Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie or Single Speed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixie or Single Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 03:13 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dsh
General consensus is that larger cogs/chainrings (given the same ratio) slightly reduces drivetrain wear. Whether or not this is true, or noticeable... I'm not sure.
It is true and it's noticeable - especially on the chain wear/elongation.
Old 07-29-09, 04:05 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
fixed gear, front brake for road
single speed for mtb
Old 07-29-09, 04:59 PM
Hewp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed, if youve been riding a long time, you will embrace the complete change bike riding
Old 07-30-09, 10:51 AM
nutcase

Bikes: 2010 jamis commuter 2, Schwinn Roxie w/ springer front end, Schwinn OCC Chopper ss, Trek 4100 mtb,Trek ZX 6000 mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ss
Old 07-30-09, 11:10 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Did someone say fixie?
Fixed gear with front brake gets my vote.

Old 07-30-09, 07:16 PM
Plecks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoingtoSpaceBRB
I would be very impressed if anyone with a single speed rides in San Fran. I can't imagine how strong you have to be to get up those hills at a reasonable pace. Unbelievable.

If you use gears, fine. You're human. But no gears? A single speed up steep San Fran... you must have murderous intent. Very impressive.
As far as I know, there's actually a fairly big fixed gear following in San Fransisco. How many of them actually ride them, I don't know.

To the OP, I have a Mark V Pro with a 17t/19t fixed/free flipflop, 46t chainwheel, and it works great in Seattle which is pretty hilly (on the fixed most of the time, unless I'm getting tired and still in a hilly area).

Have a front brake.
Old 07-30-09, 07:24 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Its a personal choice my friend.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 07-30-09, 08:09 PM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fixed with a front brake.

Ride with a 39t chainring and a 17t cog, or a 44t chainring and a 19t cog, for 60-61 gear inches.

Forget about skidding, learn to stop by back pedaling, and use the brake for safety while learning.

Frankly, and with all respect for single-speed riders, I don't understand single-speeds.

They look like a broken fixed gear bike.

Coasting has no value that I can see, although back in my geared bike days, coasting somehow seemed desireable.

Nowadays, riding a bike that coasts would give me the creeps.

I think most single-speed riders would choose fixed if they would only make a two day commitment to fixed gear.

As for flip-flop fixed/single-speed bikes, that REALLY has me wondering.
Old 07-31-09, 07:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
I've been quiet, but I think I'll say this now. I think skid stops are kinda dumb. They display impressive strength and skill, but it's not a very smart way to stop. Brakes work better. So the only advantage of skid stops is that they show off your skill. Oh, there's another: it builds and maintains strength. But that seems like a bad time to do so. When you need to stop, you should get serious.

I don't object to people developing the skill or even using it where it's adequate, but relying on it while not having a brake seems foolhardy to me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-31-09, 07:21 AM
devilz

Bikes: dolan fixie, building a CF ss racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a dolan fixie which i love to bits, building a single speed for long distance ride enjoyment. go to your local bike shop and try both for a good hour or so, then you will fall in love with or the other.. gears are for pu**ies !
Old 07-31-09, 07:22 AM
devilz

Bikes: dolan fixie, building a CF ss racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you go for fixie try a ratio of 48 by 18 , its fast, easy uphill and dont wear out ur teeth as much !
Old 07-31-09, 08:12 AM
robotkiller

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Cox

Coasting has no value that I can see, although back in my geared bike days, coasting somehow seemed desireable.
If you can't see the value of bombing down hills with a freewheel or railing tight turns that would normally cause a pedal strike then you haven't been riding enough.

Each has their benefits and drawbacks. I choose SS.
Old 07-31-09, 08:18 AM
paulismydog
oops

Bikes: peter mooney, spot, yeti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am new to fixed gear, veteran single speeder, and am intrigued by it's differences...learning slowly....but there's still nothing like slalom coasting down a big hill....thank god for flip flop hubs and mini wrenches....
Old 07-31-09, 08:44 AM
MysticRats
aNYthing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I likes goin downhill at 40mph on an ss...scuured to go faster.
Old 07-31-09, 10:54 AM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has been proved somewhere (I can't find it), but from experience I know it to be true:
A fixed-gear drivetrain has a distinct advantage on hills. Your cranks are coming around behind you, helping out on every revolution. For all but the most murderous hills, this actually makes it easier to climb on a fixed gear. (It doesn't mean that you'll always be in the gear you want. But you will hit a groove and blow by almost everybody else on the hill.)
This is not true with a freewheel. Climbing the Manhattan Bridge on a singlespeed with a tall gear (say 48x16), frankly, is a drag. HOWEVER, if you ride in heavy traffic and have ever found yourself picking your way between a car and a curb, it's nice not to have to keep turning the cranks.

Both are great commuting bikes, but fixed gear is more of a game in traffic, and a very fun one. It's also cooler, which is why so many singlespeed riders foolishly opt to dump the rear brake, I guess.

Go with the flipflop hub, as many suggest, but I bet once you get accustomed to the fixed side, you won't go back. I didn't.

A word about skidding! I was very proud to have taught myself to skid. Very impressive and a great skill to have in an emergency. Unfortunately, my gear ratio was 48x16, which left me with exactly one skid patch. Meaning that I essentially wore down my tire in the exact same spot with every skid until one day, the tube was almost bursting through the tire's fibers like an aneurysm.

Good luck.

PS: As for the people who feel that a freewheel feels broken after riding fixed? Alas, it's your pedal stroke that's broken. You've become accustomed to the cranks kicking your feet around rather than doing it yourself.
Old 07-31-09, 05:59 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also climb better on my fixed gear, seems easier to me for some reason. When you think about it, the rear wheel is spinning, and as a result it spins the hub and cog in the direction you're pedalling, so it has to give some positive effect.
Old 08-01-09, 05:14 PM
Muttley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I set up my Steamroller as a fixie, the simplicity appealed to me. It was fun to ride fixed, changing speed was done without conscious thought. That said, riding down big hills SUCKED (especially when my feet got bounced off of the pedals.... Bunny hopping big pavement heaves and potholes SUCKED.

Put on a coaster hub and loved it... a coaster brake stops much better than backpedaling.

My $0.02.
Muttley
Old 08-01-09, 05:52 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by paulismydog
but there's still nothing like slalom coasting down a big hill....thank god for flip flop hubs and mini wrenches....
Being new to fixed gears I feel the same way about booking it down a hill at a high cadence, without the slaloming. I had my fun coasting 50mph on my road bike, I won't go down those sorts of hills on my FG but I find it thrilling to climb and bomb all the hills around the city pedaling my ass off .

Originally Posted by aMull
I also climb better on my fixed gear, seems easier to me for some reason. When you think about it, the rear wheel is spinning, and as a result it spins the hub and cog in the direction you're pedalling, so it has to give some positive effect.
the bike pedals itself, we're just making sure it doesn't stop
Old 08-02-09, 08:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
muttley, did you have toe clips? Fixed gear without foot retention seems like asking for trouble.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-02-09, 12:06 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Muttley
Put on a coaster hub and loved it... a coaster brake stops much better than backpedaling.

My $0.02.
Muttley
a front brake stops much better than a coaster brake
Old 08-02-09, 04:36 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
And has less friction when the brakes aren't engaged.
Old 08-02-09, 05:02 PM
ShaneRidesBikes

Bikes: Dawes SST <3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Plecks
As far as I know, there's actually a fairly big fixed gear following in San Fransisco. How many of them actually ride them, I don't know.

To the OP, I have a Mark V Pro with a 17t/19t fixed/free flipflop, 46t chainwheel, and it works great in Seattle which is pretty hilly (on the fixed most of the time, unless I'm getting tired and still in a hilly area).

Have a front brake.
Tis' true.

I see fixed gears every time I'm in San Francisco. I've seen some pretty gnarly hill climbs/descents.

Check out Mash SF for some videos of fixed gear riding in San Francisco.
Old 08-04-09, 11:10 AM
ALaS
click. click click.

Bikes: Leader 725TR https://velospace.org/node/23532

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote goes to BOTH (flip flop hub)
Old 08-04-09, 06:38 PM
Muttley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
My bike has a drum front brake and a coaster rear. Stops great. And the powder-coated rims still look great, too.
Old 08-04-09, 06:40 PM
Muttley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
And has less friction when the brakes aren't engaged.
Not mine. I have a Velosteel coaster and the valve-stem weight is enough to rotate the wheel (assuming the wheel is off the ground....)
Muttley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.