Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

arthritic wrist handlebar

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 03:57 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 117 Posts

Hey all,
I'm looking for advice on a handlebar that will put me in a more upright position with less stress on my wrists.
I have a bone on bone arthritic left wrist.
I'm currently riding Nitto Noodles for the last few years.
I ride fixed gear almost exclusively.
I live in an area where I still have to climb a bit, so I need a bar that is not just for cruising.
I see that Nitto has some swept back bars that might work, but I have not ridden this type of bar since childhood.
I'd like to hear some advice from those with experience.
Thanks much in advance,
Byron
Old 09-13-20, 04:06 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
I have been trying out trekking or butterfly handlebars on my Clunker 100 Challenge bike - 1982 Bridgestone Regulus that did not have handlebars when I bought it. Not sure how to link it but perhaps: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ition-6-a.html and the photos with the new bars are on the 9th page (I think) try here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ion-6-a-9.html

I like drop bars and I do not find the butterfly bars a good replacement, but that is partly because they are too upright and too much like multiple upright bars, which might be just what you are seeking.

Good luck.

-Will
Old 09-13-20, 05:12 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Not arthritic, but have suffered from long term tennis elbow in the past. I found that Velo Orange Porteur bars with a long stem work really well for me - the grips are just off parallel, and this takes all the stress out of my hands/wrists/forearms/elbows.
I've just started a build with steel Porteur bars that came from a low-end Motobecane. I'm going to use Tektro inverse brake levers and the bike has downtube shifters, so the bars will be open to more hand positions.
Old 09-13-20, 05:37 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
Nitto Albatross & North Road bars are similar. On the Albatross, the handles go straight back from the bar at almost a 90 degree angle, whereas on the North Road, slightly flared to the outside. Either of these might be a good fit.

I also have a Surly Open bar which is a different design, even more flared to the outside than the North Road. This might be too aggressive for your riding position, though, as we're getting into mustache bar territory.
Old 09-13-20, 06:11 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I too suffer from joint pain and never have I found a cockpit that was as comfortable as this...

Old 09-13-20, 06:35 PM
bironi
bironi

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 117 Posts
That might be the ticket, and the cheapest experiment.
Old 09-13-20, 07:17 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
That might be the ticket, and the cheapest experiment.
I have tried a few different handlebar styles and those Mavic bullhorns coupled with the aero levers proved to be exceptional. Other trials include...

Motobecane with upright bars proved to be pretty darn good also but lacked the feel that I most like...

Mustache bars? Pooey-Stinko..!

Drop bars are still my way to go but I do not fool myself into thinking that they are the cat's meow. However, Brifters allow me to assume a position very close to that of the bullhorn set-up. This is comfortable and easy to use...

Old 09-13-20, 09:44 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I do not have your problem, but I really like the bar extensions I put on my mountain bike. These provide a relaxing, neutral wrist orientation.

Just tryin' to keep up with my grandsons in last year's 4th of July parade in their neighborhood. I figured the red-white-and-blue Schwinn, purchased from a San Diego firefighter, is always appropriate on national holidays.

I have padded grips on the bars and also on the extensions, and I always wear full-finger padded gloves, as well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-13-20, 11:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, swept bars. I've been riding Nitto Albatross bars on one hybrid for a couple of years, after being hit by a car, breaking and dislocating my shoulder. The swept bar was much more comfortable than the riser and flat bars I'd been using. More hand positions, almost as versatile as drop bars. There's a good reason swept bars have been popular for decades. Turns out they're very functional.
Old 09-13-20, 11:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by bironi
Hey all,
I'm looking for advice on a handlebar that will put me in a more upright position with less stress on my wrists.
I have a bone on bone arthritic left wrist.
I'm currently riding Nitto Noodles for the last few years.
I ride fixed gear almost exclusively.
I live in an area where I still have to climb a bit, so I need a bar that is not just for cruising.
I see that Nitto has some swept back bars that might work, but I have not ridden this type of bar since childhood.
I'd like to hear some advice from those with experience.
Thanks much in advance,
Byron
You may be wrestling with the bars too much with the fixie, have you tried an extended break from that yet?

Very little experience but have ridden a bit and some track.
Old 09-14-20, 05:10 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
I on four years of rheumatoid arthritis...

I have wide-ish Nitto Noodles but with a very upright and short stem on my road bike. But I have brake hoods and don't know if you do with a fixie.

However I much prefer my Koga Denham Bars which are similar to Velo Orange Crazy Bars. I also have Gusset Stasche Bars with very similar rear bend of the Koga Denham and think that they are great. They are much cheaper as well. Jones bars are similar in rear sweep as well but I haven't ridden them.

If you want swept back, look for something around 700mm wide with a 30-35 deg sweep back. Then tilt them down 5 deg. Feels so good that you may not really go back to anything else.

Also go to Whatbars.com, and you can play around for hours with various bars that you can put on your bike. Good luck.
Old 09-14-20, 05:19 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
A couple of pics of those bars...

First is the Koga Denham and second is the Gusset Stasche. Forgot to say, don't forget comfy grips. Super important.

Old 09-14-20, 02:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, comfy grips. I like the ergo style grips with palm shelf to support the base of the hand/wrist. Mine are cheap but functional and don't twist around much. Ergon brand grips are better with a locking collar to prevent twisting.

They look a little odd at first glance on a swept bar like my Nitto Albatross, but are so comfy I don't care how it looks.
Old 09-14-20, 02:36 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
I have pain in my wrists and have found low rise Northroad bars to be very comfy with the cushioned grips mentioned here. I still position my bars low because the trick for me is to get my stomach muscles to take the weight off my arms, even with a sprung saddle. A variety of wrist braces are also used when riding.