Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Do the Gravel King SK's kick up a lot of rocks?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Do the Gravel King SK's kick up a lot of rocks?

Old 09-11-19, 01:25 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I personally think the MSO is the best mixed terrain tire. I've done everything from long gravel rail trails to racing dry cyclocross races on them with decent results. I've run treads similar to rambler and its just a bit too slow on pave for an all arounder to me.
Old 09-11-19, 03:10 PM
redlude97

Also, has anyone tried the new vittoria terrano mix in 38c? That could be a pretty fast all around tire
Old 09-12-19, 08:39 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I personally think the MSO is the best mixed terrain tire. I've done everything from long gravel rail trails to racing dry cyclocross races on them with decent results. I've run treads similar to rambler and its just a bit too slow on pave for an all arounder to me.
Yep, the MSO is a good choice for mixed terrain and loose surfaces. I'm surprised you thik the rambler is slow. The Ramblers take about 20 watts each. You can do maybe 2-3 watts better with some tires, but not much.

The MSO on the other hand is a bit draggy, fairly heavy, and a bit wobbly on a fast turn with good traction. Then again, a lot of my gravel here is smoother than our asphalt - so I want a fast hard pack tire for that - but then it changes quickly to chunky gravel around the next bend. Ramblers do both. Personally I want to be able to dive into a hard dry turn and not have the tread distort on me. Something like the GK-SK, Rambler or G-one do that well. MSO not so much.
Old 09-12-19, 08:40 AM
chas58

Also, has anyone tried the new vittoria terrano mix in 38c? That could be a pretty fast all around tire
I have a friend that used them for the 200+ mile C2C. He liked them for a long fast dry course like that.
Old 09-12-19, 09:59 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Well, specifically on Michigan Rail Trail (or any limestone trail in the state), GK-SK kinda suck.
Curious - why would you choose them over a rambler?
I was looking for something narrower than the 38mm Rambler to go with a future aero wheel purchase. If there was a 32-35mm Rambler, I would be looking there since I love my 40 and 45mm ones... Will probably end up with a G-One Speed at this point.
Old 09-12-19, 11:49 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by chas58
Yep, the MSO is a good choice for mixed terrain and loose surfaces. I'm surprised you thik the rambler is slow. The Ramblers take about 20 watts each. You can do maybe 2-3 watts better with some tires, but not much.

The MSO on the other hand is a bit draggy, fairly heavy, and a bit wobbly on a fast turn with good traction. Then again, a lot of my gravel here is smoother than our asphalt - so I want a fast hard pack tire for that - but then it changes quickly to chunky gravel around the next bend. Ramblers do both. Personally I want to be able to dive into a hard dry turn and not have the tread distort on me. Something like the GK-SK, Rambler or G-one do that well. MSO not so much.
Thats probabaly the difference in our experience. When I refer to speed/rr I am mostly referring to pavement performance. We usually have to ride significant road prior to getting to gravel or single track and the solid center tread rolls faster to me than a rambler. We also arrnt dealing with much dry hardback and I'm pulling the MSOs out for damp and or muddy conditions where squirm and deformation are exactly what I want. Otherwise I just ride high volume slicks even on easy single track ie compass switchback hills or gravelking slicks. If I want a burly tread for railing turns I'm usually pulling out my cyclocross bike and a cross wheel from the quiver so I'm probabaly not the best guage of an all around tire
Old 09-17-19, 01:17 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I did not mean the Riddler, it is not as good a tire as the Resolute. The Resolute is a pure-bred gravel tire, which should be obvious comparing the weights of the 700cx42 to the Riddler 700cx45 - the latter is 100 grams heavier but barely 3mm wider and no taller, it's a down-sized mtb tire with a stiffer, heavier tire carcass. My response was to the broad generalization of "best mixed-terrain tire" - specific width was not stated and is not relevant. Some would argue the 60mm G-One is the best, I argue the 42mm Resolute is the best. It gives up very little on pavement and performs exceptionally on gravel.
Good info. I checked out some reviews of them and the Resolute does seem to have a lot of advantages over the Riddler (gosh, those names are so confusing). I'll have to add it to my shortlist. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-20-19, 09:10 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Based on this thread, ended up buying the GK SK's and then returning them for the Vittoria Terrano Dry's. Hoping they'll be a decent step up in cornering over my G-One All-Around's.
Old 09-20-19, 01:45 PM
chas58

Let us know how it goes. What did you not like about the G-one? no bite in turns?

I don't know that side knobs really give any additional traction, but they sure do make breakaway characteristics different.

One of my favorite all time tires was a Panaraces Mach SS I bought in the '90s. Very fast with smooth (diamond) center, yet with lugs for hard bite when cornering. I could do anything on that tire - and it taught me to have a smooth cadence on tough mountain bike climbs.
Old 09-20-19, 03:50 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Based on this thread, ended up buying the GK SK's and then returning them for the Vittoria Terrano Dry's. Hoping they'll be a decent step up in cornering over my G-One All-Around's.
Interested to know why you took them back ... did you try them 1st????

I was running 38mm GK SK's last winter and they performed as well as my friends MTB's with much bigger knobbly's in the winter mud, I switched them for Vittoria Voyager Hypers for the summer and had a nasty accident turning from concrete farm track to gravel path which I think was largely due to lack of grip so switched the tyres back to the GK's.

I do get the odd ping of gravel but I'd say it's not nearly as bad as the Hypers were.

Interested to hear how you get on with the Terranos as well when you've used them a bit more as we're probably all searching for that ever illusive perfect tyre for every condition .
Old 09-22-19, 09:35 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Good call.
Old 09-23-19, 06:12 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Interested to know why you took them back ... did you try them 1st????

I was running 38mm GK SK's last winter and they performed as well as my friends MTB's with much bigger knobbly's in the winter mud, I switched them for Vittoria Voyager Hypers for the summer and had a nasty accident turning from concrete farm track to gravel path which I think was largely due to lack of grip so switched the tyres back to the GK's.

I do get the odd ping of gravel but I'd say it's not nearly as bad as the Hypers were.

Interested to hear how you get on with the Terranos as well when you've used them a bit more as we're probably all searching for that ever illusive perfect tyre for every condition .
Didn't use them. Too many reports of the SK's flinging gravel, particularly small crushed limestone like the trails I ride on.