Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Zwift training/workout/racing thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Zwift training/workout/racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 02:44 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And on the same day that Greipel was on. Not sure if the same time though.
Old 02-14-16, 03:09 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CDR lives a double life.
Old 02-15-16, 12:12 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
And on the same day that Greipel was on. Not sure if the same time though.
Huh. I was on the same time, if the screen shots were about the same time. I started 1:01 PM, screenshot posted at 1:14 PM. I don't think he sprinted for real, if it was him, because he'd be able to smash everyone.

I got absolutely annihilated in the sprints that day. I got the green early then lost it in maybe a minute, did a 22.89. Next guy did a 20.5. I was like, damn, okay. Then others did low 21s etc. Even Wentz, who was just under me, did a 21.x I think.

One thing is that there's an emulator out there where you can put down whatever watts you want. Like electronic motor doping, if you will.

I'm okay for a 22.x pretty much, 23.x without any boost, best I think is 20.9 or maybe a 21.0. I have to get back to doing 950w for 23s to do a 21.x, and I think it'll take about 1000w for 23s to do a 20.5. I think a leadout (28-30 mph going into left curve of Watopia, or into U-turn at Richmond), aero boost, and 1000w would break 20s on Watopia. I enter the jump points at about 20-21 mph so not having to accelerate 8 mph would be huge.

I watched a "flier" do 1200w steady for the Watopia sprint, it took 18.8s. So that's the max, if you will, which was a nice reference point. I think Greipel would be above that for 18s, but he'd have to be going about 41 mph entering the sprint. I know on the road I've done 1100w for 18s but that's it, meaning no effort to get the speed up before the jump, etc, I'd have to be really flying before I jumped.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-03-16, 09:08 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Anyone else having troubles launching zwift lately? Last few days I get just past the login screen and then the zwift app stops responding. If I kill the laucher in task manger and try again it usually works but not always. Today it took like 4 tries before it loaded.
Old 03-03-16, 09:58 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was an update earlier this week. No problems here.
Old 03-03-16, 10:12 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
with el nino coming back...I might have to sign up for a month
Old 03-04-16, 03:25 PM
carpediemracing 

My phone app side locks up now and again, and when I re-start it sometimes doesn't log in. Well "sometimes" should be "often". Updated that, it really hasn't been stable for a couple updates now.

On the computer side the app is fine.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-08-16, 06:33 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I'm now training for my first official road race in May. 43 miles. Mostly flat, short uphill finish 4% for maybe 1km.

I try to do at least 1 workout on Zwift a week + 2 other rides (starting to get outdoors finally). Are there any Zwift workouts I should concentrate on? Should I do 2 or 3 workouts per week?

Help is appreciated!
Old 03-08-16, 08:10 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I signed up again... just for a month and I hope to cancel since I really prefer riding outside. Did a little Z2 and average like 150w.. sweating a lot more then I would outside for sure. If it rains atleast I have options... slogged around in the wet last saturday.. no fun.
Old 03-11-16, 06:55 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I've been pondering something, as lately the only riding I've been doing is once a week during one of the organized races, regarding dumb trainer/power meter vs smart trainer. Essentially, wouldn't someone with a smart trainer be at an advantage because they could actually feel the effects of drafting? Don't really care ultimately, as I just do them for a good steady state workout, but if anyone has ever tried both would be interested in hearing your experience
Old 03-11-16, 11:03 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I've been pondering something, as lately the only riding I've been doing is once a week during one of the organized races, regarding dumb trainer/power meter vs smart trainer. Essentially, wouldn't someone with a smart trainer be at an advantage because they could actually feel the effects of drafting? Don't really care ultimately, as I just do them for a good steady state workout, but if anyone has ever tried both would be interested in hearing your experience
Interesting thought.

The avatar "sits up" when you're drafting, so you can sort of tell on a dumb trainer (which is how I Zwift). A smart trainer is out of my league right now so not part of my world.
Old 03-11-16, 11:09 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
did you just call my trainer dumb?
Old 03-11-16, 11:24 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't we all call our trainers much worse than dumb on a regular basis?
Old 03-11-16, 12:14 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
Don't we all call our trainers much worse than dumb on a regular basis?
Maybe I'm unique, but I tend to curse at myself more than the trainer when I'm on it.

Old 03-11-16, 12:17 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
did you just call my trainer dumb?
Ha, no I actually love it. My other one has my wife's mtn bike at the moment (although not getting any use, I'm the only one that likes suffering I guess!)
Old 03-11-16, 08:22 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Bikes: Hate me.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After over 5 months exclusively on the trainer, I am more than ready to be back on pavement. As soon as the ice clears (don't want to risk injury before the season starts), I'll be back out there and the trainer dungeon equipment will be covered with sheets to keep the dust off of it. Zwift was fun and all, but it doesn't hold a candle to actual pavement under the wheels. I just hope I still get power ups once race season starts, because I'm not sure I can climb, draft, or sprint without them.
Old 03-11-16, 10:28 PM
carpediemracing 

Me, on the other hand... I'm trying to get my rocking/tilting trainer frame up and running. I want a better way of doing power, so an Ant+ powermeter instead of the wired SRM (which doesn't talk to Zwift).

I'm hoping I race before August 4th this year, which is the last day I rode outside in 2015, and it was a Tues Night Race.
Old 03-18-16, 08:45 AM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new mountain route is suitably long- long enough that I only got a third of the way up it. To be fair, I had already done a forward and reverse lap of the island before I started, but it ain't no 3 minute climb. I was wondering if I would see it before I started riding on the road, but recent snowfall has delayed my triumphant return a bit.
Old 03-18-16, 08:58 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Me, on the other hand... I'm trying to get my rocking/tilting trainer frame up and running. I want a better way of doing power, so an Ant+ powermeter instead of the wired SRM (which doesn't talk to Zwift).

I'm hoping I race before August 4th this year, which is the last day I rode outside in 2015, and it was a Tues Night Race.
Come party at Lime Rock again!
Old 03-18-16, 10:59 AM
carpediemracing 

The new climb - I chose the mountain figure 8, rode for an hour pretty hard for me, hit the top at just over an hour, like 1:01 or something. I was 2.5x slower than KOM, which is about right. KOM was 20 min when I started, did the climb in 48 min or so. KOM was 18 min and change by the time I finished.

I think I'll be doing this regularly since I don't get the temptation to sit and sprint. I work pretty hard, like 2x my normal, which means 1.7-2 w/kg instead of 0.7-1 w/kg. 2 w/kg is (crit) race pace for me on Zwift, based on SRM numbers, and about as hard as I ever ride in real life.
Old 03-18-16, 10:59 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Come party at Lime Rock again!
I wish!
Old 03-18-16, 01:42 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I enjoyed the mountain routes. I got on there early so had a chance to be top ten on the strava leaderboards for a while too. Then the ridiculous times started to fill out the boards. Oh well.
Old 03-24-16, 03:17 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the Pretzel last week, and I think that's about as much as I ever want to do on the trainer- just under 2 hours and 20 minutes. The climbs were nice in that they had new scenery to keep me engaged, but there's only so much I want to dedicate to sitting in one place and grinding.

Spending the week down in San Antonio riding on actual pavement has left me less enthused for the trainer. 2-4 hours on the bike and then all the wrong foods and lots of beer to offset the gains. I'm going to roll into this season with quite a roll.
Old 04-11-16, 09:20 PM
carpediemracing 

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2016-04-11_Zwift-69mph.jpg (100.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 04-12-16, 07:07 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.