 teeth, and light gears are more important to me than, for example, support for rack on the fork. The Scott 520 is supposedly built to last, but the reviews don't seem to agree, and the drivetrain is of quite lower quality. The Bergamont Grandurance look very good, but they all have heavier gears.

The only detail I'm not entirely convinced of is the hydraulic brakes. I have a vague idea that cable brakes will last longer, do you agree? But in any case I suppose I can replace them later on.
For maximum versatility & durability the frame is much more important than drive-train weight/quality. Nowadays the cheaper drive-train parts are often quite good & not all that much heavier than fancier versions. GRV 600 looks limited as to tire width, stem adjustment & front-rack mounts. Hydraulic brakes have easy brake effort & are reportedly quite durable though they limit choices if changing components.
Old 06-10-20, 07:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
"The last bike I'll ever buy" makes a huge assumption that you might be overlooking. How are you going to change as you age? Your abilities, interests and uses are all evolving. Your local infrastructure as well as the entire rest of the universe is evolving too. Why wouldn't what you feel you need and want in a bicycle be changing over time too?

I suspect I've bought my last bike but that's because I'm 77 and I don't have a whole lot of time left. It took me a long time to wrap my mind around the idea of me riding a recumbent trike but that's what I'm doing today and overall I'm happy with having made that decision.
Old 09-12-20, 06:31 AM
fofinet855

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
"The last bike I'll ever buy" makes a huge assumption that you might be overlooking. How are you going to change as you age? Your abilities, interests and uses are all evolving. Your local infrastructure as well as the entire rest of the universe is evolving too. Why wouldn't what you feel you need and want in a bicycle be changing over time too?
That's a very sage advice
Although a "normal" road bike (as opposed for example to an aggressive MTB) is something I can safely assume I'll use for a long time. But yes, you'll never know

Did about 5,000 km with the bike. Some minor problems with the rear shift, but besides that it works like a charm.
Old 09-12-20, 02:07 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I find it fascinating that the OP gets a 500 Euro bonus for buying a bike. I wish I could get a $500 bonus for buying a bike here in the U.S.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-12-20, 02:27 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
If you want bombproof and one that will last forever, get a steel frame. Especially if you will lock it up outside, put it in bike racks, or leave it where it can get banged up. Both aluminum and carbon crack much more easily than steel.
Old 09-13-20, 05:32 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Last bike??? I doubt it. In the late 80s I bought what I thot would be my last bike. But here I am 4 bikes later. Im 82 and still ride about 25 miles every other day with no problems at all.

Last edited by rydabent; 09-20-20 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 03:09 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I would just go here and find something in your price range

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/
Old 09-14-20, 06:25 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Id give steel the edge for ease of repairability. Can be simply welded or worked, Titanium not so much.
By frame builders, not just any old welder.
Old 09-15-20, 07:39 PM
marcusrojo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BMX Bicycles.
Old 09-18-20, 01:08 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Hey everyone, first post here.

I'm looking to buy a new road/tourism/gravel bike, for hybrid use (commuting, traveling, skiing
). I've checked online and found tons of possibilities, of course, with almost endless choices regarding all the possible aspects of the bike.

My question here is a bit lateral, perhaps: what bike, or bikes, or kind of bike, can I expect to last the longest? Right now I'm using a Cannondale H800 from, I believe, 1994. I've been using it a lot and for a very long time, been hit by a (slow) car once, and in time I've changed almost all the components, but it's still working (frame and fork are original). I find this quite amazing: it's so old, but with some maintenance it stil serves it function.

Now I want to replace it with something similar, because it's a bit too small for me, because it does show its age, and because in Italy there is a €500 bonus for buying a bike. I'm looking for something in the €1000-1500 range (but can think of going a bit higher if it's worth it). What aspects should I take into consideration regarding the likelihood that it'll last me just as long as the Cannondale? (For example: carbon vs aluminium vs steel for both frame and fork, mechanical vs fluid for the brakes, model of the derailleur, etc)

I'm not a pro, I'm not obsessed with speed, I'm not looking for the highest-end components. I mostly want it to be solid, and to carry me around even with a heavy load.

Thanks in advance.
I would suggest an aluminum Ridley. I don't know what it is about them but they ride VERY well. I had one for awhile and around here we would do gravel rides and while everyone else was jumping around the Ridley rode perfectly smooth. I went to a Colnago, a Trek Emonda and a Lemond Zurich. There in Italy you might be able to find a Tommasini which is also a great riding bike and being steel would outlast you if you take care of it.
Old 09-18-20, 05:49 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I want a Fuji Touring Disc.

Nice bike, great price.
Old 09-25-20, 02:41 AM
fofinet855

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I want a Fuji Touring Disc.

Nice bike, great price.
I read terrible reviews of that brand though. Google around and you'll see.
Old 09-25-20, 02:44 AM
fofinet855

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I would just go here and find something in your price range

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/
They look solid, but (as is stupidly common on brands' websites) they don't tell the price. I checked the "TX-800 Anderswo" and it's £2,639. Who knows, maybe the one I bought won't be the last after all
Old 09-25-20, 03:34 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I read terrible reviews of that brand though. Google around and you'll see.
Interesting comment. I read excessively and have never seen a bad review on a Fuji. The only reviews I've read on the touring disc have been pretty positive. The line is considered a classic by some.

Fuji has always seemed like an odd brand to me. They build what looks like nice bikes, but the don't really distinguish themselves in either price or features.

I do really like my Fuji mountain bike, but partly because my brother built it from a bare frame before he died. Super nice bike.
Old 09-25-20, 04:56 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
They look solid, but (as is stupidly common on brands' websites) they don't tell the price. I checked the "TX-800 Anderswo" and it's £2,639. Who knows, maybe the one I bought won't be the last after all
yea you need to move to 300-500 range any of the 800 range are 1800 and up