Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

another repaint thread: Spatter painting a bike frame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

another repaint thread: Spatter painting a bike frame

Old 06-13-11, 01:12 PM
  #1  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another repaint thread: Spatter painting a bike frame

I saw this bike on craigslist and fell in love. I want to emulate the paint job on my late 80s paramount - that has been repainted pink(ish) (powder coat i think, with a primer - the paint job is decent).






any one spatter painted a bike frame like this before? if so, care to share any techniques or tips?

Right now i'm thinking of using a stiff brush and dipping the bristles in the paint - then i'd using my fingers to go against the bristles and fling the paint onto the frame. I thought about spray paint, but not sure how to make it come out that course.

Also, any one know what type of paint might be best? I'm thinking enamel gloss - in 1/2 quart size cans. I cannot seem to find the colors i want though - so would be up for suggestions of what store to look in or where to find online. I'm thinking since the background is darkpinkish of going with bright green, light blue, white - and maybe dark blue and light purple. Yes, its sort of easter-y, but, hey, what can you do when you start with a pink background?

Finally, clear coat. I think it would be a good idea to clear coat afterward - i'll probably find some spray can stuff at the auto parts shop.
3373jones is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 01:17 PM
  #2  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,557

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jason Pollock called - he wants his bike back. On that note, It would be awesome to have a bike like this next to a LOOK in the Mondriaan livery.
Italuminium is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 02:22 PM
  #3  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium View Post
Jason Pollock called - he wants his bike back. On that note, It would be awesome to have a bike like this next to a LOOK in the Mondriaan livery.
yes, jackson* pollock inspired.
3373jones is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 02:26 PM
  #4  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 9,318

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 101 Times in 81 Posts
I have had a splatter painted bicycle for some time now. It is an eighties something Canadian made Proctor and, even though I do not really like the splatter effect, it does hide paint chips really well...


__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects". Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"
randyjawa is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 02:27 PM
  #5  
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training
 
20grit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rural Retreat, VA
Posts: 1,961

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've done it with water colors by dipping my brush, then flicking the shaft of the brush so it splashed color on the page. That technique probably wouldn't work with thicker paints though.
20grit is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 02:39 PM
  #6  
Alan Edwards
Senior Member
 
Alan Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lancaster,CA the desert north of Los Angeles
Posts: 701

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That paint job is wicked, white with red, blue, and yellow would be my choice. For custom plaster work I have used paint and plaster in a texture gun to get the same effect on a large scale for walls. For small scale you would have to set up a Passcha or other small paint sprayer to sputter or spit. You would use the same paint as the base just mixed thicker, not to much or you end up with runs or bumps.
Alan Edwards is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 03:33 PM
  #7  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Edwards View Post
That paint job is wicked, white with red, blue, and yellow would be my choice. For custom plaster work I have used paint and plaster in a texture gun to get the same effect on a large scale for walls. For small scale you would have to set up a Passcha or other small paint sprayer to sputter or spit. You would use the same paint as the base just mixed thicker, not to much or you end up with runs or bumps.
I actually agree with your color choices, but I have to start with a pink background - not going to get it painted white first.

and thanks for the painting tips... but i don't have a painting gun, compressor, or anything of the sort.

any one know where i might be able to find gloss enamel paint in odd colors?
3373jones is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 07:10 PM
  #8  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,686

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I'm an old school teacher of art and sometimes a student would want a similar effect. We found the most consistent method of achieving a splatter was an old toothbrush dipped in paint then holding the toothbrush in one hand, with the bristles facing upwards, flick the bristles with an index fingernail of the opposite hand.

Having painted a number of bike frames I would say that one of your biggest hurdles would be the roundness of the tubes and the complex intersection of tubes at the lugs. It would be very easy to get runs on the tubes if the paint didn't hit the tube square on and over splattering tubes at the lugs. The paint would have to have a bit of 'thickness' to help hold it's round form.

I think a test run to develop your technique would be important. Turning the frame constantly would be needed to help avoid runs and perhaps doing it in sections to allow the paint to go off before starting a new section would be important also. Got any old and unwanted bikes laying around?

I also think achieving a good result would mean much time devoted to the task.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 07:59 PM
  #9  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,557

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This thread had me look up all my favorite artist and try to decide what would be my choice for a livery... Somehow my mind gravitates towards a ultra happy/hipster keith haring fixie. O snap, wrong forum!
Italuminium is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 08:07 PM
  #10  
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6,028
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i definitely think a brush flicking method of some sort would be needed

looks really clean especially with the lugs painted all white. the Sante gruppo is also pure sex.. mmm
frantik is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 10:02 PM
  #11  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain View Post
I'm an old school teacher of art and sometimes a student would want a similar effect. We found the most consistent method of achieving a splatter was an old toothbrush dipped in paint then holding the toothbrush in one hand, with the bristles facing upwards, flick the bristles with an index fingernail of the opposite hand.

Having painted a number of bike frames I would say that one of your biggest hurdles would be the roundness of the tubes and the complex intersection of tubes at the lugs. It would be very easy to get runs on the tubes if the paint didn't hit the tube square on and over splattering tubes at the lugs. The paint would have to have a bit of 'thickness' to help hold it's round form.

I think a test run to develop your technique would be important. Turning the frame constantly would be needed to help avoid runs and perhaps doing it in sections to allow the paint to go off before starting a new section would be important also. Got any old and unwanted bikes laying around?

I also think achieving a good result would mean much time devoted to the task.
i've mastered this technique (although not on a bike), so i was originally thinking of trying to step up to a stiff scrub brush - we'll see how it goes. if i cannot, i'll go with a toothbrush (not all toothbrushes are created equal => the cheap ones work much better) - but i think it might take a while doing 5 spatter coats. i'd definitely do test runs before i go for the frame. now i need to find paint...
3373jones is offline  
Old 06-13-11, 11:55 PM
  #12  
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 2,686

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Good luck - your example photos do look pretty interesting with the assorted colour splatter.
Gary Fountain is offline  
Old 06-14-11, 12:12 AM
  #13  
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If thats a Bill Holland frame then the guy who painted that is still around. He is in the San Diego area, for a cool $800.00 (+ or -) he could paint your bike. I talked to him about a year ago or so. Lost the info. Google Bill Holland.
LAriverRat is offline  
Old 06-14-11, 12:22 AM
  #14  
you
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Francsico, CA
Posts: 324

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur '89

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bears a striking resemblance (save the paint job) to my John Hollands. I look forward to seeing the results! That's a Joe Bell paintjob, if Im not mistaken.
you is offline  
Old 06-14-11, 04:50 AM
  #15  
Glennfordx4 
Holy Spokes it's Batsman!
 
Glennfordx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,860

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3373jones View Post
I saw this bike on craigslist and fell in love. I want to emulate the paint job on my late 80s paramount - that has been repainted pink(ish) (powder coat i think, with a primer - the paint job is decent).






any one spatter painted a bike frame like this before? if so, care to share any techniques or tips?

Right now i'm thinking of using a stiff brush and dipping the bristles in the paint - then i'd using my fingers to go against the bristles and fling the paint onto the frame. I thought about spray paint, but not sure how to make it come out that course.

Also, any one know what type of paint might be best? I'm thinking enamel gloss - in 1/2 quart size cans. I cannot seem to find the colors i want though - so would be up for suggestions of what store to look in or where to find online. I'm thinking since the background is darkpinkish of going with bright green, light blue, white - and maybe dark blue and light purple. Yes, its sort of easter-y, but, hey, what can you do when you start with a pink background?

Finally, clear coat. I think it would be a good idea to clear coat afterward - i'll probably find some spray can stuff at the auto parts shop.
I have had a friend paint two motorcycle gas tanks and side covers for me in a splatter finish and that is how he did it, he used a stiff brush and flicks it with his fingers (wears gloves) and then clears it. I don't have any pics scanned into my computer of it and the bike is buried in my shed & covered so I can't get any but it came out just like that frame.

Glenn

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 06-14-11 at 04:54 AM.
Glennfordx4 is offline  
Old 06-14-11, 10:42 AM
  #16  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4 View Post
I have had a friend paint two motorcycle gas tanks and side covers for me in a splatter finish and that is how he did it, he used a stiff brush and flicks it with his fingers (wears gloves) and then clears it. I don't have any pics scanned into my computer of it and the bike is buried in my shed & covered so I can't get any but it came out just like that frame.

Glenn
cool. i'm going to give it a go.

and yes, that's a joe bell paint job. I'm up against the best!! we'll see how it goes luckily i am artistic.
3373jones is offline  
Old 06-14-11, 11:06 AM
  #17  
coda
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The correct way to do this is with a spray gun, altered reductions, air pressures and tips. I have done this for some people on special request. It's not that hard once you get it down.

I don't really like to do it because touch-ups are a *****. I can fix scratches and chips normally for a perfect match. But when someone wants something like this touched up I hate it.......
coda is offline  
Old 06-14-11, 01:26 PM
  #18  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coda View Post
The correct way to do this is with a spray gun, altered reductions, air pressures and tips. .
problem is, i don't have any of that.
3373jones is offline  
Old 09-13-11, 01:47 PM
  #19  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update sneak peak.

as found (I ended up with a 'free' frame after selling all the SS/fixed parts)





a couple more colors in the works before i clear coat her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P2180214.JPG (93.6 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by 3373jones; 09-13-11 at 02:02 PM.
3373jones is offline  
Old 09-13-11, 01:55 PM
  #20  
robertob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA USA
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats funny in a way because many early 90s Paramounts were spatter painted from the factory.
robertob is offline  
Old 09-13-11, 02:01 PM
  #21  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a waterford. i think it was the Japanese ones that were spatter painted... but yes, its somehow seems "OK" because of that.
3373jones is offline  
Old 09-13-11, 02:05 PM
  #22  
jeepr
Senior Member
 
jeepr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, you are artistic. Looks great.
jeepr is offline  
Old 09-13-11, 02:07 PM
  #23  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,035
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
that looks hella sweet.
himespau is offline  
Old 09-13-11, 02:13 PM
  #24  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,557

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice!
Italuminium is offline  
Old 09-13-11, 02:19 PM
  #25  
3373jones
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! cannot wait until i get the next couple of colors on. I'll take pictures of how i did it this time.
3373jones is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.