Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

First Race on a Fat Bike (Paris 2 Ancaster 70Km)

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

First Race on a Fat Bike (Paris 2 Ancaster 70Km)

Old 04-30-19, 07:19 PM
  #1  
Carl J
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 53

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
First Race on a Fat Bike (Paris 2 Ancaster 70Km)

I've done this race a couple of times before, but first time doing this, or anything like this, on a Fat Bike.

Not going to lie, it was tough. On the flats, I did pretty well. But was a struggle when the wind was anything more than a breeze, or the hills were more than a 2%.

Oh, and the mud. This thing is definitely not good when the mud is thick. The tires grab so much of it, that the rear ones wouldn't turn. And the bike must of weighed over 60lbs (had to have it power washed before finishing the race. The bike is pretty clean in the photo).

With that said, I did however, somehow, manage to average the exact same speed as last year, which was done on my gravel bike. So pretty pleased with that.

Enjoyed it so much, thinking of entering another race in a couple of weeks time.





Carl J is offline  
Old 05-01-19, 10:07 PM
  #2  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Same time? So you either got in much better shape from the last race or the fat bike did give you some advantage.
You don't sound enthused, though
MarcusT is offline  
Old 05-04-19, 12:40 AM
  #3  
Carl J
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 53

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
Same time? So you either got in much better shape from the last race or the fat bike did give you some advantage.
You don't sound enthused, though
The exact same official average speed as the previous year (20.1kmh/12.49mph).

In some areas, I think the fat bike had an advantage over the gravel (shallow mud, water soaked lawns).

But, any sort of incline or wind, you really feel it compared to a lighter gravel bike (but because of the gearing, this is slower, but easier to get up steep hills).

Overall, I'm pretty happy. There's a few spots that I could have handled differently (carry, don't drag bike through mud that's a foot deep), but you learn for next year.
Carl J is offline  
Old 05-05-19, 12:05 AM
  #4  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
The exact same official average speed as the previous year (20.1kmh/12.49mph).

In some areas, I think the fat bike had an advantage over the gravel (shallow mud, water soaked lawns).

But, any sort of incline or wind, you really feel it compared to a lighter gravel bike (but because of the gearing, this is slower, but easier to get up steep hills).

Overall, I'm pretty happy. There's a few spots that I could have handled differently (carry, don't drag bike through mud that's a foot deep), but you learn for next year.
Another consideration is your tires and air pressure. I know when I switched to another set of tires, it seemed like the bike rode twice as fast.
MarcusT is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 11:26 AM
  #5  
fishboy316 
Senior Member
 
fishboy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Arnold Maryland
Posts: 285

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I also think tires could help. I changed my wheels and tires over to 27.5 with 3.8 Hodags on my Farley 7 and made all the difference in the world. Kept most of the climbing power and seem to be much faster. In normal conditions I run @8-10 lbs. Really changed the performance of the bike! Just FYI. I ran it in a 16 mile race in Maryland and finished 3rd in my class at 60YO.
fishboy316 is offline  
Old 05-14-19, 09:08 AM
  #6  
Carl J
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 53

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
Another consideration is your tires and air pressure. I know when I switched to another set of tires, it seemed like the bike rode twice as fast.
Still fairly new to off-roading, and especially fat biking, so not sure which tires I could have used instead of these.

I've heard great things about the Jumbo Jims, but they're probably not the best for paved surfaces (although am surprised at their speed). Was thinking of switching to the Vee Rubber Speedsters (but for this race, their width wouldn't let me into the Fat Bike category).

The pressure I'm still toying with. Did previously have them at 20psi when doing mostly road. Had them at 10psi for this race, and must say, it's a lot easier on the body (less bouncing).
Carl J is offline  
Old 05-14-19, 09:12 AM
  #7  
Carl J
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 53

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
I also think tires could help. I changed my wheels and tires over to 27.5 with 3.8 Hodags on my Farley 7 and made all the difference in the world. Kept most of the climbing power and seem to be much faster. In normal conditions I run @8-10 lbs. Really changed the performance of the bike! Just FYI. I ran it in a 16 mile race in Maryland and finished 3rd in my class at 60YO.
Congrats on your placement!

Did you have to change your rims to put the 27.5s on (I've heard that there are some tires that fit on 26ers but have the same size as 27.5s)?

I'd really like to go with 27.5s, I just don't want to buy new rims just yet (have other bikes that need loving too, which gets expensive, and there's other upgrades, 1x, that I'd like to do first).

Thanks for the suggestion
Carl J is offline  
Old 05-14-19, 11:37 AM
  #8  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
Still fairly new to off-roading, and especially fat biking, so not sure which tires I could have used instead of these.

I've heard great things about the Jumbo Jims, but they're probably not the best for paved surfaces (although am surprised at their speed). Was thinking of switching to the Vee Rubber Speedsters (but for this race, their width wouldn't let me into the Fat Bike category).

The pressure I'm still toying with. Did previously have them at 20psi when doing mostly road. Had them at 10psi for this race, and must say, it's a lot easier on the body (less bouncing).
Check out

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...t-bike-reviews

I don't believe it's 100%, but it's a good place to start
MarcusT is offline  
Old 05-19-19, 07:26 PM
  #9  
FatBikerKP
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Goa India
Posts: 6

Bikes: Fat Bike Fatoboy 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
I also think tires could help. I changed my wheels and tires over to 27.5 with 3.8 Hodags on my Farley 7 and made all the difference in the world. Kept most of the climbing power and seem to be much faster. In normal conditions I run @8-10 lbs. Really changed the performance of the bike! Just FYI. I ran it in a 16 mile race in Maryland and finished 3rd in my class at 60YO.
Thats surely a great suggestion.
FatBikerKP is offline  
Old 05-23-19, 10:39 AM
  #10  
fishboy316 
Senior Member
 
fishboy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Arnold Maryland
Posts: 285

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
Congrats on your placement!

Did you have to change your rims to put the 27.5s on (I've heard that there are some tires that fit on 26ers but have the same size as 27.5s)?

I'd really like to go with 27.5s, I just don't want to buy new rims just yet (have other bikes that need loving too, which gets expensive, and there's other upgrades, 1x, that I'd like to do first).

Thanks for the suggestion
I sure do get that! Got 34 at the house. I did change out the wheels. It was worth it. I found a set of Bontrager Jackalopes with cassette and Hodag tires on them for $300. hubs lasted about 2 years and I rebuilt with DT swiss 350 big ride. AWESOME!
fishboy316 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Caliper
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
23
10-03-18 03:24 PM
valleysuper
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
11
04-26-18 09:55 AM
yooperbiker
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
24
11-29-15 07:49 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.