Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

exchanging Shimano cassettes ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 03:38 PM
SwampGrinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Greetings. Thanks in advance for any input.

I have a GRX 1x11 drivetrain. I would like to replace the current CS-M7000-11 (11-42T) cassette with a CS-HG800-11 (11-34T) cassette. Am I correct in thinking this is a straight-up 1 for 1 exchange; no shims, or other alterations needed and the new cassette is compatible with the rest of the drivetrain? The RD is a RX812 and the crankset is an FC-RX600.

I have never removed / installed a cassette before. The videos make it look pretty easy and I am reasonably proficient - but if anyone wants to offer any tips, tricks, or things I should be aware of before starting, I would gratefully read them!

Backstory, if you are interested: This is for a new gravel bike (Giant Revolt Advanced 1). Coming from MTBs with 1x systems, I thought this was the way to go with the gravel bike. I will admit now that I see the point of the 2x systems. I did not mind the gear jumps on the MTB, but it is noticeable and slightly annoying on the gravel bike. However, I exclusively ride this bike in the flat coastal plain (can't find a real hill if you tried), so I think a very workable solution is to switch the cassette and stay with the 1x system that I otherwise love and would prefer to stick with.
Old 08-29-20, 04:01 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
The HG 800 and HG 700 (nearly the same Ultegra vs 105) are oddities in that they are 11 spd cassettes designed
to fit on 8-9-10 speed freehubs. They are shipped with the spacer needed if used on an 11spd freehub. Should be
in the box with the cassette. Put the spacer on first, then the rest of the cassette. As per Shelby, the lockring when
tightened has 'click stops', it has been a while and I always use a torque wrench, but you need to tighten it up 5-6 clicks
and then maybe one more click, it takes a bit of effort.

Well Shelby's post is gone, but he also mentioned the probable need to shorten the chain as well, by 3-4". If the
chain has more than 2000 or so miles on it, it may be too worn for the new cassette. Check chain for wear also.

Last edited by sch; 08-29-20 at 04:10 PM.
Likes For sch:
Old 08-29-20, 04:58 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
ell Shelby's post is gone, but he also mentioned the probable need to shorten the chain as well, by 3-4". If the
chain has more than 2000 or so miles on it, it may be too worn for the new cassette. Check chain for wear also.
It is not strictly necessary to shorten the chain; presumably the system shifted the 34T and smaller cogs of the original cassette just fine. But a shorter chain my give a little faster shifting; the difference may or may not be noticeable. I like to keep chains and cassettes together as a set; sch's suggestion of a new chain may have merit.
Old 08-29-20, 06:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I wouldn't shorten the chain just yet. Nor do you need to.
One can make a case that you spread the "work" over more links. A link spends X time working and Y time idling. More links means a greater % idle time.
I don't know if you're done on your quest, but what if you decide you really want a 36T cog. You may have already decided that maybe you want to go smaller?
Maybe split the diff between what you have and what you can shorten?
Just no need to rush into anything yet. You are "safe" cutting nothing.
Old 08-29-20, 06:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3673 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,759 Posts
Sorry for any confusion. I deleted my post because I'd forgotten about the 34T cassette/spacer issue. Stupid on my part, especially since I have one.... 42T to 34T is a pretty big reduction. If your chain is flopping around you need to make it shorter.
Old 08-29-20, 07:01 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sorry for any confusion. I deleted my post because I'd forgotten about the 34T cassette/spacer issue. Stupid on my part, especially since I have one.... 42T to 34T is a pretty big reduction. If your chain is flopping around you need to make it shorter.
The GRX has a clutch and since it is within the range of the original cassette no problem with length and no floppy. Clamp it on and all good.
Old 08-29-20, 07:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3673 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,759 Posts
Good to know the clutch can take up that much extra chain
Old 08-29-20, 07:22 PM
SwampGrinder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all for the quick and helpful replies!
No, I am perhaps not done with my search, so I will leave chain length as if for now. But if it seems floppy, it is easy enough to shorten later.
SCH mentioned using a torque wrench. I've got one - anybody know what the recommended torque is?

Last edited by SwampGrinder; 08-29-20 at 07:24 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-29-20, 07:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampGrinder
...anybody know what the recommended torque is?
Did you look at the Lock Ring? It's usually marked.
Old 08-30-20, 02:11 PM
SwampGrinder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Did you look at the Lock Ring? It's usually marked.
Good to know. Thanks! I have not yet purchased the cassette - wanted ask folks here whether if was compatible before ordering (since it is not available anywhere local to me). But I am now keen to get it and see how it changes the ride.
Old 08-30-20, 04:54 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Caveat: maybe I've been doing it wrong.

With road/gravel wheels I use a spacer with the Shimano 11-speed MTB cassettes (between freehub body and largest sprocket), but remove the spacer when installing a road cassette, like the 11-34.