Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

can you help me find a handlebar bag with an extender?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-18-10, 05:45 PM
newyorker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an old Motobecane road bike. There are brake grips (not sure if this is the right word) on the handlebar whose ends are about 7 inches apart. So it is not practical to have a decent size bag that will simply strap onto the handlebars.

What I used to have (before my previous bike was lost) and would love to find again is a bike bag that comes with a metal extender (again, not sure if this is the right word). This was a piece of aluminum that you slipped around the central post supporting the handlebars. It had two metal prongs sticking out about 4 or 5 inches. The bike bag had sleeves on the side that you could slide the prongs into.

Once strapped in, the bag was well in front of the brake grips and the top of the bag was even with the handlebars. A little clunky, but it allowed me to carry some needed items in there.

Does this still product still exist? Does anyone know where to find it? Any help would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old 01-19-10, 06:55 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
bicycle handle bar bags

What you describe I believe is an old Cannondale handle bar bag. I do not know if any body makes that particular design anymore. But rest assured there is a wide variety of handlebar bags on the market to meet every budget and every need. The following links are to a super nice one that I wish I could buy(below) and to one I own that is pretty decent (above). Just search for bicycle handle bar bags.

https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/..._Handlebar_Bag

https://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/sm_....asp?fl=1&site=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shb_2.jpg (34.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by zebede; 01-19-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 07:08 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.velo-orange.com/rackaleur.html
Old 01-20-10, 11:12 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
What you describe I believe is an old Cannondale handle bar bag. I do not know if any body makes that particular design anymore. But rest assured there is a wide variety of handlebar bags on the market to meet every budget and every need. The following links are to a super nice one that I wish I could buy(below) and to one I own that is pretty decent (above). Just search for bicycle handle bar bags.

https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/..._Handlebar_Bag

https://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/sm_....asp?fl=1&site=
That was my first thought also. I had one 25 years ago, I also have one now, gotta love e-bay.
FWIW, the old Cannondale bar bag mounts won't work with the new 1-1/8 threadless headsets.
At least it wouldn't work with mine.
Old 01-20-10, 06:23 PM
kabersch

Bikes: Scattante CFR Elite road bike and Schwin mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a Lone Peak Designs handlebar bag I had on my 1985 Trek 720. It had an aluminum bracket that fit over the handlebar/stem junction, then went down and came back up at an angle forward. There were sleeves on each side of the bag that slid on the upturned prongs. There was a small bungee cord go hole it so it wouldn't bounce around. The bungee cord hooked to D-rings on the bottom rear corners of the bag and looped around the head tube. This positioned the an inch or two away from the handlebars. I don't know if Lone Peak still does this with their large handlebar bag or not. Can't tell from the picture on the website (www.lonepeakpacks.com).
Old 01-21-10, 05:01 AM
coquearaujo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There're lots of bags with the Rixen & Kaul's "KLICKfix" system that i think it might work, and if it doesn't work, they also sell an extender so the bag sits further from the bar... I use a drop bar with cyclo-x inline levers also and i'm going to buy one of those.

Coque.