Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Texting. Does anybody else feel this way? A rant.

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Texting. Does anybody else feel this way? A rant.

Old 02-22-11, 12:09 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
Another thing that bothers me.....

what the heck are 10-14 year old kids doing with a cell phone********** I didn't have access to a cell phone until I was 14 and that was one I was only allowed to take when I was traveling on a sports team. I was only allowed to call home to arrange for my ride to pick me up. Most of my friends were in the same situation. I didn't have a cell phone of my very own until my senior year of high school. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't all that long ago.... 10 years. Things have definitely changed. Then again, kids the age I'm talking about are also running around bebopping to taylor swift singing about things done under the bleachers. So, I guess things have changed.
lol I know the feeling. We've got neighbor kids who have had cell phones since they were 7 years old.

I have a 10 and 8 year old. They don't even bother asking, since my answer of "You can have one when you can pay for it" means it's going to be a very, very long time before they get one.
Old 02-22-11, 12:11 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what the heck are 10-14 year old kids doing with a cell phone********** I didn't have access to a cell phone until I was 14 and that was one I was only allowed to take when I was traveling on a sports team. I was only allowed to call home to arrange for my ride to pick me up. Most of my friends were in the same situation. I didn't have a cell phone of my very own until my senior year of high school. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't all that long ago.... 10 years. Things have definitely changed. Then again, kids the age I'm talking about are also running around bebopping to taylor swift singing about things done under the bleachers. So, I guess things have changed.
Lol yep. Massive culture change in the last 10-15 years.
Old 02-22-11, 12:38 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Do I mind if I [strike]smoke[/strike] text? No. Do you mind if I FART?
Old 02-22-11, 12:47 PM
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what the heck are 10-14 year old kids doing with a cell phone**********

A few years back there was a cell phone ad where a woman gave her teenboy a cell phone and explained he could use it to call her up any time.

"Can I call you just to talk?" He asked.
"Yes" she said "Just to talk."

Thing was, the woman was portrayed as a business executive type. I recall wondering what sort of message that would send to her colleagues if she were in the middle of a business meeting and her kid called, not for any emergency, but "Just to talk." I suspect her name would go straight to the top of the "People to be considered for the next round of layoffs" list.

Not to mention, what kind of pansy must that teenager be to need 24/7 access to his Mommy?
Old 02-22-11, 12:55 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell View Post
A few years back there was a cell phone ad where a woman gave her teenboy a cell phone and explained he could use it to call her up any time.

Thing was, the woman was portrayed as a business executive type. I recall wondering what sort of message that would send to her colleagues if she were in the middle of a business meeting and her kid called, not for any emergency, but "Just to talk." I suspect her name would go straight to the top of the "People to be considered for the next round of layoffs" list.

Not to mention, what kind of pansy must that teenager be to need 24/7 access to his Mommy?
My guess is that teenagers would be utterly happy not to be tethered to Mom and Dad 24x7.

Observing fellow parents, however, who practically start calling out the swat team if the school bus is 10 minutes late, the opposite is not true.
Old 02-22-11, 02:13 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell View Post

Ads can show one thing but when people see it they think of another.
The first thing a kid thinks is not "hey i can call my parents" but instead "hey i can call / txt my friends"
The first thing a parent thinks is probably not "hey my kid can call me and 'just talk'" but more along the lines of, "if my kidd needs me or vice versa we can get ahold of each other"
Old 02-22-11, 02:18 PM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
I have a 10 and 8 year old. They don't even bother asking, since my answer of "You can have one when you can pay for it" means it's going to be a very, very long time before they get one.
So true. We have 1 extra phone for the kids that they will take when they have some after school function and need to call us to come get them or something like that. They know that they can get their own as soon as they have a job and can pay for it.

As for texting while talking to someone else, RUDE, RUDE, RUDE! That is telling the talker they are of no importance at all. Culture changes or not, manners will always matter. If it is an emergency, then you tell the speaker, "excuse me, my wife just texted me that my kid got run over so I need to text her back. Is that ok?" Emergency text? No such thing. If it is an emergeny, then they would call (which can be just as rude as texting if you don't say "excuse me, I need to get this". Of course, that is not popular among most people today because having manners means you are putting someone else's needs/wants ahead of your own.
Old 02-22-11, 02:36 PM
mulveyr 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazydad View Post
So true. We have 1 extra phone for the kids that they will take when they have some after school function and need to call us to come get them or something like that. They know that they can get their own as soon as they have a job and can pay for it.
Yep, I bought a $15 phone off of ebay and a pay-as-you-go SIM for my ( then ) 9-year-old to carry during our last bike tour, on the off-chance that me and my phone got smeared by a truck, so he could call 911 if necessary.

Originally Posted by Crazydad View Post
As for texting while talking to someone else, RUDE, RUDE, RUDE! That is telling the talker they are of no importance at all. Culture changes or not, manners will always matter. If it is an emergency, then you tell the speaker, "excuse me, my wife just texted me that my kid got run over so I need to text her back. Is that ok?" Emergency text? No such thing. If it is an emergeny, then they would call (which can be just as rude as texting if you don't say "excuse me, I need to get this". Of course, that is not popular among most people today because having manners means you are putting someone else's needs/wants ahead of your own.

I treat situations like that the same way I do call waiting; Unless someone has told me at the start of the call that they may break off in the middle, the moment someone uses call waiting on me, I hang up, and don't answer when they call back. If the conversation isn't important enough for them to continue, then it's not important for me either. Most people get the hint after the second or third time I do that.

I actually had someone use call waiting on me once when I was giving a phone interview. Needless to say, they didn't get the job.
Old 02-22-11, 03:09 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what the heck are 10-14 year old kids doing with a cell phone**********
Ask their mothers.
Old 02-22-11, 04:26 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
My daughter tried to text at the dinner table once, and only once.
So do y'all eat in the living room now?
Old 02-22-11, 04:31 PM
GP 

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's "texting"?
Old 02-22-11, 04:34 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Do I mind if I [strike]smoke[/strike] text? No. Do you mind if I FART?
lol
In essence that kind of simply sums up what I was trying to say. To many just "smoking" is rude, and yet to others that's completely normal, I might even dare say expected. Though I'm not sure if that mentality still exists today in 2011. In the 90s there seemed to be a bit of that.
Old 02-22-11, 04:35 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What's "texting"?
sexting foreplay
Old 02-22-11, 04:35 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What's "texting"?
It's this thing where you take words and put them in an evenlope and send them to somebody. But instead of a stamp or an envelope you use a cell phone.

Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
So do y'all eat in the living room now?
Old 02-22-11, 04:47 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Texting is rude if you are doing it while talking to someone else. It's not any ruder than taking a call though while you are with other people. If you get mad that people text in your presence at all you might have some attachment issues.
Old 02-22-11, 05:03 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish View Post
Texting is rude if you are doing it while talking to someone else. It's not any ruder than taking a call though while you are with other people. If you get mad that people text in your presence at all you might have some attachment issues.
Your statements seems to conflict one another slightly.
Old 02-22-11, 05:12 PM
mulveyr 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish View Post
If you get mad that people text in your presence, it definitely means you've been raised to expect people to be polite.
Old 02-22-11, 05:17 PM
RedRider2009

Bikes: 2008 Trek 1.5, 2010 Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can agree that I find texting/ unnecessary phone calls to be rude. Some of my friends have started to realize that I get pissed off. Like mentioned above, If I am talking and they decide to text, I just stop talking.

It is ridiculous that such young kids have cell phones, what the hell do they need them for? My parents got me a cell phone when I turned 16, and was starting to spend more time away from home. It most mostly for me to check in with them or call for help if needed. Now I am 19, barely use my cell, still do not have or feel the need to have texting. I have contemplated just leaving the phone at home all of the time because it really seems to add more stress to my life. However, then I consider issues like when my chain snapped while out for a bike ride. I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not carry a spare chain with me...
Old 02-22-11, 05:29 PM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do agree with just about every post in this thread. It's rude, in my opinion.

But, what's also true is that it has become accepted and is only going to get worse. Did anyone was the PBS flick on the hold that technology is having on society? The majority of colleges allow laptops in the classrooms, and most students are facebooking and doing other social activities while "listening" to the lectures. These kids are interviewed and see nothing wrong with it - they have adapted and are very comfortable with multitasking. This multitasking is their excuse to allow the rude behavior. They almost think it is harming them to get them to focus on one thing. They facebook on their laptop while texting on their phone and carrying on a conversation with the person they are sitting by (who are doing the same). It was fairly shocking to see, but it really is the way the next generations is being brought up. We either accept it, enter into dialog to reach a mutual understanding, or isolate ourselves from that generation.
Old 02-22-11, 05:31 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
If you get mad that people text in your presence, it definitely means you've been raised to expect people to be polite.
Ok so at a dinner party, or something formal like Church. I think it's rude. But just hanging out with friends not doing anything in particular... or at a party. I don't think it's rude.
Old 02-22-11, 05:54 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find some peoples' reactions to be outrageous. It's like telling men in the 1850s that one day women would vote, drive cars and hold jobs and even run for President. Or that there would be no separate fountains for black people. or that Corsets would no longer be the norm for women. or that flip-flops would be a norm for workplace wear for many places.

Txting has been around for a long time. Yes, like anything it can be abused but seriously, half of the responses are off the wall and are reminiscent of every single culture's reaction to "change" that I've read.

"kids can't communicate with other kids because they're 10 and that's 'underage'" because I say it's underage and I discriminate against age. You have to be THIS OLD, Or THIS tall, OR THIS SEX, or THIS COLOR or THIS race or FROM THIS IVY LEAGUE COLLAGE to do something.

I think both sides of the the fence need some sensitivity and politeness classes. Know when it's appropriate to text, know when it's not appropriate to text. Know when it's appropriate to discriminate against somebody and be offended by them because they do something and when it's not.
Old 02-22-11, 06:12 PM
bjtesch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 1839 we had wires that ran along railroad tracks. On one end of the wire a person would tap a message into a small device, on the other end of the wire a person would watch their little device and read the message. Then 37 years later we learned to send voice transmissions through the wire. Now 120 years later and we are back to tapping messages into one little device and someone elsewhere reads the messages with their other little device. If you need to communicate with someone, why not just use the telephone and call them. You can say what you need to say and be done with it.

I think texting in front of people is rude, I also think having a phone conversation in a group of people is rude. Step away and do your communicating if you have to, and then come back. If voice communication isn't possible then why not send an email. You can do a lot more communicating in an email and it is easier for the recipient to get.

I may be the last person in the world that has a cellphone and doesn't text. I don't know how, I don't even know if my phone will do it. I'm probably going to be in trouble with my family now- my sister tried to send me a text today about something family-related and I couldn't receive it.
Old 02-22-11, 06:14 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-22-11, 06:16 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjtesch View Post
In 1839 we had wires that ran along railroad tracks. On one end of the wire a person would tap a message into a small device, on the other end of the wire a person would watch their little device and read the message. Then 37 years later we learned to send voice transmissions through the wire. Now 120 years later and we are back to tapping messages into one little device and someone elsewhere reads the messages with their other little device. If you need to communicate with someone, why not just use the telephone and call them. You can say what you need to say and be done with it.

I think texting in front of people is rude, I also think having a phone conversation in a group of people is rude. Step away and do your communicating if you have to, and then come back. If voice communication isn't possible then why not send an email. You can do a lot more communicating in an email and it is easier for the recipient to get.

I may be the last person in the world that has a cellphone and doesn't text. I don't know how, I don't even know if my phone will do it. I'm probably going to be in trouble with my family now- my sister tried to send me a text today about something family-related and I couldn't receive it.
Well put and thank you. I too am one who does not text nor will I ever because I do not understand what is the point of sending words through a phone?
Old 02-22-11, 06:17 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjtesch View Post
In 1839 we had wires that ran along railroad tracks. On one end of the wire a person would tap a message into a small device, on the other end of the wire a person would watch their little device and read the message. Then 37 years later we learned to send voice transmissions through the wire.
Good point there. The reaction that some people had to telegeraphs, and then telephones was quite the same reaction that people are expressing today in this thread regarding a modern technology that has for many changed and revolutionized communicating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.