Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Spooky

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 06:24 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spooky

Has anyone else encountered a motorist who assumed a cyclist wanted to turn, when they weren't going to yet? I know I will get a 'What the' kind of reaction to my question.

Today, I was in the outside lane during PM rush on 40MPH road, everything was fine. I crossed over(there were three lanes on each side) to the inside lane. After I crossed over to the inside lane in preparation to get into a left turn-only lane, the motorist in front of me(yes, in front of me), kept shouting from her car to get off the road, even though I was behind her. She kept intentionally weaving in the lane, motioning with her car to turn off at the nearest left-turn. Even though the left turn I had to make, was not even close yet.

I wish had a GoPro Hero HD3 video to show. Because I still can't believe that it happened.
Old 10-24-13, 06:40 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont worry, she just wanted your number
Old 10-24-13, 06:45 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by italktocats
dont worry, she just wanted your number
ROTFLMHO!!!!
Old 10-24-13, 07:00 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Obviously she was not down with the VC riding mode. Were you keeping up with the 40MPH traffic since you were in the left lane?
Old 10-24-13, 07:19 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Obviously she was not down with the VC riding mode. Were you keeping up with the 40MPH traffic since you were in the left lane?
Around here, on a six-lane 40mph road during PM-Rush, traffic doesn't go above 25-30mph, so I was definitely keeping up with the traffic. It is one of the most congested regions in the U.S.
Old 10-24-13, 08:10 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once again, proof of what I read years ago:

"The 3 greatest drives in the human animal are:
1. Survival;
2. Reproduction;
3. Telling the Next Guy his Business."
Old 10-25-13, 10:30 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
She was most likely ignorant about how cyclists should ride and share the the road. More education and awareness programs could help lessen ignorance, if not all inappropriate behavior.
Old 10-25-13, 12:31 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Was this a road with a center raised median? Or was there a center turn lane that turns into a left-turn only lane at an intersection?

Reading it again I guess you crossed over the lanes and ended up behind a car who started yelling at you, who you were not holding up in any way, and who (I'm guessing) you probably waited for to pass before you crossed over the lanes? Cagers
Old 10-25-13, 05:18 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Looigi
She was most likely ignorant about how cyclists should ride and share the the road. More education and awareness programs could help lessen ignorance, if not all inappropriate behavior.
Yes, Except that she was in front of me. Not behind me. That is the spooky part. Not majorly, but spooky all the same.

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Was this a road with a center raised median? Or was there a center turn lane that turns into a left-turn only lane at an intersection?

Reading it again I guess you crossed over the lanes and ended up behind a car who started yelling at you, who you were not holding up in any way, and who (I'm guessing) you probably waited for to pass before you crossed over the lanes? Cagers
It was a six-lane road with a raised concrete median. A left-turn only lane starts some time before each potential turn.

Crossing over from the outside lane, over the middle lane to the inside lane was no problem. While it was PM-Rush, all the traffic going that direction, was stuck at a red light so, I was able to crossover with ease.

Yes, That is correct. I got behind a motorist who kept moving her car, all over the lane, in the hopes I would just turn left and get off the road. I could hear her yelling because she never honked her horn or made any other reference to the motorist in front of her.
Old 10-26-13, 07:38 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Yes, Except that she was in front of me. Not behind me. That is the spooky part. Not majorly, but spooky all the same.....
I think this actually exemplifies my point. She was not agitated because she thought you were impeding her progress, as is most often the case with bike/motorist confrontations. It could be interpreted as an attempt by her to convey to you that what you were doing was wrong and unacceptable.