Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advice on upgrading a 96 Turner Burner

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-20-13, 09:00 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently picked up a 96 Turner Burner on Ebay and I was wondering if I should upgrade the suspension. Right now its got a mystery fork on it that the guy at the LBS guessed was some kind of old Rock Shox. The rear has an old Fox Float. Neither has any adjustments on them like a lock out, etc. So I was wanting to upgrade to a fork with a lock out. Iíve got v-brakes so my choices are limited. There are a couple of old Fox Float 100 RCLís out there. And Iíve got my eye on a Fox Float R pro pedal for the rear. My question for you is, would these make sense to upgrade on an old frame. I was wanting a Turner but I canít afford the $3k-$4k for a new Turner. So I went the ebay route and found this old classic. Now I want to upgrade it into a kick ass trail bike. Am looking for advice or suggestions on what the best route would be. Iím new to this mtb stuff so Iím still learning. Thanks. Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10-7-13 96 Turner V2 Burner.jpg (100.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-21-13, 07:39 PM
blilrat

Bikes: Somebody stole them all... I walk now.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great old bike!

You will have to be careful what fork you use on that bike. It was probably only spec'd with 2.5" - 3" of travel. The shock is much newer than the frame also - it was probably a Fox Alps 4 or 5 also with limited travel.
Old 10-21-13, 09:08 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame abuse should be obvious, so since you reported none, I'll assume it's been treated fairly well.

Turners are the "Lexus" of the mountain bike world. I'd redo it in a SECOND.