Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring wheelset Qs

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring wheelset Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 02:32 PM
you

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur '89

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring wheelset Qs

Hi there, I'm looking to build a new wheelset for my everyday bike/tourer (currently running 27" single wall Wolbers laced to old shimano hubs). I've got a spare CR-18 kicking around that I was going to lace to a dyno-hub and then set up a rear wheel with an asymmetrical rim (velocity synnergy) and a 130mm rear hub (bike is currently spaced to 126). The velocity rims, however, are wider (only by .5mm) than the CR 18. Could this pose any problems at all? Also, is the general wisdom in the touring community to use butted or straight gauge spokes?
Old 02-10-12, 03:13 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Differences in width shouldn't be an issue, assuming the tires you want to use will fit the rim. I frequently replace my Velocity Synergy rear wheel with the 19mm wide PowerTap wheel from my road bike... I'm a bit fan of butted spokes, but plenty of people seem to use straight-gauge spokes without problems.
Old 02-10-12, 05:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
0.5 mm? Pfft. Your pads will wear that much on a short stretch in the mountains.

There's a slight advantage to butted spokes on the non-drive side of a rear wheel; unless your tour is a Tour d' Something, straight spokes will do fine.
Old 02-10-12, 06:55 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you, I prefer DB spokes. That said, the first wheelset I've bought in many years with straight gauge spokes were for my tourer and I've been happy with them.

Brad
Old 02-11-12, 11:31 PM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote here for DB spokes, your build sounds like it should work well assuming it is properly tensioned but that can be said for most wheel builds.
Old 02-11-12, 11:59 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Double butted spokes are better, and worth the few extra cents per spoke, so if you're building from scratch, there is very little reason not to. However, the advantages (durability more than weight) are not nearly worth the hassle of rebuilding a wheel.