Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What should I do with my Trek 990 Frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 03:07 PM
MrAwesome

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Hopefully, this can be a fun exercise...

I can't remember what year it is, but somewhere in the mid-'90's. I bought this bike almost 20 years ago now. Used Trek 990. I always wanted one and after about 10 years, it was finally in my price range! I don't know what the color is called but it's a dark grey pewter looking color. The frame is pretty beat up, but no dents that I can see and even if there are some minor dents, it shouldn't matter anyway because it's steel. I took it apart immediately after I got it, with plans to build it back up with current components and parts. So... that never happened...

I've gone back and forth between building a 69er, fat bike, cyclocross/gravel frankenbike, road-ish-beater-fun-bike, e-Bike or just building it up as a vintage-style hard-tail with newer components. I'm planning to get a full-suspension bike very soon (and I already have a slightly newer hard-tail MTB in working condition), so it won't get used off-road very much. I already have a steel FG/SS for road and I might eventually get a road/fitness bike, so it won't get used as a road bike very much. This bike doesn't fit anywhere except for something fun and maybe a little weird (also a fun project). I would hate to get rid of it because it's sought-after tubing and in decent condition if I get a paint job. I thought about putting 700c or 29" (or 27.5") wheels on it and adding a disc mount to the rear to make that work, but not sure if the geo would get thrown off too much if I did.

Since most of the original parts are really used up or gone, I can't just throw it back together to sell it as a full bike and I assume it isn't worth much as just a frame; I can't figure out what to do with it. Is it worth building up as a restored vintage, steel, hard-tail MTB or is it better to turn into a SS, fun, "grocery-getter"...? Will newer MTB components even fit? Should I make it into something cool and/or weird, or is this something that is better off in someone else's garage for the next 20 years? I can't decide...
Old 04-27-20, 03:43 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Go through the drop bar and upright MTB threads and do that. What original parts do you still have?
Old 04-27-20, 03:43 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Rule of the Internet:

pix or it didn’t happen.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 04-27-20, 04:34 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Wind chimes?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-27-20, 06:20 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
+1 on the drop-bar conversion, especially if it's a larger size frame. Narrowish tires and you'll have a sturdy but lightweight do anything bike. Those are wonderful frames. Definitely needs to be put to use.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 04-28-20, 08:59 AM
MrAwesome

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I have most of the parts, but as I mentioned in the OP, they are very thoroughly used. The fork would work but if I'm doing a conversion like this, it would be best to get a new rigid fork. The wheels are on another bike, so I would need a new wheelset. I have bars and stems that I could use. The old cranks and BB would probably work OK, but I'm sure, at least the BB, would need to be replaced soon.

I like the ideas though. I was originally just thinking 700c, but not sure about geo which, aside from money, was why I haven't done it yet. I think I'll finally start gathering parts and see where this takes me.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-28-20, 09:56 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Seeming endless supply of worthy donor MTBs around here. Just aim for a good one.