Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

bicycle tools.....are they different or just more expensive

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 12:07 PM
dolphin62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a park tool pedal wrench. I paid $14 for it, which is not a real bad price. The one thing I noticed is that my wrench from my router was the same size.So I really didn't need to buy one. The park tool is was a little better and heavy duty.

The question I have is this I want to buy a few more tools to do some basic maintaince work on my bike. I want to regrease and pack the cones on my wheels. I see park tool and other bike tool companys sell a wrench just for that purpose. Is there any thing special about bike tools or can I use wrenches that I might have that are the right sizes.

Tell me am I paying for the name of the tool because It has the title bicycle tool on it.
I don't mind spending the money if it's going to make a difference.
Old 09-29-11, 12:20 PM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a very broad question. Some tools overlap, some don't.

In the case of working on cones, you will likely need the right cone wrench, as it's difficult to find spanners that are thin enough to fit in there.

By the way, the pedal wrench you bought may just work for the cones if your cones are 15mm. If I'm correct, it has a low enough profile and I believe it will fit right in. Use an adjustable for the locknut.
Old 09-29-11, 12:22 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cone wrenches you need to buy from a bicycle parts company, unless you have time to cut your wrenches into thin slices.

Most bike specific tools are more expensive because they preform a specific task that a regular tool might not be able to do. For example, for cone wrench, you only really need the smaller one to fit the cone, you could just use a regular wrench for the lock nut.
Old 09-29-11, 12:32 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the cyclist tax is outrageous.

α
Old 09-29-11, 12:37 PM
dolphin62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanx....you have been a great help. It would make sence that specific tools for bikes.
Old 09-29-11, 01:16 PM
GMJ
Would you just look at it

Bikes: good ones.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.pedros.com/trixie.html

I bought that bad boy just because of convenience. For the majority of things I will need to wrench on the road, I think its got it covered. Its a small tool, so I can just throw in the bag or stick it in my pocket and go.

I probably could've gotten the same tools from my grandpas old toolbox, but it was worth it for me to just shell out the cash for that thing.
Old 09-29-11, 02:06 PM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Tbh, I totally hate that thing and wish I never walked into a LBS looking for a lockring tool and getting suckered into buying that instead, lol.
Old 09-29-11, 02:09 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why? Doesn't the lockring tool work?
Old 09-29-11, 02:27 PM
adriano 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that works fine as a lockring tool.

i bought a set of metric allen keys for two bucks at a hardware store. park would charge 12 plus probably.

α
Old 09-29-11, 02:42 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Harbor freight ftw.
Old 09-29-11, 03:18 PM
Verbose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yummygooey
Harbor freight ftw.
+1
Old 09-29-11, 03:26 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Just because a tool says Park does not mean that it the best you can get... I treasure my old Sugino cone wrenches as unlike Park cone wrenches, they are not made of cheese.

Filzer makes a fairly decent line of tools that is reasonably priced and in my experience in a shop environment found they hold up very well.
Old 09-29-11, 03:38 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Verbose
+1
Though I must say you can certainly tell the tools aren't of the best quality. They're cheap, though, and should be good enough for the home mechanic.

If it's bike specific like a bottom bracket tool or cone wrenches, I'll just buy the Park or Pedro's stuff.
Old 09-29-11, 03:57 PM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Why? Doesn't the lockring tool work?
Sure does, I would just way rather have Hozan lockring pliers or something. Because honestly, I don't use the trixie for anything else, and it's a bit uncomfortable on the hands.
Old 09-29-11, 07:29 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Filzer makes a fairly decent line of tools that is reasonably priced and in my experience in a shop environment found they hold up very well.
Our co-op haves a bunch of Filzer stuff as well, I think it was a donation from MEC and they could take quite the beating.
Old 09-29-11, 08:25 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Just because a tool says Park does not mean that it the best you can get... I treasure my old Sugino cone wrenches as unlike Park cone wrenches, they are not made of cheese.
+1 Not saying that Park is not a respected brand with hard earned fame in the bike world, but I actually prefer my set of sugino BB tools. And hozan spanners for my lockrings and a shimano DA chain whip.
Old 09-30-11, 12:44 AM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shop tools make the job easier.

Given that, it is possible to work on a bike with regular house hold tools, and ingenuity.
Old 09-30-11, 01:24 AM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think bike-specific tools are outrageously priced. They seem to be priced the same way other tools are. Auto mechanic's tools, for instance, run the gamut of prices; cheap handyman crap that tends to wear and break quickly, up to expensive Snap-On or MAC tools that can cost a fortune. I'm just talking basic hand tools here, nothing specialty. In fact, when it comes to specialty items like bottom bracket tools, headset presses, face/chase cutters, and other shop tools, bike mechanics get away for a lot less than an auto mechanic would.

Of course, they don't get paid nearly as well.
Old 09-30-11, 08:34 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
there's a few things about tools you either know and appreciate, know and ignore, or don't know:

1. precision matters. tolerances in the tool production process vary greatly from high price tools to cheap ones, and a more expensive tool developed to more precise spec is almost always going to fit better, last longer, do the job more efficiently, and give you a good feel for what you're doing. you could use an adjustable wrench for every bolt, but it's not going to ever fit as well as a set of expensive high quality box wrenches like park or other nice tools. that means less rounded nuts, better feel in use, and longer lasting because there will always be more surface area contacting your hardware.

2. material choice is paramount: metal isn't all the same and good metal ain't cheap. harder, purer metal is going to last longer, be stronger, and be the right kind of metal for the job. if you don't know this from liking bikes then you are hopeless... they make different alloys for tools just like they make different alloys for bike frames, and for example, a park pedal wrench has 'spring steel' which helps it transfer a lot of torque because the metal is far more resilient and offers more return-flex (totally made that term up, there's a real term for it) than other metals. generally, cheaper tools are made from absolute **** steel that has lots of impurities and will bend and break FAR easier. it also means they can't make it as precise because it will change in the production process more than a nicer metal. i bought a ****ty chainwhip and the metal of the whip bent and broke before the chain broke. a park one won't do that.

3. design. you get higher quality rubber handles on better tools and other design features that make nicer tools nicer to use. more importantly, they're designed by companies that know what a job entails and design the tool to fit in a larger 'tool kit' that they offer for a job. have you ever seen a bike shop where the mechanic area is all jumbled cheap tools from lots of different companies? it's **** when you compare it to a glorious tool wall that is obviously a complete system of tools that were designed to be used together, hung up on the wall together, and form a comprehensive and cohesive canon of utility.

if you're person type 1, this all is worth the money if you have it to spend. if you're person type 2, you probably pay others to do at least some of your wrenching, or you really actually like rounding off bolts and using low quality things because it means you can save money. I would say that's not frugal, it's just cheap. you end up spending more in the long run because you buy tools multiple times and you cause damage more, and you can't get the job done (sometimes). and finally if you're person type 3, you just need to spend more time wrenching with these points in mind.

Only type 3 people would start a thread like this. Most of us are type 2 trying to be type 1... i never used to buy park because it's so expensive, but now i try not to buy anything lower quality than park.

Last edited by cc700; 09-30-11 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-30-11, 09:10 AM
vw02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
there's a few things about tools you either know and appreciate, know and ignore, or don't know:

1. precision matters. tolerances in the tool production process vary greatly from high price tools to cheap ones, and a more expensive tool developed to more precise spec is almost always going to fit better, last longer, do the job more efficiently, and give you a good feel for what you're doing. you could use an adjustable wrench for every bolt, but it's not going to ever fit as well as a set of expensive high quality box wrenches like park or other nice tools. that means less rounded nuts, better feel in use, and longer lasting because there will always be more surface area contacting your hardware.

2. material choice is paramount: metal isn't all the same and good metal ain't cheap. harder, purer metal is going to last longer, be stronger, and be the right kind of metal for the job. if you don't know this from liking bikes then you are hopeless... they make different alloys for tools just like they make different alloys for bike frames, and for example, a park pedal wrench has 'spring steel' which helps it transfer a lot of torque because the metal is far more resilient and offers more return-flex (totally made that term up, there's a real term for it) than other metals. generally, cheaper tools are made from absolute **** steel that has lots of impurities and will bend and break FAR easier. it also means they can't make it as precise because it will change in the production process more than a nicer metal. i bought a ****ty chainwhip and the metal of the whip bent and broke before the chain broke. a park one won't do that.
yes and yes. its the same thing w/ regular tools. wrenches from target or $2 hex wrenches from the hardware store will get the job done, but if you use them a lot, they will twist or break eventually. there's some tools like hex's you can get away with but some tools its good to spend the money. a nice pedal wrench is soooo worth it if your changing pedals a few times a month.

also remember, if you spend the money the first time, chances are you'll never have to again.
Old 09-30-11, 09:54 AM
Street rider
We win all charity rides

Bikes: BMX, fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vw02
if you spend the money the first time, chances are you'll never have to again.
Problem is, sometimes the money just ins't there when you really need the tool, and its hard to pony up when you have other expenses. Hell, just the other day I had to make some slight adjustments to my spokes, I used a small adjustable wrench and never even took the wheel off the bike. I built an entire wheel once only using a small adjustable like that and a flathead to do most of the work. Sometimes those expensive tools just aren't necessary.
Old 09-30-11, 10:00 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spoke wrenches are cheap though. There are some bike tools that make no sense whatsoever. What is up with the park chain wear measurer thing?
Old 09-30-11, 11:08 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
spoke wrenches are the ULTIMATE example of why precise, high quality material tools make a huge difference. use a park spoke wrench properly and you'll never round a nipple and true HUNDREDs of wheels if not thousands. misuse your tools or use the wrong size or have a cheap spoke wrench and you'll ruin a wheel. i've done it before i knew better(as a 2.)
Old 09-30-11, 11:13 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I meant that even higher-end spoke wrenches are not overly expensive and thus a good investment, not that they are cheap.

It is the chain wear measurer thing that I think is a bad investment.
Old 09-30-11, 11:17 AM
adriano 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you can use a green or black spoke wrench on most nipples. theyre two totally different sizes.

α

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.