Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NYC Century

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NYC Century

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 06:29 AM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYC Century

Anyone doing this? I'm planning on the 100 mile route. It's on Sunday Spet. 10th this year. Here's the info if you need it: https://nyccentury.org/
Old 08-30-06, 10:01 AM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky07
Anyone doing this? I'm planning on the 100 mile route. It's on Sunday Spet. 10th this year. Here's the info if you need it: https://nyccentury.org/
Have you done it?

I'm gun shy after the 5 Boro* Bike Tour.

* 5 Boro as in, five jackasses....
Old 08-30-06, 10:41 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, wife and I are riding it on our twin folders. This will be I think now my fourth consecutive time, though only second on a folder (her second time, first on a folder). It's not like other centuries as the whole thing is within the city. There are some nice, long stretches on greenways (including in the Bronx) but a lot of it is starting and stopping for lights. I don't mind so much because I like to see the City, but not everybody likes that aspect. In any case, as you can tell by my repeat attendance, I highly recommend it! The rest stops are always excellent, BTW. Last year there were Krispy Kreme donuts at the first couple.
Old 08-30-06, 11:43 AM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oboe, you guys ride Speed Pro's right? I'll look for you...

Hambone, yes I'm doing the ride. In my opinion, the NYC Century isn't like the 5 Borough at all. The 5BBT is insanely crowded and pretty hairy. It seems like a large amount of people who NEVER ride their bikes pick that day to ride. I've done it twice and seen a ton of silly accidents. Still, it can be fun if you know what you're getting into...

The NYC Century is a very different ride. It attracts far fewer and generally more serious riders than the 5BBT. Although you've probably ridden a good part of the Brooklyn leg, the route takes you through parts of Queens & the Bronx that you might not see otherwise. The rest stops & rider support is very good. It's definitely worth doing.
Old 08-30-06, 12:00 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still planning to be there. Still planning to make it my first century.
Old 08-30-06, 12:19 PM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm doing it (the 100). I'm a marshall. I did it last year and each distance was longer than supposed to be (100 was like 118, 75 was 86 or so) this year they say theyv'e made the right adjustments. Also, the velodrome in Quees should be more respectful and all riders should be able to stop there and ride it if they like. Anyway, look for me on a dark blue madone, I'll have a marshall bib on. Not sure what I'll be wearing, but likely some OCP team kit, like FDJ or something. Pull up and say hi!
Old 08-30-06, 12:39 PM
zziggy12
Old School Steel Rules

Bikes: IF Single Speed, Colnago Super, 3Rensho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a great time last year. It is an easy century, well organized, and it is a great way to see NY, I rode it on a ss mtb.
Old 08-30-06, 12:47 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Lucky, paired SpeedPros assuming all is well mechanically with them at that point (they are finnicky machines). Kosherdave, I don't expect to see too many marshals riding a Madone so it should be easy to pick you out!

Glad to hear about the velodrome. I badly need a picture of me flying around the 'drome on my SpeedPro in my "Obree position" (well remeniscent of Obree's pre-Superman position).
Old 08-30-06, 02:12 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will look for the matched Speed Pros and the OCP Marshall.

Heh. I got some evil looks from the track bike kids hanging out at Kissena last year. I didn't take it personally. There were dozens of rec riders cruising around the track like it was a detour. I rode a couple of laps & went fast enough scare myself silly.
Old 08-30-06, 02:59 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's nothing like the 5bbbt.

The fact you are in traffic makes it harrowing at points but it's a great ride and the rest stops are great.

Tip: I would consider skipping the first stop at Prospect Park and only stop at the second stop at Floyd Bennet Field. If you ride regularly you really don't need to stop after 10-15 miles (ok, maybe 20) and it get's real crowded at stop 1. Also, you can beat the crowd to the second stop. Just my .02
Old 08-30-06, 03:52 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, but the KK donuts were at PP last year. When better to pig out than while burning 5000-7000 calories?
Old 08-30-06, 03:59 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the nyc century is actually better than the 5 boro tour then I will consider doing it. It really isn't the chaos I heard the boro tour was?
Anyways, what really bugs me about the nyc century tour is that they pick sunday the 11th of sep to do this. Why not this sunday the third that way we could have the 4th off from work to recover? That just bugs the hell out of me I tell ya.
Old 08-30-06, 04:15 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
Still planning to be there. Still planning to make it my first century.
while you are in town, there is some very good calamari to be had in the lovely borough of Brooklyn.

Two worthy mentions: Casa Calamari on 3rd Ave and 86th Street and the hero place on 9th Street in Park Slope. (Calamari in a fra diavlo sauce on a hero.) Not for the leader of a pace line but damn...)
Old 08-30-06, 04:16 PM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorer75
It's nothing like the 5bbbt.

The fact you are in traffic makes it harrowing at points but it's a great ride and the rest stops are great.

Tip: I would consider skipping the first stop at Prospect Park and only stop at the second stop at Floyd Bennet Field. If you ride regularly you really don't need to stop after 10-15 miles (ok, maybe 20) and it get's real crowded at stop 1. Also, you can beat the crowd to the second stop. Just my .02
is it a mass start?
Old 08-30-06, 06:13 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StalkerZERO
If the nyc century is actually better than the 5 boro tour then I will consider doing it. It really isn't the chaos I heard the boro tour was?
I've enjoyed the chaos of the last few BikeNY5B's.
I'm treating the NY100 like a large club ride.

Originally Posted by Hambone
is it a mass start?
Group starts staggered by the distance you're riding, and it sounds like show-and-go if you miss your group.

Originally Posted by Hambone
while you are in town, there is some very good calamari to be had in the lovely borough of Brooklyn...
TO EAT? What do I look like...a CANNIBAL?
(I'll be at my parents' place in Joisey, but thanks for the suggestions.)

Last edited by cc_rider; 08-30-06 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 08:04 PM
TheEmray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I asked this question in another thread about this ride, but I'm curious what people have to say about it that have actually ridden this before. I've signed up for this ride, never done it before, never ridden in NYC either. The website recommends using upright bikes for this ride (?!) I'm not doing the whole century, but I still couldn't imagine riding on anything other than my road bike.

For those that have done this ride, is it ok to be on a road bike for this ride or is it really necessary to use an upright bike?
Old 08-30-06, 08:21 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Emray, Road bikes are perfect for this ride.
Uprights? Maybe they're referring to Recumbents? I can see why they mights discourage those bikes since the route does travel through city streets, but you'll see plenty of them on the route anyway. Along with track bikes, old 3 speeds, cruisers, etc, etc. Overall the route is pretty flat. Some hills, but nothing of note.

I did the 100 last year & it was great. The ride begins at the north border of Central Park at 110th St. There is a staggered start (100 milers 1st) and the route takes you south through Manhattan. Down past City Hall & over the Brooklyn Bridge. That was a highlight for me last year. The sun coming up as I was going over the bridge. Beautiful. Into Prospect Park and then west out to Coney Island. North to Queens where you'll pass through the old World's Fair site. The north & west through the Bronx, and finally south back to Manhattan & Central Park.
Old 08-30-06, 08:23 PM
bklyn74

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10, Moser "Special", RIP- early/mid 90's Zullo "Sprint" (ultegra grouppo, stronglight crankset), 04 Bianchi Pista (stock except for the saddle, front break and pedals)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheEmray
For those that have done this ride, is it ok to be on a road bike for this ride or is it really necessary to use an upright bike?
by all means ride your road bike. i'm not sure why they rec. using an upright bike.

i did the 100 mi (more like 110) route last year and it's one of the most fun things i've done in nyc. i went to so many places in the boros i'd never been before.

last year was my first century so i don't have any real frame of reference, but the route was well marked for the most part, the support was good and the event overall was well organized.

i just hope the weather this year is as perfect as it was last year. . .
Old 08-30-06, 09:27 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done it a couple of times on a road bike. Didn't you notice kosherdave posting that he'll be riding his Madone? (FYI, that's a top-end Trek road bike)
Old 08-30-06, 09:49 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Who wants to treat this like a race?
Old 08-30-06, 10:21 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I just signed up for it today. First time for me. I haven't been on the bike in over 3 weeks now, with the weather this week, and vacation the 2 prior weeks. I hope I haven't lost my fitness. I'll have to get out this weekend. At least it is a fairly easy ride, if 100 miles is ever really easy. It should be pretty flat except for a few hillier parts of the Bronx.

I looked at the map and there aren't more than a handful of places on the ride I've never done, most of those being in Queens.

I'll be on a black Kuota Kredo.

And I won't be racing. Maybe for the ENY Century in October I'll be up for that.
Old 08-30-06, 10:27 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What the hell is the ENY century?
Old 08-30-06, 10:35 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Who wants to treat this like a race?
You do, but we all knew that already.
Old 08-31-06, 04:48 AM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
What the hell is the ENY century?

Escape New York Century, I believe. Last year I think it fell on the same day (or close to) as the MS Ride.
Old 08-31-06, 12:55 PM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StalkerZERO
Anyways, what really bugs me about the nyc century tour is that they pick sunday the 11th of sep to do this. Why not this sunday the third that way we could have the 4th off from work to recover? That just bugs the hell out of me I tell ya.
I think it's actually sunday the 10th, but still, a good point. And it is a good ride. FYI, the reason it is thru live traffic is to show people how cyclists and cars can interact successfully. That's the goal at least

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.