Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Taxi Federation Calls for Strict Bicycle Laws After Bloody Midtown Crash

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Taxi Federation Calls for Strict Bicycle Laws After Bloody Midtown Crash

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 09:15 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Understand he has a family to support, but so do the victims of traffic accidents.
Old 08-29-13, 09:46 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman
We don't. In the UK or the US, for the reasons outlined above, our right to be on the road is superior.
And the rights of cyclists to the road are not only superior due to law and regulation, but also due to social, ethical, and fiscal issues.
Old 08-29-13, 10:23 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
And the rights of cyclists to the road are not only superior due to law and regulation, but also due to social, ethical, and fiscal issues.
The moral superiority argument raised by cyclists is as bad as the "I paid for the road..." argument.

Roads are a public amenity, provided for the general welfare the same way as all other government services.

That some may choose cycling for ethical, health, social or whatever doesn't make them superior to those who make other decisions for their own reasons. Yes, some decisions are more or less costly, or better or worse for society, but that doesn't change anything. Is a married couple that chooses to have few or no children better than one who choose to have 5 because they are less a drain the education resources of their community?

This is the USofA, if you want others to respect your decisions, you have to accord them the same respect for theirs. Let's cut the about moral superiority, jealousy, envy, or whatever. We are all equals under the law, plain and simple.

BTW- I'm a full time cyclist, who gave up driving 4 years ago on July 4th as a personal "declaration of independence", because I felt my fuel dollars were supporting regimes who supported terrorism. It was a personal decision, of the kind we all make very day for various reasons. It doesn't make me any better than my neighbors who still drive.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-29-13, 04:58 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The moral superiority argument raised by cyclists is as bad as the "I paid for the road..." argument.
I said absolutely nothing about morality. When I use the word ethics, I mean normative ethics.

Roads are a public amenity, provided for the general welfare...
Argument from omniscience.

Also:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trafficon405freeway.jpg (60.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-29-13, 05:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
I said absolutely nothing about morality. When I use the word ethics, I mean normative ethics.
Had you said, that cycling or cyclists are morally or ethically superior, I wouldn' have said boo. But you said the rights to the road are superior, which is why I responded. Rights don't depend on moral or ethical superiority. All users share equal rights to the road. The oft repeated constitutional language specifying equal rights under the law doesn't condition that on being a good guy.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-29-13, 05:38 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Not in my book, as far as I'm concerned, he's done as a NYC cab driver. If he want's to be a cab driver, he needs to find a quieter city, something that he can better mentally handle.
LOL, I have a couple ideas where he can go to be a cabbie:

Either Kennesaw, GA (adult gun ownership is mandatory, let him act the fool there -- lived in GA for three years, seem to be collectively as dumb as Arkansas), or Mackinac Island, MI (no cars, let him drive a horse & carriage).
Old 08-30-13, 05:21 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"normative ethics, that part of moral philosophy, or ethics, concerned with criteria of what is morally right and wrong. It includes the formulation of moral rules that have direct implications for what human actions, institutions, and ways of life should be like."

Encyclopedia Britannia

obscure phrases or meanings set my BS-O-METER off-
Sure looked like a moral superiority claim-
Old 08-30-13, 08:08 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It may well be so in some cases; but, according to your supplied definition, normative ethics are a necessary part of society -- for example, society functions better when lying is frowned upon, not only legalistically, but morally. Not running people over with cars would be a good ethical stance, too, I think.

Your BS-o-meter seems to need recalibration.
Old 08-30-13, 09:22 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
"...taxi drivers had a right to be on the road, while bicyclists did not."
Based on the burning of a limited supply of fossil fuels, global warming, and "innocent" people forced to breathe the emissions from taxi cabs simply gives cyclists more right to be ON EARTH than that d-bag.
Old 09-12-13, 09:13 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"Power Comes from the barrel of a gun"
Mao usually gets credit for that, but pretty sure the ancient Greeks Romans Egyptians Chinese etc-would have said something similar.

No rights to be on the earth mean much without the raw power to enforce them.
Cabbies and bike riders- probably pretty far down the NYNY food chain-so interest has died down.Probably NYNY doesn't want to disturb tourists-give them the impression that they are in danger of rogue cabbies running them down.
Old 09-13-13, 11:45 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I read this and realize the Chicago, which copies every other city it seems, will probably follow suit. But we will have restrictions on which streets we can ride at certain times, with cameras to catch cyclists and automated courtrooms with computerized judges that randomly select a fine to present with no rationale as to the offense.

I really don't understand the issue with cycling in 98% of the US.....sigh
Old 09-13-13, 02:00 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Based on the burning of a limited supply of fossil fuels, global warming, and "innocent" people forced to breathe the emissions from taxi cabs simply gives cyclists more right to be ON EARTH than that d-bag.
Bullsh-t
Old 09-14-13, 05:15 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes: https://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...GDmYbkg3nggpzL Just not for cycling offences. So let's not get too carried away with the cabbie's sole responsibility for this appalling tragedy
I still put it on the cabbie. He has nine points on his license in the past three years for three major moving violations. Because, While bike messenger Kenneth Olivio does have 22 arrests on his rap sheet, that is beside the point and not the key element. Sure he can be blamed for starting the situation. It was still the cab driver who ultimately bears responsibility. Because the cab driver reacted and went after Mr. Olivio. Sure slapping the cab wasn't necessarily a smart thing to do. But he did it for a reason, and it wasn't one of instigating. Sure Mr. Olivio as 22 arrests, but that doesn't justify the cabbie's behavior.

The end result because of the behavior of BOTH the bike messenger and the cab driver, is that a British tourist suffered a nearly fatal injury.

Last edited by Chris516; 09-14-13 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-14-13, 05:53 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes: https://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...GDmYbkg3nggpzL Just not for cycling offences. So let's not get too carried away with the cabbie's sole responsibility for this appalling tragedy
So prior guilt for other offenses equals guilt here? How "drumhead" of you.....

Look it up.
Old 09-14-13, 06:45 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DX-MAN

Look it up.
They both have 'storied' pasts. Neither one of them is a stellar member of the community. Neither one of them can 'not' be faulted.
Old 09-14-13, 07:35 PM
vol

The cabbie's past stories are all traffic related; not the cyclist's.
Old 09-14-13, 07:48 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vol
The cabbie's past stories are all traffic related; not the cyclist's.
Doesn't mean the cabbie is any better. While the bike messenger has made lethal threats, the cabbie is a lethal threat with his driving record.
Old 09-14-13, 08:30 PM
vol

Originally Posted by Chris516
Doesn't mean the cabbie is any better. While the bike messenger has made lethal threats, the cabbie is a lethal threat with his driving record.
What I meant is, the cabbie's past stories are more relevant to this accident. (cf. post #60 )
Old 09-14-13, 10:36 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Another case these days where someone else is to blame, not the culprit!!!!
Old 09-14-13, 11:51 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vol
What I meant is, the cabbie's past stories are more relevant to this accident. (cf. post #60 )
I would still say, their respective histories' are equally relevant to how, they both behaved. The similarity is a record with law enforcement. While in a different context for both of them. They both have a bad attitude and that is the overriding factor.
Old 09-15-13, 08:25 AM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Look it up.
You have read to much into my post. I merely observed that we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that we could not automatically assume that the cabbie had of all the responsibility for the collision and its appalling consequences, based solely on the information available in the news. We do, after all, often complain about the inadequate detail given in the media when a cyclist is the victim.

Given the other information made available since, it seems entirely possible that the cabbie will be found responsible if and when it comes to trial. I say this without implying that he, in turn, should be subject to a "drumhead court martial".
Old 10-17-13, 06:34 PM
vol

I just found out that a shop owner whom I knew also drives taxi part-time. For all I (and others who know him) know, he's a very friendly and very respectful person. I asked him if he's a "good" cabbie or a "bad" one. His reply: "When I get off the taxi, I'm a very nice person [bowing his head], but when I'm driving taxi, I'm like every taxi driver! .... Taxi drivers don't think!" He then recounted how one day when he was driving his own car, he encountered an aggressive taxi driver and gave him a lesson.
Old 10-17-13, 07:36 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have read to much into my post. I merely observed that we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that we could not automatically assume that the cabbie had of all the responsibility for the collision and its appalling consequences, based solely on the information available in the news. We do, after all, often complain about the inadequate detail given in the media when a cyclist is the victim.

Given the other information made available since, it seems entirely possible that the cabbie will be found responsible if and when it comes to trial. I say this without implying that he, in turn, should be subject to a "drumhead court martial".
LOL. I wasn't TALKING about the cabbie's presumed guilt, I was talking about your reference to the cyclist's past as contributory guilt. Can you even keep your arguments straight?
Old 10-21-13, 05:14 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
LOL. I wasn't TALKING about the cabbie's presumed guilt, I was talking about your reference to the cyclist's past as contributory guilt. Can you even keep your arguments straight?
I didn't say that the cyclist's past demonstrated contributory guilt, only that, given his previous history, we shouldn't automatically assume that he had no responsibility. What came out in the news reports since seems to indicate, as far as they show, that the cabbie has a case to answer.
Old 10-21-13, 08:08 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't say that the cyclist's past demonstrated contributory guilt, only that, given his previous history, we shouldn't automatically assume that he had no responsibility. What came out in the news reports since seems to indicate, as far as they show, that the cabbie has a case to answer.
The cyclist's past history is irrelevant; he could banged on 100 car hoods or doors before, and it doesn't mean a thing. Absent a deadly threat, such as brandishing a weapon capable of injuring or killing the cabbie from outside the car, the cabbie had no business using his cab as a weapon. Hell, the cyclist could have brandished such a weapon a dozen or more times before, and it would be meaningless if he did not do so this time.

NAL, but i played a paralegal in the Army....

The best part of all of this is, the criminality of the incident (or absence thereof) will not bear on the civil suit available to the beautiful young lady who is now missing a limb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.